Lake Update on World Environment Day

Usha Rajagopalan

Jun 5, 2021, 3:41:06 AM6/5/21
to pn...@googlegroups.com, savebanga...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,
Greetings to all on World Environment Day. On this occasion which calls for protecting our ecosystem, we are happy to give you an update about our neighbourhood lake.

The best news is that the Puttakere is free of sewage at last, or should we say, for now? With the BWSSB's replacement drain leaking as recently as February, we had to pursue them to get it resolved. It turned out that the connecting drain outside the premises was not big enough hence the back flow was entering the lake. For almost the whole of April, the middle of the road in front of the petrol bunk (on the BM - Arekere road) was dug up. For various reasons including rain, work couldn't proceed as planned. With BBMP, we, and the slum dwellers urging them, BWSSB engineers replaced the drain and, on  22nd April, arrested the back flow.

The slum dwellers were forced to protest because sewage had entered several of their houses too. Two years after the High Court disposed of their writ petition, we filed one on 6th March seeking the Hon'ble Court to issue directions to the government to relocate the slum and stop sewage inflow permanently. Our WP 4964/2021 came up for hearing on 31st May. The Division Bench has asked the respondents to file their objections and fixed the next hearing on 6th July.

After the sewage influx was stopped, the BBMP contractor had less than a week before the lock down to resume his work. He managed to strengthen the bund on the slum side, but couldn't complete the pitching or do the few other pending tasks. Like him, we too have learned to take such delays in our stride and to take (greater) pleasure in the small things at the lake.  Most of the photos attached with this mail were taken by our gardener, Ramu, with his mobile. The quality is not very good but they will hopefully  lift your spirits too. We can all do with a bit of cheer in these depressing times.

The rain has turned it into a swampy grassland once again and the birds are loving it! A couple of weeks ago, our gardeners had put up perches which are being put to good use by different species of birds. Their return to the lake is one of the things that boosts our morale.

Increasingly researchers are pointing to a direct link between destruction of nature and outbreak of diseases. On  World Environment Day, today, let us pledge to promote awareness and protection of the environment and natural resources and do our bit through the year!

With all good wishes that you and your family stay safe.
Yours truly,
PNLIT team

--
PNLIT: Breathing Life into a Lake
Puttenahalli Lake from June 2010

And the birds are back - Lapwing.jpg
Bright flowers of Galphima.jpg
Terrapin sunning itself.jpg
And the birds are back - Swamp hens and Coor.jpg
Bird perches and yet to be completed revetment 29 May 2021.jpg
As clean as rain water can be 31 May 2021.jpg
Another part of the walk way 28 May 2021.jpg
Dragonfruit flowers 4 June 2021.jpg
Green and lush 28 May 2021.jpg
Pigeons galore 29 May 2021.jpg
After heavy rain 4th June 2021.jpg

Deepa Mohan

Jun 5, 2021, 4:04:54 AM6/5/21
to pn...@googlegroups.com
Happy to hear read this upbeat report!

Deepa.

Sriram V

Jun 5, 2021, 6:46:01 AM6/5/21
to pn...@googlegroups.com
Very happy to know of the developments, however small, but progressive.

You have given a great lesson in perseverance. Thank you.

C Narayanan

Jun 5, 2021, 12:52:29 PM6/5/21
to pn...@googlegroups.com
Great news. Thank you.
Narayanan

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 5, 2021, at 1:11 PM, Usha Rajagopalan <puttenah...@gmail.com> wrote:

<And the birds are back - Lapwing.jpg>
<And the birds are back - Swamp hens and Coor.jpg>
<Bird perches and yet to be completed revetment 29 May 2021.jpg>
<As clean as rain water can be 31 May 2021.jpg>
<Another part of the walk way 28 May 2021.jpg>
<Dragonfruit flowers 4 June 2021.jpg>
<Green and lush 28 May 2021.jpg>
<Pigeons galore 29 May 2021.jpg>
<After heavy rain 4th June 2021.jpg>
<Bright flowers of Galphima.jpg>
<Terrapin sunning itself.jpg>

gopinath rao

Jun 5, 2021, 12:52:36 PM6/5/21
to pn...@googlegroups.com
Very glad to see so many improvements in the lake.Our grateful thanks to the dedicated efforts of PNLIT.Hopefully the lake becomes full after the monsoon.

On Sat, 5 Jun 2021, 13:11 Usha Rajagopalan, <puttenah...@gmail.com> wrote:

raji hari

Jun 5, 2021, 12:52:42 PM6/5/21
to pn...@googlegroups.com

wow so lovely to read this ! Cant wait to visit and have a look at the new visitors ! The lake will be open now after the lockdown ?
I havent got any pics as attachments to the email though ! would love to see them ! Wish you all the very best in your continuous relentless efforts !

Regards
Raji

Ravi Neelakantan

Jun 6, 2021, 12:46:44 AM6/6/21
to pn...@googlegroups.com
Dear Usha,

Some soothing news in its own way, on the lake front.

All good wishes,
Ravi

Mukund Acharya

Jun 6, 2021, 9:04:07 PM6/6/21
to pn...@googlegroups.com
It was good to read the update! Best wishes to you and your team on the Env Day.

Regards,
-Mukund