432Mhz amplifier project and net updates

Rick Beatty

Aug 10, 2022, 8:40:19 PM8/10/22
to PNWVHFS, PNW Microwave
Hi to the group -- I have spent the last week working on a 4cx250 amplifier that was donated to the cause. Things went well but as it turns out the tube is bad/weak and  does not put out any power. The second time around after adjustments we got up to 20 watts with 4 watts drive. BUT there was an arc and it took out the plate meter. End of project.
    I have upgraded the antenna and added a preamp to help with the weak ones. So, here is what we are going to try, after the 222 net on Tuesday we will try 432 and see if I can hear stations and that they can hear me. A test of sorts. I am running 110 watts + and hopefully that will be enough. Let's give it a try.
    Beyond that I am still looking for a larger amplifier, however tubes are getting pretty expensive. I am going to work on a GS31b amplifier, but to be truthful I probably don't have enough drive to take advantage of its output.
     What I really would like to find is a TE systems 300 watt amplifier or and RF concepts. A russian amp would be good too, but the new cost is prohibitive.

Sok, that is my story -- Thanks --

Rick W7rnb