A Darter in Distress

已查看 1 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Usha Rajagopalan

未读,
2022年6月30日 10:19:472022/6/30
收件人

Hi all,

To nurture the Puttakere we maintain a To Do list which is like Hydra's head. Each time we tick off one task, two appear in its place. Divya, Nupur and I met at the lake yesterday, 29th June, at 1:30 p.m. to discuss, among others, trimming trees, ground cover plants, events, share updates on new initiatives and so on. An hour later we walked past the island and saw an Oriental darter sitting on a perch on the revetment.

Though it is listed as a near threatened species by the IUCN, we had a few of them at the lake but had never seen one so close. At first glance, it seemed to have caught a fish. Instead of throwing it up into the air and swallowing it head first, this Darter shook its head and fluttered its wings. We looked closer. What it had caught was not a fish but a little mass of fine fishing net! Even as we watched, the poor bird tried to scrape it off on the wood.

Our gardeners had learned to see if any bird was in trouble and had even rescued a couple of them caught in the abrasive string of a paper kite. However, given that this Darter could fly or dive away, we decided to seek expert help and telephoned the Avian and Reptile Rescue Centre (ARRC). The rescue team readily agreed to come but they had to cover a distance of about 22 kms maneuvering the afternoon traffic to reach the lake. We got home guard Nithya to keep an eye on the bird so that it could be located among all the cormorants and darters.

At 4 o'clock the lake opened to the public. The increased footfall scared the bird and it flew to the island. That was where Ramu took the rescue team.  Even as the coracle approached, however, the bird flew to another part of the island. Its next hiding place was below the low hanging branch of a Singapore Cherry. We didn't see it swim away but it popped up on a branch several metres away.  By now a number of walkers, young and old, had gathered to watch this game of "dive and seek" which could turn deadly if the bird wasn't caught soon. With dusk falling, the two rescuers decided to look around just once more, this time from the pathway.

The bird must have been exhausted by then and they managed to catch it. Wrapping a thick towel around it, they gently removed the treacherous net before releasing the Darter into the water.

Our deepest gratitude to ARRC for their prompt help.

Best regards

Usha

Photos credit: Home guard Nithya

--
PNLIT: Breathing Life into a Lake
Puttenahalli Lake from June 2010

4 Releasing the bird.jpg
5 Darter released.jpg
2 Trying to scrape off the net.jpg
3 Escape to the island.jpeg
1 Darter in distress.jpg
6 Rescuers watch the darter swim away.jpg

Govindan Iyer

未读,
2022年6月30日 22:11:462022/6/30
收件人 pn...@googlegroups.com
Really wonderful to know that the injured bird is now under good hands to recover. Thanks to the efforts of all concerned and the rescue team.

Rgds
Govind

C Narayanan

未读,
2022年6月30日 22:11:562022/6/30
收件人 pn...@googlegroups.com

Oh! What a story! What a rescue mission!
🙏🙏
Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 30, 2022, at 7:49 PM, Usha Rajagopalan <puttenah...@gmail.com> wrote:

4 Releasing the bird.jpg5 Darter released.jpg2 Trying to scrape off the net.jpg3 Escape to the island.jpeg1 Darter in distress.jpg6 Rescuers watch the darter swim away.jpg

sonali sathaye

未读,
2022年7月1日 00:22:572022/7/1
收件人 pn...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic.

Thanks for some great news in these gloomy, corrupt days, Usha.

sonali

1 Darter in distress.jpg
5 Darter released.jpg
2 Trying to scrape off the net.jpg
4 Releasing the bird.jpg
3 Escape to the island.jpeg
6 Rescuers watch the darter swim away.jpg

Ravi Neelakantan

未读,
2022年7月1日 00:22:572022/7/1
收件人 pn...@googlegroups.com
Dear Usha,

What a heart warming narrative! Your keenness and the rescuers' kindness helped in no small measure.

All good wishes,
N Ravi

Goutam Saha

未读,
2022年7月1日 01:21:362022/7/1
收件人 pn...@googlegroups.com
Alls well that ends well, i am so happy to read that the bird is back in action and out of distress. Usha ji thank you for continuous effort and “edge on the seat” story.

Regards
回复全部
回复作者
转发