Pocket NC V2-50 for sale (UK)

Alex Yates

Feb 12, 2021, 9:56:56 AM2/12/21
to Pocket NC

Hi everyone,

My Pocket NC V2-50 (purchased February 2020) is now for sale. I’m located in the UK. The price is £6,500 + Shipping + VAT (a VAT invoice will be provided).

2021-02-10 15.53.39.jpg

I’m getting a bigger Haas machine in a couple of months, so I need to free up some funds!

The machine has actually been fairly lightly used. My CAD business took off over the last 6 months or so, so I've not really had time to use it. A lot of the parts that I design/make can’t be made on the Pocket NC machine, so I’ve really just used it as a means to learn CAM (I’m a learn-by-doing type of person) and to make a few prototype parts, for which it has been excellent.

I’ve put some photos in a Dropbox folder. You can view them by following this link:

Dropbox V2-50 pictures

Details

Machine

Pocket NC V2-50. Serial Number: 1958. Purchased February 2020 (delivered 14th Feb).

It’s pretty lightly used. No crashes on the spindle. I did stall the spindle 3 or 4 times when I first got it by taking too heavy-a-cut, meaning that the spindle gradually bogged down until it stopped. I hit the red stop button immediately though, and it doesn’t seem to have had any effect on the machine, as it has worked happily for me since then (I’m not sure if Pocket NC have a test that I can perform to verify accuracy etc?).

Enclosure

As you can see from the photos, I made my own enclosure for the machine. It’s made from extruded aluminium, 3d printed PLA plastic, and Plexiglass.

The Pocket NC can be lifted in and out of the enclosure very easily, which is handy if you want to clean in the corners from time to time. The 5 rubber feet of the Pocket NC sit on 5 prongs (see pics), which go inside the holes of the rubber feet. The machine can be moved around a little bit, which allows you to line it up with the front of the enclosure nicely.

The Plexiglass gives great visibility and light. The enclosure is also very rigid, so gives the machine a good strong base.

A few chips can escape in some places from time to time, so it’s probably not as good in that regard as the Pocket NC enclosure, which has a tight seal it seems all around the edge of the lip (although I’ve never actually used their enclosure).

There are two bulkhead connectors in the back right corner. One is for the compressed air pipe that comes with the machine (see photos). The other is spare, so should you ever want to add an extra air hose (to blow chips away) you can. With the through spindle air blast on the V2-50, I didn’t bother doing this though, as the chips are blown away pretty effectively anyway.

There are two gas struts on the side of the enclosure. I released a little too much air from them though, so they’re largely useless…. Although they do help a little bit when it comes to preventing the lid from slamming down, should you for some reason knock it. Still, I’m mainly left them on because they look cool.

The chips are caught in two trays that can easily be slid out from underneath the enclosure and emptied, which works pretty well.

3 things to note on the enclosure:

  1. The PLA filament that I used to print the parts for the enclosure is 1.75mm Purple eSun PLA+. I don’t have any left. The only place I can see that sells it in Europe is RepRapWorld, where it seems reasonably priced, and they deliver throughout Europe:

    https://reprapworld.co.uk/products/filament/brands/esun/plaplus/plaplus_filament_purple_1_75_mm_1_kg_esun/

    I can make the CAD part files available should you need to print spare parts for some reason.

  2. The enclosure does NOT have a safety switch like the one sold by Pocket NC themselves. Which is both a good and a bad thing I suppose…

  3. There is a scratch on the front right of the Plexiglass. I don’t notice it, as it’s not on the side that you’re looking at when using the machine, but obviously I need to mention it.

Accessories

You can see these laid out in the photos:

  • Pocket NC Vise + Adaptor
  • ER 40 Fixture. This has never been used. I don’t have an ER collet for this.
  • CHB Collets: 3mm & 4mm. I don’t have the 1/8th inch collet, as I’m very much a man of the metric system : ) .
  • The USB cable + Power cord (with UK plug) + Regulator that came with the machine are of course included.  Note: You will see in the photos that the regulator currently has a Euro  Quick connector screwed into it, so that you can attach a quick connect air hose to it from your compressor (If you want low noise levels, I recommend giving a Bambi distributor a phone). I will leave the quick connector attached if you want it.
  • I cut the thin black air hose that comes with the machine in half. I did this so that the pipe can go through the bulkhead connector that is built into the back of the enclosure (see photos), and prevent any chips from escaping the enclosure.

Cutting tools

These are NOT included in the £6,500 + VAT price.

I do also have quite a few Datron cutting tools, which I can throw in at a reduced price. Datron tools are great for the Pocket NC, but won’t really be appropriate for my new Haas machine.

If I’m selling these though, I want to sell them as one lot, rather than individually. If you don’t want to buy these with the machine, I will Ebay them as a job lot. They are all unused obviously.

The list is of cutters that I have (List Price ex. VAT in brackets):

0068010E *5.     1mm, 3mm shank, 10mm flute length, Single Flute Endmill (£13.07 each)

0068020E * 3.    2mm, 3mm shank, 8mm flute length, Single Flute Endmill (£13.07 each)

0068030E * 4.    3mm, 3mm shank, Single Flute Endmill (£13.07 each)

0068020G * 3.   2mm, 3mm shank, 6mm flute length, 2 Flute Endmill (£12.79 each)

0068008 * 2.      0.8mm, 3mm shank, 4mm flute length, 2 Flute Endmill (£13.94 each)

0068012K * 2.   1.2mm, 3mm shank, 3mm flute length, 2 Flute Endmill (£13.94 each)

0068400 * 1.      1mm, 3mm shank, 3mm flute length, 2 Flute Ball Nose Endmill (£24.66)

0068420 * 1.      M2.5 - M4 thread mill, 3mm shank, 8mm shoulder length (£55.65)

0068171E * 1.    1mm, 3mm shank, 4mm flute length, Single Flute Ball Nose Endmill (£34.37)

00781010 *1.     1mm, 3mm shank, 1.5mm flute length, Long reach (4.5mm shaft, 0.95mm shank) 2 Flute Endmill (£42.45)

0068030Y * 1.    3mm, 3mm shank, 10mm flute length, Single Flute Endmill (£25.78)

List price total: £433.79  (ex. VAT)  £520.55 (inc. VAT)

My price total: £375 (exVAT) £450 (inc. VAT)

Datron do keep up-to-date CAD files of their cutting tools for Autodesk Fusion 360. Datron don’t have these files on their website for some reason, but you can just email them and ask for the latest version, and they’ll send it to you.

Shipping + Delivery:

The machine will come in its original box + foam protective packaging. The other accessories will also come in their original boxes.

I will get a UK shipping price, and put that up once I’ve packed it and weighed it.

If you are outside the UK, let me know where exactly you are, and I’ll see if I can get an accurate shipping price. Shipping is slightly disrupted in the wake of the UK’s exit from the EU, so I will need to research tariffs etc. a bit more….

If you are interested and have any questions, please contact me either on here, or by emailing me directly at alex....@aye.company

Kind regards,

Alex