Feed and Speed for Aluminium

Manohj Kumaar

Sep 4, 2018, 7:16:18 AM9/4/18
to Pocket NC
Hello,

I started to cut aluminium, please share some inputs for feed and speed rates.
I am using the values, Depth of cut = 0.3 mm and Side load = 1 mm. Are these values correct? Any suggestions?

I used 8500 rpm for a dry run, the spindle started heating. Is this an issue or I can ignore it?

Please help me on the above

Thanks,
Manoj

mic...@cyto365.com

Sep 4, 2018, 7:33:47 AM9/4/18
to Pocket NC
This is my settings for aluminum, For Face operation with 6mm 4 Flute Flat endmill, 10 000rpm,  stepdown 0.25mm, stepover 5.7mm, feed 400mm/min, for the finishing pass 0,025 stepdown 75 mm/min, this gives very nice finish.

Best regards

Micael

mic...@cyto365.com

Sep 4, 2018, 7:36:50 AM9/4/18
to Pocket NC
Manoj, 0,3 mm step down is a bit too much I believe. Better do smaller stepdowns and faster. 0,25 mm and 400 mm/min. But it all depend on the endmill diameter and flutes. If the diameter is smaller then you must slow down your feeding speed and stepdown. We are limited to 10 000 rpm so I suggest you go with 10 000 rpm.

Manohj Kumaar

Sep 4, 2018, 8:08:17 AM9/4/18
to Pocket NC
Thanks for your suggestions Mic!
I need to clear 5 mm depth of 40 x 60 rectangular work piece. Will you suggest to cut fast? any other suggestions please?!

Manohj Kumaar

Sep 4, 2018, 8:20:22 AM9/4/18
to Pocket NC
What about the heat generation by spindle for 10,000 RPM? Is it fine to proceed?

I am facing heat problems on spindle for 8000 RPM

Help me out please

mic...@cyto365.com

Sep 4, 2018, 9:08:59 AM9/4/18
to Pocket NC
What do you mean by heat problems? The spindle can handle 10 000 rpm for hours.

As I said before, if you are using a 4 flute 6mm endmill use 10 000 rpm, 0,25 mm stepdown, 0,57 mm stepover, 400 mm/min. If you are using only a 2 flute endmill, you must then increase your rpm to 20 000. But, since we can't do that (we are limited to 10 000rpm) you must then go with perhaps feed of 200 mm/min and perhaps only 0,15 mm stepdown. Start with even less step down if you are unsure, and then listen to the sound. How does it sound? You will hear when it is too much, and you get a feeling for it.

ke...@pocketnc.com

Sep 4, 2018, 1:39:33 PM9/4/18
to Pocket NC
The spindle does heat up quite a bit when running, even at 8000 rpm, but it should stay at that temperature. It's not an issue. The temperature goes up to about 65 C. We do recommend that the machine is turned off when not in use.

James Martin

Sep 6, 2018, 12:56:38 PM9/6/18
to Pocket NC
my go-to settings are 0.1" doc / 0.0125" woc with an 1/8" endmill.  i've ordered some new variable flute endmills that did wonders on my bigger 3 axis machine... hopefully i'll be able to push them much harder on the little one.