RE: [PNW Microwave] Abridged summary of PNW-Microwave@googlegroups.com - 4 updates in 1 topic

hamw...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2022, 1:56:07 PM4/15/22
to PNW-Mi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ray,

There were several different versions of the 1296 board that Jim produced.  I spoke with Jim on my board a while back when I was building mine and revised the later rev boards to have two trimmers on each input vs one fixed value and one trimmer.   Depending on which rev board you may obtain success by replacing the fixed caps with another trimmer of  around same value on the input side of the amp.   I was having the same challenge with my board, not reaching the rated RF output of 160 to 180 Watts with 10W drive .   Mike (K7MDL) and I tried various values on the input with no success.  Based on my ongoing discussion with Jim for my Rev board (Rev 7.3) from 2012,  I incorporated those changes  and after my amplifier was producing and easy 170 to 180 watts with 9 to 11 watts drive.

  1. Remove the two fixed capacitors (believed to be 2.2pf) on the input side of the devices and replace with a 2-6PF trimmers.  So in all… each side ended up with  two 2-6pf caps I ordered from Digi key.
  2. The output side where the output coax is soldered to the board was revised:  a  connection is taken from the middle of the trace…there is a break in this trace at the end which was intended to be shorted across so the output could be end-launched as an option.  If yours is bridged it is essentially adding a small capacitance at the end by including that separated piece of trace. To resolve this, remove the solder bridge and just let that piece ‘float’ by itself.  I believe this made the biggest difference in the output.
  3. I also reflowed the output tabs on the transistors to ensure a good connection and solder flow.  It’s a bit challenging after the fact because they are now connected to the copper heat spreader so Flux and a very high wattage iron will do it.

If  you would like to talk about this off line or I can share anything else of my experience I had with mine getting it finally working, I be happy to share.

73,

Paul

WA9BTV

Apr 15, 2022, 1:58:36 PM4/15/22