Faulty cleaning in the X-axis

Sami

Apr 5, 2021, 8:08:42 AM4/5/21
to Pocket NC
I have G Code, which worked without any problems before. Recently, while the tool is cleaning the part, there is a shift of about 0.1 mm in the + X direction. I subject both sides of the part to exactly the same operations. I even duplicate some operations on the other side and only change the tool orientation. While the model was created without any problems before, now I get the failed products in the same code. If you focus on the middle of the part, you can notice the deviation more clearly. If you want to review, I will share the G-code or fusion 360 file with you. I will be glad if you help me

qrot...@pocketnc.com

Apr 5, 2021, 3:41:05 PM4/5/21
to Pocket NC
Hi Sami,

I am sorry to hear that you are having some trouble with your machine and its X axis!

There are a couple of things that could be causing the behavior you are seeing. The first one to check would be whether there is a work offset applied to your X axis. This can happen on accident and sometimes not show up in the "Work Offsets" section of the user interface. To make ensure that there are no offsets set, click on the "G54" icon in the "Work Offsets" section of the "Tooling" page. Then select "Zero all Offsets".

If the issue is still present after clearing those offsets, please reach out to us directly at ser...@pocketnc.com. The next couple of things to check will require more in-depth troubleshooting that will be easier over email.

Thanks!

Q Rothing
Applications Engineer, Pocket NC

Furkan

Apr 9, 2021, 9:44:31 AM4/9/21
to Pocket NC
Hi Q,

Firstly thanks for your advice and your time

When I checked the offsets they were all zeroes. Still I reset it again to make sure. But my problem was still not resolved. While everything seemed correct in the program, the part was wrong in the x-axis during machining.

We have decided to do a simpler process to test it out. We wanted to drill a hole in the wax stock and see if the problem was with the machine or the part. Thanks to the hole we drilled on the wax, we saw that there is 0.265 mm offset in the x-axis of the machine. We concluded this problem by giving -0.265 mm offset when the machine is in home position.

We solved the problem somehow, but how did this happen, which we did not understand. We have never changed the settings. We disassembled and assembled the machine several times just to remove the chips. Is there any possibility of trouble in this process? And we have to do the solution I just mentioned every time we turn on the machine. Is there a permanent solution?

Thanks
Sami Furkan Okyay
Astronautical Engineer,Göksal Aeronautics

Matt Rounds

Apr 9, 2021, 11:07:52 AM4/9/21
to Pocket NC
Hi Sami,

We're glad you found a solution that worked for you, but we definitely want to determine the root cause of the issue and provide a permanent solution! Could you elaborate on the disassembly/reassembly you performed? (This can be troublesome and potentially un-calibrate the machine. Certain components reference off of other components for homing, so it is possible to unintentionally change the homing references when disassembling and create physical offsets). If you can describe the full process you went through, we can determine if that was the cause or rule it out and diagnose elsewhere.

Thanks!
Matt Rounds
Support Engineer, Pocket NC

Message has been deleted

Furkan

Apr 12, 2021, 10:14:44 AM4/12/21
to Pocket NC
Hi Matt,

Actually, we did not follow a very complicated process. We just dismantled the back and side main covers. Then we removed the axis sockets. In this way, we cleaned the chips inside the sockets and had the chance to spray air.

Other than that, we did not take any action. We put the sockets and put the covers back.

Sometimes we spray air into the rails and lubricate with silicone-based material, but I don't think this will cause such a problem. If there is something that we missed, please let us know.

Thanks
Sami Furkan Okyay
Astronautical Engineer, Göksal Aeronautics

Matt Rounds

Apr 13, 2021, 1:38:46 PM4/13/21
to Pocket NC
Hi Sami,

I assume by the "back cover" you just mean the cover on the PCB up near the spindle? Removing that and the side cover to clean will not affect calibration. (For reference, the PCB on the back of the Y-axis that controls the rotary axes should never be removed as that one does have a position-sensitive component).

I'm going to reach out to you directly via email so we can troubleshoot and share details.

Thanks,
Matt Rounds
Support Engineer, Pocket NC