V1 X-axis backlash issue: resolved!

Danny Blanchard

Jun 8, 2019, 3:21:40 PM6/8/19
to Pocket NC
Howdy!

I just purchased a V1 that was described as being lightly/not used, and from the appearance of the machine cosmetically that condition statement appears to be true.

However....I discovered that the X-axis lead screw anti-backlash nut mounting block (secured in place to the x-carriage by two bolts only accessible by removing the lower electronics assembly) had come loose, inducing a 0.031" backlash.

After removing said lower electronics assembly with the utmost of care, positioning the X-carriage such that the two screws could be tightened from below, and snaking a hex wrench around the torsion spring.... the block was re-secured.  Yay!

But I still have some backlash that can be seen and felt.  I measured it at 0.005".  Upon further inspection I found that the three screws fastening the lead screw nut to the previously-loose block were also loose.  After snugging them down the backlash is gone.

Anywho, I hope this helps if anybody is chasing down slop!

Cheers,

Danny

Note: the picture below has the top of the leadscrew block circled, with an arrow pointing to the general position under the x-carriage where those screws are screwed into (from the underside).  Ideally those screws would have been installed with some medium strength threadlocker, but hey, this was something like machine #15....so no biggie.

Leadscrew Nut Mounting Block - Pocket NC V1.JPG

Q Rothing

Jun 10, 2019, 11:19:48 AM6/10/19
to Pocket NC
Thanks Danny!