Lyrids Meteor Scatter?

Ed Cole

Nov 17, 2021, 12:01:25 PM11/17/21
to PNWVHFS
I checked Ping Jockey and see only K5's and K6's working the Lyrids this
morning. Also looked on ON4KST - region2 and nobody there.

I'm looking in the general direction of the PNW (entered VE7DAY's grid)
and wsjt-x/MSK144 shows az=124, so I am pointing that way just watching.

I have two 7-element LFA yagi's and 1000w on 6m (50.260) if anyone wants
to try. Not actively transmitting unless there is interest.

73, Ed - KL7UW, BP40IQ

Ed Cole

Nov 17, 2021, 3:10:10 PM11/17/21
to pnw...@googlegroups.com
John-VE7DAY and I ran for awhile. John is about the only station within
normal ms range of me (2005 km).

I got two pings with his CQ at -07 right away. John saw my report once.
That was all for the nearly 2-hour run. John found me on
ON4KST-region2 so we had some coordination (also some e-mail but that is
not real-time chat).

I've heard ms is best near 6am local time (we got started at 9am AKST),
so night do better earlier. I believe today was the peak for the
Lyrid's shower.

John suggested running Q65A for ionoscatter. I have worked john with
FT8 on Es (August 2020, I believe) and that was running 150w on my
3-element yagi.

I ran 600w on my two 7-element yagis, today. I normally run 1000w on
Q65A but with the same drive I was only seeing about 400w. I bumped the
drive up about double to get 600w (might be difference in Tx audio
levels - have to check this).

73, Ed - KL7UW