My next project

Tokyo Pav

Sep 27, 2017, 2:40:05 AM9/27/17
to Pocket NC
As an amateur astronomer and astro-photographer in my very short spare time I decided to make a model of one of my favorite things to look at.
I'll make a hardwood version first then an aluminium version.
Should also be a good test of repeatability.

I used 3+2 as NXCAM won't do 5 axis against extremely complex models yet, we are building support for it in the new convergent modeling technology but not available for production just yet so I can show you (;_;)

Hope you like it, I'll be sure to post pics/video of the finished result and my clamping technique.
cheers
TP

Jonathan Dupea

Sep 29, 2017, 4:27:34 PM9/29/17
to Pocket NC
Wow, that looks like a really cool part. Looking forward to seeing pictures or video of the finished product.

Best of luck with it.
Jonathan

Gary Swank

Oct 3, 2017, 1:45:20 PM10/3/17
to Pocket NC
Hi Tokyo
Very cool project! Excited to see how that comes out.
We are wanting to us the Pocket NC in this same type of configuration (Block of material attached to base) to mill jewelry items from all sides in wax.
Randy Kopf was kind enough to do a rotary ring for us earlier that came out well. What we really would like is to have the Pocket NC mill to be able to do this kind of milling.
Thanks!
All the best
 Gary

Tokyo Pav

Oct 5, 2017, 12:20:30 AM10/5/17
to Pocket NC
Hi Gary,
Definitely. I have made a 5mm thick base plate with countersunk holes so I can screw from the bottom into the workpiece. I don't lose any height and its very stable. Easy to align in the center of rotation also. As always the clamping is one of the challenges with machining and even more so in 5 axis for clearance reasons. I always model my clamping setup to ensure trouble free machining. Once you put the effort into a couple of good fixtures you can do so many cool things on the pocketnc.
Cheers
Paul

Gary Swank

Dec 9, 2017, 8:14:38 PM12/9/17
to Pocket NC
Hi Paul
How is your project to mill the moon going?
All the best
 Gary