An invitation and lake update

Usha Rajagopalan

Jul 9, 2021, 8:58:01 AM7/9/21
to pn...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
We are happy to tell you that we have created a project space for Puttenahalli Lake on iNaturalist platform for you to track the flora and fauna found in our lake. Please explore  https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/puttenahalli-lake  and add your observations - from the little spider in a corner of the gazebo at the lake to the statue like heron waiting to snatch a fish from the water. To do this, you need to join the group. Please follow the directions given below:
On Website:
-Go to https://www.inaturalist.org, log in with your Gmail Id/Facebook or sign up with your email id.
-On the top menu, go to Community >Project. In the input box, enter Puttenahalli Lake and click Go.
-You will see Puttenahalli Lake Project, click on it, on the top right side you will see Join this Project. Click and  become a member of Puttenahalli Lake Project.

On Mobile
-Install iNaturalist from Playstore or Appstore.
-Log in as mentioned for Website above.
-Select Projects on the hamburger.
-Search for Puttenahalli Lake project in the search box.
-Puttenahalli Lake project will show up, click on it.
-Click on Join button on top to become a member.

Upload the photographs of birds, trees, plants, insects that you take at our Puttenahalli lake for everyone to see and admire.

- Do not worry if you don't know the name of the bird/tree/insect or plant. This is a global community of naturalists. Someone from somewhere will identify it for you!
- Do not worry if the species is already uploaded. The more the better!
- Please upload good photos. The greater the clarity, the easier to identify the species!
- And please add only photographs taken at our Puttakere to this page!

A quick update on the lake - While the sewage inflow has stopped and the rain is diluting the sediment, it  is  still providing rich nutrition for the weeds to grow and cover the water. BBMP is getting these removed. This time, there are several new ones and we are constantly sending photos to Dr. Subbu to identify! His comment on the two species in the photograph is particularly heartwarming.

"The left one is Chara sp. and the right one is Ottelia alismoides... These two mostly grow in clean waters: like the lakes of Bangalore in the 1980s" .

In spite of the impurities, the exposed water does look delightfully clean. We hope it improves further in the days to come!
Best regards
PNLIT team
--
PNLIT: Breathing Life into a Lake
Puttenahalli Lake from June 2010

Photo credit: Ramu, gardener.
Chara sp, Ottelia alismoides.jpg
Removing weeds 2021-07-09.jpeg

Kaustubh Rau

Jul 10, 2021, 11:15:29 PM7/10/21
to pn...@googlegroups.com
Great to see the iNaturalist project page and the number of observations! PNLIT can plan for a  bioBlitz event one of these days. And really interesting to know about the 'weeds' in the lake and removal efforts.

Kaustubh