Need help: V2-50 air pressure readings

cedric....@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2020, 7:31:13 AM2/24/20
to Pocket NC
I just ran a spindle warm up routine for the first time yesterday and I'm getting ready to start making chips. However, I encountered an issue. When the pump runs, the pressure gauge on the air filter reads about 0.15 MPa and the Pocket NC's pressure sensor, whose readout is on the Pocket NC user interface, reads about 0.18 MPa. Instructions say "the recommended air pressure for the V2-50 is .17 MPa", and I don't know how close to this value the pressure has to be. Should I trust the pressure gauge of the filter or the pressure sensor in the V2-50? Which one is more accurate?

Q Rothing

Feb 24, 2020, 10:59:16 AM2/24/20
to Pocket NC
Hi Cedric,

Please go by the pressure gauge in the Pocket NC user interface, that is the one that matters.

Thank you,

Q Rothing
Applications Engineer, Pocket NC

cedric....@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2020, 11:04:19 AM2/24/20
to Pocket NC
Noted, thanks.

cedric....@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2020, 11:22:44 AM2/24/20
to Pocket NC
I suppose that the Pocket NC's pressure sensor measures absolute pressure because it gives the correct pressure for my elevation when the pump is off (0.099MPa at ~136m above sea level). My filter measures gauge pressure because it reads 0 MPa when the pump is off. Perhaps the V2-50 Spindle Information doc could be updated to state "The recommended absolute air pressure for the V2-50 spindle is 25 psi or 0.17 MPa (as measured by the pressure sensor whose readout is shown in the user interface)".

Graham Stabler

Feb 24, 2020, 12:47:03 PM2/24/20
to Pocket NC
I don't think it is actually very critical, it is just cooling.

Graham

Graham Stabler

Feb 24, 2020, 12:47:20 PM2/24/20
to Pocket NC
And keeping dust out.

cedric....@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2020, 12:57:44 PM2/24/20
to Pocket NC
What kind of bearings does the spindle run on?

Graham Stabler

Feb 24, 2020, 3:07:00 PM2/24/20
to Pocket NC
Ball bearings, probably ceramic ones.

Q Rothing

Feb 24, 2020, 6:16:44 PM2/24/20
to Pocket NC
Graham is correct, the air is mostly for cooling and keeping debris out of the bearings. And the bearings are ceramic. I will take a look at that document, thank you for the feedback on that.

Thanks,