Recording Phone Calls

1 view

Mike B

May 1, 2006, 10:00:33 AM5/1/06
to podcastacademy2
Hello,

I attended the Podcast Academy, it was great, I am looking forward to
the next one and especially Iike being able to use this group to ask
others their best practices, it will be a great resource.

I am looking to purchase the JK Audio Digital Hybrid which was
recommended by the Academy.

My current setup for Podcasting is using a Mac and a MOTU audio
interface for recording. The two hosts of the Podcast simply have mics
that go into the the MOTU. I will soon need to add the ability of
having phone calls come in for the two hosts to converse with. My
question is, how do I get the two hosts to hear the caller using the JK
Audio?

Do I plug in speakers to the JK audio? Or do I just have the Polycon
phone that will be plugged into the JK audio have its speaker on?

The two hosts will not be using headsets, or rather I would not want
them to.

Thanks in advance for your time,
Mike

Henry Howard

May 1, 2006, 5:42:17 AM5/1/06
to podcast...@googlegroups.com
You will need to add a mixer to your arsonal of equipment to
the use JK Hybrid or a Telos One.
The mixer is needed to create the mix minus for the hybrid.
You should also have both of your host use headphones to
hear the caller. If your problem with using headphones is the
size, you could use earbuds or a light weitht under the chin style.

Most mixers have sufficient volume in their head phone circuits
to allow you to use a Y-cord to connect two sets of headphones.
I would suggest if you use the Y-cord approach, use headphones
that have an in line volume control so that each user can adjust
the volume to their own personal comfort.

The better way to handle this is to you a small headphone amplifier
box that provides each user with their own headphone amplifier and
volume control.

Here is a list of candidates for headphone amplifiers:
http://www.bswusa.com/searchresult.asp?searchType=category&subcat=ampl-headp

I believe that Doug had a connection slide in his presentation, but
you can find a quick and dirty diagram here:
http://www.audiotheater.com/phone/hybridsetup.html

Henry Howard 770 923 7955 770 823 8796 Cell
Audio Craft - Studio and Location recording.
Atlanta, Georgia and the SE