Fwd: [WSJTX] Aurora - what is the best mode for 50/70Mhz #Yaesu

Lance Collister, W7GJ

Nov 29, 2022, 10:33:44 AM11/29/22
to PNWVHFS
FYI

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Aurora - what is the best mode for 50/70Mhz #Yaesu
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 10:23:05 +0100
From: Charles Suckling <g3w...@gmail.com>
To: ma...@wsjtx.groups.io

Hi Alan

I've been running a few simulations here this morning of Q65-15A, B and C
with 100Hz spreading, which is probably in the ballpark for 50/70MHz.

All three submodes work well when signals are weak, but there is an
increasing penalty in decoding success as signals get stronger, as is often
the case with Auroral propagation.

For stronger signals (tested up to +20dB/2500Hz) to be reliably decoded
with 100Hz spreading, it seems that Q65-15C is a better choice than
Q65-15B. Q65-15A performs worst with strong signals.

The simulator uses a spreading model more aligned to microwave EME than
Aurora, but probably provides a reasonable indication of what behaviour
might be expected in on-air tests.

If Q65-15C were to be tried, then I would recommend TX/RX freq of 700Hz, to
enable the signals to pass through a typical SSB filter without risk of
attenuating the higher frequency tones.

73

Charlie DL3WDG