PodCamp Columbus Ohio 2011 rescheduled for April 2nd?

Angelo Mandato

Jan 28, 2011, 11:32:20 AM1/28/11
to PodCamp Ohio
All,

We have a great opportunity to still have a PodCamp Columbus 2011 Thanks to Doug Dangler. I will let Doug fill in details, but Doug organizes the Digital Media in a Social World (DMSW) Conference this April 1-2nd and can host the PodCamp Columbus 2011 on that Saturday, April 2nd during the DMSW conference.

Unless anyone has any objections, I think this is an excellent opportunity to continue PodCamp Columbus Ohio this year.

Thanks,
Angelo

--
PodCamp Ohio
Twitter: www.twitter.com/podcampohio

Sheila English

Jan 28, 2011, 11:34:17 AM1/28/11
to podca...@googlegroups.com
I would love to be able to attend both! This sounds like a great idea!

Sheila

Sheila Clover English, CEO
Circle of Seven Productions
www.cosproductions.com
Reader's Entertainment Group

Barry Cullum

Jan 28, 2011, 11:40:04 AM1/28/11
to podca...@googlegroups.com
How would this work with the speakers?  I am assuming not many sessions are ready.  I could speak again (actually I would really like to speak again, and the new date makes it possible)

SPaMCAST Info

Jan 28, 2011, 12:32:01 PM1/28/11
to podca...@googlegroups.com

Sounds wonderful, getting material ready for PC Toronto could easily do it both places.

Daniel Lewis

Jan 28, 2011, 1:15:35 PM1/28/11
to podca...@googlegroups.com
I'm a little cautious about the idea of combining PodCamp with another conference again. There are ways that a PodCamp is supposed to be run (generally free, anyone can speak, simultaneous sessions, etc.). Would these conflict with DMSW? Would PodCamp or DMSW suffer by each receiving half the attention?

I'm all for having a PodCamp Columbus this year (it'll help for promoting PodCamp Cleveland 2 on May 1 and PodCamp Cincinnati in mid-October), and I'm sure Doug could host it, but I'm just not sure about combining PodCamp and DMSW.

Faithfully,

Daniel J. Lewis
Freelance digital designer—D.Joseph Design
Podcaster on entertainment, Christian critical-thinking, and podcasting—Noodle.mx Network

Connect with me: LinkedIn Twitter YouTube Tungle.me

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Angelo Mandato <ang...@podcampohio.com> wrote:

Doug Dangler

Jan 31, 2011, 10:47:34 AM1/31/11
to podca...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for the great questions. I suggested co-hosting to Angelo as a way to take the pressure off him and still allow the event to take place. We already have everything in place to allow for a conference (space, registration, time commitments) and working with PodCamp seems like a great addition. To answer the questions raised:
-The event is free
-Anyone is encouraged to speak.
-We have plenty of space for presenters and two months to allow for preparation

Next year, I assume that PodCamp will return to independent status and I am happy to provide a place for it.

So I see this as a win-win for both groups. I don't think attendance will suffer for either, and the opportunities for generative collaboration are great.

Thanks,
Doug

Angelo Mandato

Jan 31, 2011, 3:22:55 PM1/31/11
to podca...@googlegroups.com
I think this is a good alternative to not having a PodCamp. We do need to move fast though, we do not have that much time to decide and start putting it together.

--angelo

Barry Cullum

Jan 31, 2011, 3:27:33 PM1/31/11
to podca...@googlegroups.com
I am pretty much ready to speak if need be.  It will be a rehash of the presentation I did two years ago, but I can do it and have increased the power point on it.  I guess that might be one less slot needing to fill

Daniel Lewis

SPaMCAST Info

Jan 31, 2011, 4:32:19 PM1/31/11
to podca...@googlegroups.com

I will have something ready . . .

Doug Dangler

Feb 2, 2011, 4:22:07 PM2/2/11
to podca...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The functioning of the conference is open to however the groups think would work best. The conferences will share the Mendenhall space and there will probably be a lot of exchange between the two. Attendees can attend whichever sessions they'd like, since both conferences are free (i.e., "vote with your feet"). We could have separate opening sessions, but I'm in favor of joint, since this allows for a lot of collaborative possibilities and exposing different people to new ideas. Rooms could be divided or mixed.

Doug

Angelo Mandato

Feb 15, 2011, 9:33:44 AM2/15/11
to podca...@googlegroups.com
Hey Everyone,

I already spoke with Doug, I'm sorry to say I don't have any time right now to help with getting this started in such short notice. Sorry if we got everyone's hopes up. I will say that the Digital  Media in a Social World conference is very much like a PodCamp and would encourage everyone to check it out. Link for more details: http://dmsw.osu.edu/

Remember there are still 2 other PodCamps scheduled this year in Ohio, www.podcampcleveland.com and www.podcampcincinnati.com.

Angelo

SPaMCAST Info

Feb 15, 2011, 9:53:04 AM2/15/11