Basic video showing MSTK and operation setup in Siemens NX CAM.

Tokyo Pav

Feb 19, 2018, 2:35:41 AM2/19/18
to Pocket NC
All
I have been asked a couple of times for a video on how to setup and get the material moving in the machine simulation inside NX CAM. I made a basic video here. https://youtu.be/SMuXnfZ57us

I make a simple tool with shank but I already had basic tool holders setup in my tool library so I show how to retrieve them from the tool library. It just as easy to add new ones, also the tool assembly could be saved.
I also show how to add the part and stock to the machine kinematic setup. Very simple. The fixture (vise) is already added as part of the the Machine Simulation Tool Kit (MSTK)
If you have any questions please ask here, on the YouTube video or the new facebook group that has been started by Augusto Pedroza

Daniel R

Mar 1, 2018, 5:07:16 PM3/1/18
to Pocket NC
Hi,

I just recently bought a Pocket NC V2 for our business to make some prototypes, I tried Fusion 360 but want to get into NX CAM as use NX daily in my work but have never had the chance to use the CAM module. Hopefully it can´t be too hard to master ;)

I have seen that you are using the old V1 for you models representing the machine, does this affect the post processor? (do you need a new post processor for the V2 machine in NX)

When setting the machine origin (with the machine specific offset) do you just create a point in the 3D space or do you need a coordinate system?

Too a trickier question, I want to machine a worm gear which is small (cant find one to buy that fits to my design). Do you think it will be hard to generate a tool path for that, ill guess that you will need all five axis to make the "thread grooves"?

Hope that's not too many questions!

Best regards
Daniel R

Tokyo Pav

Mar 3, 2018, 1:41:12 AM3/3/18
to Pocket NC
Hi Daniel. The post will be the same. Maybe a special tool change to probe the length of the tool if you like but the current post will work fine.

You need a machine coordinate system at the G53 position of the machine or if you set a new work offset like G54 then you need a MCS at that point in NXCam.
The Machine kit I uploaded has the zero at the machines G53 point. My a to b axis offset is 0.841” I can make a kit for your machine if your axis offset is different.

Worm gear will be easy. I can put the operations on your model for reference if you want.
Regards
TP

nils.dan...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2018, 4:01:22 PM3/7/18
to Pocket NC
Hi,

Thanks for the info regarding the post. But regarding the tool change, if I guess correctly you mean that if I have a tool change in my program the post can then do an automatic tool length check after i changed the tool and then resume milling? If you could fix that, it would be awesome!!

I have tired to launch NX-CAM, and the manufacturing module seems to work fine, but the Machine builder module behave strange, I don't have a Home tab. If I search for the Import machine kit it tells me that the function isn't available. I search around a bit and found that maybe my NX couldn't access/write/modify the MACH folder correctly, but I checked the security options for the whole folder and it seems fine, any idea (maybe my business IT setup interferes somehow)?

Regarding the the worm gear, I have step file but don't know how to send it to you! My plan was to mill the worm gear using the smallest tool the was shipped with the pocket NC but maybe this is an bad approach regarding the gear teeth?

And lastly if you lasted this long to my big post, I work for Siemens, I read some of you post and it seem that maybe you are working with the development of NXCAM for Siemens? If so maybe we can get in contact trough SSN or mail, because it would be easier to exchange some files.

Of course maybe it´s better to be on this forum so other people get tips and help ;)

Thank you for your time!!
Best regards Daniel R

Tokyo Pav

Mar 7, 2018, 7:12:24 PM3/7/18
to Pocket NC
Hi Daniel
I can make the auto tool length changes for you ok. Also let me know the A to B axis offset so I can make the post and machine simulation perfect for your machine.
I don't have a V2 machine so can you send me the auto tool length compensation code that the V2 uses.

To import the mstk you change application to Machine builder and select the import. You definitely need write access to the folders but if you installed NX under your account that should work ok.

Yes I'm working for Siemens as you guessed :-)
I think on this forum is ok if the data isn't sensitive and yes it's good to share the tips we all find. Also contact through the Siemens systems works ok but we are on different networks so it makes it tough initially. If you join the https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/ site you can find me in the CAM and Design forums there also.
email me at paul.hartrick@ our company name is how we can connect with our internal systems.
cheers
TP

Tokyo Pav

Mar 9, 2018, 2:19:49 AM3/9/18
to Pocket NC
Hi Daniel
I sent the part file to your work email.
Here is a machine simulation video so others can see the process on the PocketNC.
I assumed you would have the center machined first so I made a basic fixture to hold the gear for outside machining.
Very tiny and cool worm gear. The 1 mm ball didn't completely mill the bottom radius as the radius is 0.3932 mm and I'm sure you won't make a special cutter or use a 0.5 mm ball cutter on basically a clearance area of the gear.
Not sure what it's made of so i ignored speeds and feeds mostly.
I machined 1 set of gear faces, colored blue, then associative instanced 39 times to get the rest. So edit the original operations and the others update instantly. All in about 30 minutes work as its all just 3 axis milling.
regards
TP

Logan Rose

May 1, 2018, 12:15:50 PM5/1/18
to Pocket NC
Hello again, Tokyo.   Can you send me updated machine file for NX11.   My B-table offset is 0.8355.

Tokyo Pav

May 4, 2018, 1:09:52 AM5/4/18
to Pocket NC
Hi
Sorry for slow reply I’ve been super busy at work. I’m on a business trip next week but can build after next week. I’ll makw NX11 machine simulation and post with your offsets and it will also work fine when you upgrade to NX12.
Cheers
TP

Daniel

May 21, 2018, 7:56:13 AM5/21/18
to Pocket NC
Hi,

I finally got sometime to get it to work, thanks to Tokyo Pav! I haven't had any experience before with machining or operating a CNC machine so this was a bit of a hurdle, but finally i a good grasp on cut depth, feed rates and tool deflection with help for some people working in a workshop. Also it took sometime to get used to the whole CAM module in NX, its a powerful tool which make it a bit tricky to learn, but thanks to Tokyo´s pre tooling paths i could try to recreate and modify them making it much easier to learn!
So without further ado here are some pictures of the machining and finish product.

It fit perfectly, which is especially nice as it was my very first machining piece but it seems that i had some chatter due to bad machining data and tool stick-out (before i asked the workshop guys!).

Also started on the teeth ;) (machined a stainless steel holder first, broke the first tool with a bit aggressive rpm (10000 rpm!), feed and to small tool, changed all of that to depth of cut of 0,3175mm, Radial depth of cut 5% of tool diameter (0,02mm), a feed rate of 110 mm/m and a rpm of 2000)

Best regards Daniel R

Tokyo Pav

May 21, 2018, 8:00:15 AM5/21/18
to Pocket NC
Very nice 👍
Just keep running the machine simulation in g-code mode and you’ll be fine. Seems you have the hang of it already.
Cheers
TP

Tokyo Pav

May 22, 2018, 10:27:18 PM5/22/18
to Pocket NC
Hi Logan,
I finally got some time to make your machine simulation kit and revised postprocessor.
The files are here:

The PocketNC_8355.mtk is the single archive that you can import through the MAchine Tool Builder function.
The pocketnc_8355.7z is a compressed file of the entire machine library for you machine that you can install manually if you like. If you install manually please copy the contents from the machine_database.dat file into your machine_database.dat file found in the ~MACH\resource\library\machine\ascii directory. You can modify the descriptions etc.

I have also included a sample model that shows the model, stock, fixture and machine co-ordinate setup.

Enjoy
Regards
TP

Logan Rose

May 23, 2018, 9:19:28 AM5/23/18
to Pocket NC
Special thanks again, Tokyo!     I am pretty skilled with NX, but I am really trying with 360 as well.   Only a very few of us have access to NX.   I really feel that 360 is much easier to use.   I am trying to do some setups now that use both NX and 360 for comparison.   I hope to finish but its hard with 2 kids. LOL

Logan Rose

Jun 2, 2018, 8:00:31 AM6/2/18
to Pocket NC
I finally got around to trying this Toyko, and it didn't work.  I feel you are missing one step in your video.   If I remember correctly, there should be a place that I should add the machine parts to a folder in NX before doing this.   When I go through your steps, the part that shows the machine before you import it, it shows nothing.

Logan Rose

Jun 2, 2018, 8:12:07 AM6/2/18
to Pocket NC
Nevermind, Toyko.... I just need to read your comments better and with less excitement.  I missed a step. LOL

Tokyo Pav

Jun 3, 2018, 9:09:06 PM6/3/18
to Pocket NC
Cool