Your help is very much appreciated!

Wolfgang Slany

May 3, 2015, 4:50:14 AM5/3/15
to pocke...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Catrobat is a free/libre open source software (FOSS/FLOSS) non-profit project driven by volunteers from more than 25 countries. We are slower than a commercial project but on the other hand are independent of any financing and have a very long term perspective, the first (being slow) and the latter (long term) also since we produce high quality maintenance documentation so that our software can be easily extended. Details about our FLOSS licenses are available at https://catrob.at/licenses and the list of contributors is available at https://catrob.at/credits

We welcome new supporters and contributors, not only as a developer but, e.g., in any kind of role as found in other FOSS projects, and we are grateful for all help and support. Some of it could include (in random order, some overlapping, all of them being important, and not limited to):
  • creating nice programs with Pocket Code ;-)
  • promoting Pocket Code in afternoon clubs or in schools
  • applying for research grants about Pocket Code and then conducting the research and publishing about it (contact me if you want us to cooperate)
  • creating tutorials
  • translations to new languages, fixing incorrect translations, adding missing translations. Please see https://translate.catrobat.org/ on how to contribute, or contact us via tran...@catrobat.org telling us for which language you would be able to help. Even languages already partly translated and non-system languages not directly supported are welcome, first because additional phrases and words need to be translated as we are continuing to develop our apps and because this also allows to share the work among several volunteer translators, and second because we are working on a way to switch manually to languages not yet supported by the operating systems.
  • helping new users in the forums (this Google group at https://catrob.at/forum and our discord group at https://catrob.at/dpc)
  • adding articles in your language(s) to wikis, both external ones such as Wikipedia as well as our own https://catrob.at/wiki
  • recommending the project to others
  • evangelizing
  • writing reviews and giving stars on Google Play, iTunes, and other markets or webpages
  • writing blog entries, Instagram or facebook reviews etc
  • create tutorial videos you post online
  • marketing in any kind and form, e.g., organizing Game Jams with Catrobat
  • testing and reporting bugs, e.g., testing on devices we do not have
  • fixing bugs
  • supporting the infrastructure of the project, e.g., maintaining the continuous integration server
  • checking and improving security and privacy issues
  • improving project automation, e.g., automatic population of Google Play etc with updated translations, monitoring servers, secure and effective backup of all data, and similar things
  • requesting new features
  • writing and updating software
  • refactoring (small to large scale), improving the internal design and structure of the software
  • improving tests and test coverage
  • creating artwork (graphics, sounds) for the media packages included with Pocket Code
  • creating artwork for our software
  • creating artwork for our web presences
  • usability and user experience testing, feedback, and improvements
  • donating hardware (online or physical, servers or devices, robots or phones)
  • donating money we can invest on all aspects described above
  • donating ad space
  • donating your creativity in any form not mentioned above
  • organizing and managing the project, the subteams
  • I'm sure I forgot many things, so please suggest it in replies to this posting
Please contact me at con...@catrobat.org if you want to help.

One final request: It would help us a lot when you rate and review us favorably on Google Play and iTunes etc, as these ratings and reviews motivate new users to install our apps. Unfortunately, old less favorable ratings due to already solved bugs or previously missing features almost never go away, so it is really difficult to overcome older bad ratings even though these bugs may have long been corrected. So please, help us with good rating and reviews :-)

Kind Regards,

Wolfgang

NB: Some of the points listed above has been inspired by the following pages:

Joseph Suarez

Jun 28, 2015, 7:50:23 PM6/28/15
to pocke...@googlegroups.com
Dear Wolfgang,

It would really cool if you could play my app "go to sleep". I worked really hard on it.:)

Wolfgang Slany

Jun 30, 2015, 1:17:32 PM6/30/15
to pocke...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joseph,

I just tried it, and it is a great start!

By the way, it is possible to add short comments into scripts. There's a "Note" brick in the Control category of bricks.

Please consider submitting a game to the Pocket Code Game Jam that still runs until Friday 2015-7-3 23:59 (GMT+1), see https://groups.google.com/d/msg/pocketcode/CPN438WaM_U/zeqmFIThAbYJ for details.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

Slobben Dink

Oct 6, 2015, 10:08:51 PM10/6/15
to Pocket Code Forum
Wolfgang,

I love your app and would like to get into it more. Tutorials are hard to find but this might be
because many users would not know how to make a tutorial of an app running on a phone.

There's good one in German (I can't understand it) but the tutorial is well made; it's clear and
the finger interaction is highlighted by an indicator/icon without a finger getting in the way.

Maybe users would make more tutorials, and generate more interest (snowball) if you could provide
some pointers on how to make tutorials in this environment.

Wolfgang Slany

Oct 24, 2015, 6:04:06 AM10/24/15
to Pocket Code Forum
Dear Slobben,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion!

We have started to produce tutorials, which are currently mainly meant to be used by teachers. If you can create any kind of tutorials in your language, we would love to include it on our educators site. The site is still beta, but you can have a look on it via the http://education.catrobat.org/ website. There are still many things missing, but we are working actively on it together with educators and teachers. E.g, please have a look at https://edu.catrob.at/fundamental-online-workshop including the sublinks on the left, e.g., https://edu.catrob.at/postcard

Kind Regards,

Wolfgang

Carlos Miranda Levy

Aug 21, 2017, 6:44:46 AM8/21/17
to Pocket Code Forum
Hi Wolgang.

We are in Paris using Pocket Code to teach homeless kids (7-16) to create videogames and adult immigrants displaced by conflict to create interactive apps.

We are using 12 tablets and meet with the kids and adults 3 times a week.

We would like to get in touch and explore collaboration opportunities (sharing our experience, learning from the experiences of others, developing content and curriculum for these 2 particular target groups -- adult immigrants displaced by conflict and children from homeless families, both with local language and diverse existing kills challenges--, etc.)

You can find more about both projects and pictures and soon some samples of their work at http://www.civ.do (the children group) and http://www.relief20.com (the immigrants displaced by conflict group)

Thanks.

On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 10:50:14 AM UTC+2, Wolfgang Slany wrote:
Hi,

Catrobat is a free open source software (FOSS) non-profit project driven by volunteers from more than 25 countries. We are slower than a commercial project but on the other hand are independent of any financing and have a very long term perspective, the first (being slow) and the latter (long term) also since we produce high quality maintenance documentation so that our software can be easily extended. Details about our FOSS licenses are available at http://developer.catrobat.org/licenses and the list of contributors is available at http://developer.catrobat.org/credits

We welcome new supporters and contributors, not only as a developer but, e.g., in any kind of role as found in other FOSS projects, and we are grateful for all help and support. Some of it could include (in random order, some overlapping, all of them being important, and not limited to):
  • creating nice programs with Pocket Code ;-)
  • promoting Pocket Code in afternoon clubs or in schools
  • applying for research grants about Pocket Code and then conducting the research and publishing about it (contact me if you want us to cooperate)
  • creating tutorials
  • translations to new languages, fixing incorrect translations, adding missing translations. Please see http://translate.catrobat.org/ on how to contribute, or contact us via tran...@catrobat.org telling us for which language you would be able to help. Even languages already partly translated and non-system languages not directly supported are welcome, first because additional phrases and words need to be translated as we are continuing to develop our apps and because this also allows to share the work among several volunteer translators, and second because we are working on a way to switch manually to languages not yet supported by the operating systems.
  • helping new users in the forum
  • adding articles to wikis
  • recommending the project to others
  • evangelizing
  • writing reviews and giving stars on Google Play and other markets or webpages
  • writing blog entries, Google+ or facebook reviews etc
  • marketing in any kind and form, e.g., organizing Game Jams with Pocket Code
  • testing and reporting bugs, e.g., testing on devices we do not have
  • fixing bugs
  • supporting the infrastructure of the project, e.g., maintaining the continuous integration server
  • checking and improving security and privacy issues
  • improving project automation, e.g., automatic population of Google Play etc with updated translations, monitoring servers, secure and effective backup of all data, and similar things
  • requesting new features
  • writing and updating software
  • refactoring (small to large scale), improving the internal design and structure of the software
  • improving tests and test coverage
  • creating artwork (graphics, sounds) for the media packages included with Pocket Code (forthcoming)
  • creating artwork for our software
  • creating artwork for our web presences
  • usability and user experience testing, feedback, and improvements
  • donating hardware (online or physical, servers or devices, robots or phones)
  • donating money we can invest on all aspects described above
  • donating ad space
  • donating your creativity in any form not mentioned above
  • organizing and managing the project, the subteams
  • I'm sure I forgot many things, so please suggest it in replies to this posting
Please contact me at con...@catrobat.org if you want to help.

One final request: It would help us a lot when you rate and review us favorably on Google Play, as these ratings and reviews motivate new users to install our apps. Unfortunately, old less favorable ratings due to already solved bugs or previously missing features almost never go away, so it is really difficult to overcome older bad ratings even though these bugs may have long been corrected. So please, help us with good rating and reviews :-)

Kind Regards,

Wolfgang Slany

Aug 21, 2017, 6:54:59 AM8/21/17
to Pocket Code Forum
Hi Carlos,

Thank you for reaching out! I'll follow up via email.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang