GAST 1/3 hp air compressor getting really hot?

Brandon Lima

Feb 6, 2021, 8:19:05 PM2/6/21
to Pocket NC
I just received my Pocket NC and am working on putting everything together. I was running the spindle warm up over the course of the 50 minutes the top portion of air compressor (where the input and output are) got too hot to touch and the body was nearly too hot the touch. Is this normal, I was planning on putting it in something to reduce the noise but am worried about a fire hazard.

Brandon Lima

Feb 6, 2021, 11:50:51 PM2/6/21
to Pocket NC
So I have tried a few things and can't seem to get it right, I thought I had things backwards, but then there isn't enough pressure for the NC to work. I am hoping someone has an example of their air setup to see if I am missing something?

j...@pobox.com

Feb 7, 2021, 7:23:41 AM2/7/21
to Pocket NC
I found the GAST was not suitable for indoor use due to noise, temperature and vibration.  I replaced it with an "indoor" marketed compressor and haven't looked back.

-Josh

Brandon Lima

Feb 7, 2021, 12:20:26 PM2/7/21
to Pocket NC
Great thank you! I thought I had seen everything you had done about the Pocket NC but I guess I missed a few things.  I ordered two of these to see if they help at all https://www.grainger.com/product/5Z766?RIID=58212602075&GID=&mid=OrderConfirmation&rfe=3c88580523b2ad4651bb9bd5b7884f7469cf7e571ef82abd89a29c35e3e335da&gucid=EMT:10339122:Item:CSM-323&emcid=NA:Item

But I am guessing I'll end up with the same compressor you have...

Thanks!