HDMI port for laptop connectivity?

scottsc...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2017, 1:54:46 PM11/13/17
to Pocket NC
Hi all,

When we received our Pocket NC a few weeks ago I noticed the connection ports seemed to be bent and out of alignment (USB and Micro USB in particular) like they had been jammed into the cutouts in the machine housing. I have never been able to use the USB (it's too bent to connect the plug) and have had limited success using the micro USB port (just barely enough connection to function). Finally today when I went to plug into the micro USB port it popped off the board. I took the back panel off and there's no way I'm a good enough solderer to put it back on. I assume the fix is to send the machine back and get it repaired, but I was just curious, is the HDMI port only for the stand alone system? or can I hook up my laptop through that port and save my machine a trip back to the factory? If so how would I do that? A USB/HDMI converter? Or mini display to HDMI? Thanks!

-Scott

Tokyo Pav

Nov 14, 2017, 2:53:09 AM11/14/17
to Pocket NC
Hi Scott
My understanding is the HDMI port is only for external monitor. I don't think there is a way to get the display onto your laptop over the HDMI connector. Maybe you can just unplug everything and only send the board in? I don't know how hard that would be as I've never opened my machine.
Paul

Michael

Nov 14, 2017, 11:21:09 AM11/14/17
to Pocket NC
Scott,

Sorry to hear the USB connector is bent on your machine and the mini usb connector broke. I will make sure the assembly team knows to watch closer for proper alignment of the USB connector.

We can pretty easily setup another BeagleBone for you and ship it directly to you. The process of installing a new BeagleBone is pretty simple. This would also allow us to ship you another USB extender at the same time.

Would it work to send you these parts? This would speed up the process of getting your machine back up and running. If this works would you send me a personal message with the machine serial number (see attached picture of machine 0314) and your shipping address.

I will do my best to get this headed your direction here shortly.

I look forward to your reply,
Michael

serial number location.jpg

scottsc...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2017, 2:28:38 PM11/17/17
to Pocket NC
Michael,

That would be great and sounds like the fastest way to get things resolved. I don't use Google Groups a lot and have no idea how to send you a private message haha. Can you send me one and I'll reply with our serial number and mailing address? Thanks!

-Scott

ericd...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2018, 3:32:08 PM2/9/18
to Pocket NC
Just received my unit the other day, plugged it in and turned it on and it was dead. Upon further inspection I noticed that the tab inside the Type A USB port was missing and the other ports were also not lined up properly with the cutouts. It would appear that this company has a quality control issue.

Pocket NC

Feb 9, 2018, 4:17:54 PM2/9/18
to Pocket NC
Eric,

Have you contacted us about this issue?  We would be happy to get it resolved for you, it is probably as simple as sending you over a new BeagleBone.  This likely happened somehow during shipping.  We test cut a sample part on each machine so it was functional when it left our shop but every now and then things do happen during shipping.  Looks like we should consider an alteration to our design for this but sometimes it takes a while to implement a change. Feel free to send us your issue along with a serial number and shipping address to in...@pocketnc.com and we should be able to get one out to you asap.

Best,
Michelle Hertel

ericd...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2018, 11:56:34 AM2/12/18
to Pocket NC
Yes I contacted you and I also sent pictures of the damaged Beagleboard. I do not believe the damage occurred during shipping as the unit was very well packaged and the shipping box had no damage. In addition, despite the damage to the Beagleboard, it is still functional as I attached it to my computer and I am able to access the files.