Jewelry Cleaning a rough cast

andrew.s...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2016, 4:23:54 AM10/24/16
to Pocket NC
Hello there,

I am using a 3D printer to print my models and I am just thinking out loud here.

After printing and casting we clean and finish the pieces. To give you an idea this is the usual method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV6-hkoQB-0

Would it be possible to clean a rough gold cast with the Pocket NC? Using something like one of these as the toolhead:
https://www.borideabrasives.com/PublicStore/product/Standard-Mounted-Point-Kits,126,406.aspx

Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard that big watch companies such as Cartier, Rolex would CNC the watch face and use a CNC to also polish/finish the watch face

Thank you,
Andrew

Randy Kopf

Oct 25, 2016, 1:18:49 AM10/25/16
to Pocket NC
Andrew:
It's an interesting concept. Theoretically it is possible but there would be a lot of front end work to fine tune it to do exactly what you want.
Additional you would need to cover the part and machine with plastic to keep the abrasive off the machine.
Randy Kopf

andrew.s...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2016, 4:04:43 AM10/25/16
to Pocket NC
Hello there Randy,

What comes to your mind when you say front end work? Like the toolbit sizes maybe? Altering g-code? Toolpaths? Getting an enclosure shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Thank you for taking the time to respond,
Andrew

Randy Kopf

Oct 25, 2016, 11:18:14 AM10/25/16
to Pocket NC
Andrew
I'm thinking it's an interesting idea but not confident you can pull this off
1) your Work holding must be relatively accurate to get the precise control you expect.
2) Based on variable loads you likely would find you still need to finish a parts by hand.
3) The pocket NC is light duty machine so you'll struggle to get the exact pressures where you need them.
4) Abrasives on traditional CNC's is not a good idea. They are made to cut material not grind it.
5) The Pocket NC has open ways and they would be destroyed if they got abrasive dust in them. An enclosure does nothing for that problem.
Randy

andrew.s...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2016, 8:10:56 AM10/29/16
to Pocket NC
I appreciate your insight. So what would the big companies use then as I doubt they finish a piece by hand nowadays, right?

Randy Kopf

Oct 29, 2016, 8:32:03 AM10/29/16
to Pocket NC
Andrew:
I believe it is relative to the quality of your vestment process. I was fortunate to visit www.RioGrande.com and tour the factory. They make a production class casting machine they sell as http://www.neutec.com/ But they also use them to make many of their own products.
And most of the POLISHING work was done through this media room. That is a progression of vibration polishers that have various media, stones, beads etc. Then they do minimal hand finish only when needed.
Randy Kopf

RioGrande Media.jpg