Use PNC mill as a lathe

mic...@cyto365.com

Jul 26, 2018, 5:50:46 PM7/26/18
to Pocket NC
Hi,

I want to have my stock in the er11 collet on the spindle and then my cutting tool on the table and use it as a lathe.

Others have tried and succeeded with other machines. Anyone interested in give it a try? Let me know how it went... I want to but have no idea how to..

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-computer-aided/using-a-mill-as-a-lathe/m-p/6450214/highlight/true#M14561

Tokyo Pav

Jul 26, 2018, 6:08:52 PM7/26/18
to Pocket NC
Hi Micael
Yes easily possible. Not sure how to in Fusion 360 but I will make a sample and show simulation in NX.
The only thing I would be careful for is to make sure the cutting tool center is as close to the b axis center of rotation as possible to help stop the tool pressure from wanting to rotate the b axis.
This would be similar to Swiss style machines.
Regards
Paul

Logan Rose

Jul 27, 2018, 9:21:12 AM7/27/18
to Pocket NC
Easy possible in Fusion 360 as well. Just set tool to follow a sketch path. That path can be circular or even a spiral. See videos on "wrapping" tool path.

mic...@cyto365.com

Jul 27, 2018, 10:41:05 AM7/27/18
to Pocket NC
Wow nice! I am looking forward to see the simulation. I believe many are interested to see this, especially for the PNC and hopefully also with Fusion360. Thanks!

mic...@cyto365.com

Jul 27, 2018, 10:44:41 AM7/27/18
to Pocket NC
Logan; do you mean wrapping toolpath as if the stock is still in the B-table? The b-table can’t spin very fast compared to the mill. But perhaps you can choose wrap toolpath other than I am used to. I have tried wrapping toolpath but mostly to do circular one revolution. The sketch needs to be same length as the circumferential length of what you want to mill, meaning that is not really applicable for large lathe operations, or am I wrong?

Logan Rose

Jul 27, 2018, 10:51:47 AM7/27/18
to Pocket NC
If you are referring to using it like a cuttoff tool, then Pocket NC has some G code posted in there tutorials of how to do that without using any CAM software at all.   If you are wanting more of a full 4 axis effect with constant rotation, I have only been able to do this by "hacking" some of Fusion 360's lathe toolpath options and using them.  I haven't posted how to do that because it is still unstable at times and I don't want anyone breaking tooling or worse.   I will dig a little more into it and see what I can do.   If you are wanting it for cutt-off purposes, I suppose we can do some how to videos on it.

James Martin

Jul 27, 2018, 10:55:27 AM7/27/18
to Pocket NC
One issue you may run into is stalling the A/B axes.  I've run into this a couple of time when trying to apply 5 axis toolpaths.  it seems the cuts have to be extremely light, or you risk stalling or skipping steps on the rotary axes.  still works, just very slowly :/.

Logan Rose

Jul 27, 2018, 10:58:27 AM7/27/18
to Pocket NC
True, it is a very small machine and you can only get so much power from a wall plug.   I have yet to stall or skip steps on my machine, but I take very light cuts.

Logan Rose

Jul 27, 2018, 11:01:44 AM7/27/18
to Pocket NC
Take a look at this video at about the 4 min mark...

mic...@cyto365.com

Jul 27, 2018, 2:24:19 PM7/27/18
to Pocket NC
Logan; I believe as a Swiss style is more what I was looking for where the stock is placed on the spindle. I know that er11 only allows 7mm diam. But it is a lot you can do still. And you can make a holder for 7mm and then mill something larger still. Spindle turns at 10 000 rpm and then the b-table is used to hold the tool. Also possibility to make a tool turning table on the b-table. I wonder if you can use the turning function of the fusion 360 and define the b-table as the tool Plattform and Spindle as stock holder. Any ideas?

mic...@cyto365.com

Jul 28, 2018, 1:31:03 AM7/28/18
to Pocket NC

mic...@cyto365.com