Pneuma Informer January-February 2010

1 view

Pneuma Foundation

Jan 29, 2010, 11:28:27 AM1/29/10
to Pneuma-...@googlegroups.com

The January-February 2010 PNEUMA INFORMER

          In this issue

What's New at www.PneumaFoundation.org

     http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2010/pi_0102_2010.xml#N65545

     New Online Articles

     New Links and Content Worth Noticing

Special Report from Tony Richie

     http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2010/pi_0102_2010.xml#N65606

Reports from Around the World

     http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2010/pi_0102_2010.xml#N65622

     After the tsunami: from heartache to ministry

     Nepal: Church Bomber Repents

     Revival is taking place in Muslim Algeria

     Landmark Survey of International Religious Freedom

     India: Hindus fear growth of church

     News and Headlines

     Report the News

Conversations with Readers

     http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2010/pi_0102_2010.xml#N65755

Resources You Can Use

     http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2010/pi_0102_2010.xml#N65770

     Book Buying Tool

     Starting a Church Bookstore

 Chinese Pentecostal Library Project

     http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2010/pi_0102_2010.xml#N65803

Excerpts from THE PNEUMA REVIEW

     Stephen M. Vantassel, "Defending Charismatic

          Theology to Non-Charismatic Believers"

          http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2010/pi_0102_2010.xml#N65834

     Niehaus' ANCIENT NEAR EASTERN THEMES IN

          BIBLICAL THEOLOGY, Reviewed by Tony Richie

          http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2010/pi_0102_2010.xml#N65850

    David Livermore's CULTURAL INTELLIGENCE,

          Reviewed by Jonathan Downie

           http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2010/pi_0102_2010.xml#N65866

Upcoming Conferences

     http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2010/pi_0102_2010.xml#N65883

Prayer Requests

     http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2010/pi_0102_2010.xml#N65907

Read the full issue online:

     http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2010/pi_0102_2010.xml

What's New at www.PneumaFoundation.org

New Online Articles New Links and Content Worth Noticing

Special Report from Tony Richie

Historic Occasion: Pentecostal Presence at the National Council of Churches of Christ General Assembly

By Tony Richie

I am especially grateful to have been the first ever formally endorsed invited guest and observer from the Church of God (Cleveland, TN) at the National Council of Churches General Assembly in Minneapolis, Minnesota (Nov 10-12, 2009). This was truly an historic occasion.

The theme of the Assembly was "Rejoice Always, Pray without ceasing, Give thanks in all circumstances (I Thessalonians 5:16-18, NRSV.) Some commented that although at first glance this seemed inappropriately optimistic in the face of world conditions, it actually reflects the Church's faith that God has called them together to proclaim the gospel and restore justice to the world. Staff leaders of two sister two organizations - the Rev. Dr. Michael Kinnamon, General Secretary of the National Council of Churches, and the Rev. John L. McCullough, Executive Director and CEO of Church World Service - each described alarming conditions in which millions live in the nation and around the world, and called upon the member communions to recommit themselves to proclaiming this gospel of hope and justice. Dr Kinnamon in particular said it was appropriate for Christians to be openly outraged about the state of the world. However, he also called the NCC to repentance and to remember the cause for which God first raised it up: the unity of the body of Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit.

Dr Kinnamon also invited me to address the Assembly briefly, bringing greetings from the Church of God and from other Pentecostals in expressed appreciation for the meeting. I particularly stressed the work of the Holy Spirit in the world today. There was a great deal of applause then and later personal expressions of affirmation for the global role of the Church of God and Pentecostalism in general today. Partly as a result of this public exposure and partly as a result of some previous personal relationships, I spent a great deal of time talking with people about global Pentecostalism. I also passed out some literature and contact information. Many inquirers approached me. In short, I shared my Pentecostal testimony with others!

The NCC GA also had regular worship services with each one led by a different Christian tradition, and daily prayer times and Bible studies (with Bibles provided by the American Bible Society through the mediation of President R. Lamar Vest, former Presiding Bishop of the Church of God). The emphasis overall, however, was on social action. Emphasis was on alleviating poverty and establishing justice and peace; but economic crisis, health care reform, nuclear proliferation, and global water shortages were also addressed. A few times climate change came up too, along with some evidence of prolife presence and women's rights advocacy. Ecumenism and interfaith issues repeatedly surfaced. A highlight was when Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty came. After breakfast, he addressed the GA, highlighting the importance of God and religion in American public life and government. Further, Dr Richard L. "Dick" Hamm, Executive Director of Christian Churches Together (CTT) was present and strongly stressed partnering with Evangelicals and Pentecostals to the entire GA. We have agreed to follow up on discussing Pentecostals and CTT.

As it turns out, another Pentecostal, my friend Andrew Hudson, was also present. Andrew was one of two senior stewards at NCC. He was a steward last year as well through application and this year he was asked and nominated to be one of the leaders of this group. He was also the chair of the worship committee for the New Fire young adult ecumenical conference in the preconference program. The committee was made up of 3 members and 12 denominations. Brother Hudson was the only Pentecostal. He is the son of a Church of God pastor and is himself an ordained minister from Western North Carolina. Andrew is a 2nd year Master of Divinity student at Princeton Theological Seminary. Further, he is the co-moderator for ACTS (Association of Charismatic and Pentecostal Theological Students) at Princeton Seminary. He is the multicultural ministries director for Mt. Bethel Church of God in Trenton, NJ and a member of the youth advisory board for the Church of God in NJ. Brother Hudson is as an example of some of our best and brightest young ministers and students who are becoming increasingly interested in ecumenical ministries. We were both very well received.

There are undeniably some political and theological differences between Pentecostals and some members of the NCC. However, the NCC is a broad group, including a wide range of both conservatives and liberals. The Preamble of their Constitution stresses their belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior according to the Scriptures. Therefore, perhaps there may be room to work together in some measure, especially on Christian unity, and perhaps on shared causes. They do seem anxious to hear our voice and willing to act on what they hear. And, to a certain extent, perhaps we can all learn from each other. It seems like everyone wants to know more about Pentecostals; and many are interested in partnering for Christian mission. Of course, we have a lot of differences with some of these kinds of groups, but also some great commonalities. Personally, I just like to make sure Spirit-filled voices are being heard at every level, and, even more importantly, to testify far and wide of what God is doing among us. Please pray for me as I endeavor to fulfill faithfully what is admittedly a different kind of ministry.

I'm excited about the fresh possibilities for expanding ministries in contemporary times. February 27, 2010 Regent University School of Divinity in Virginia Beach, VA is doing a Symposium on the Great Commission and World Religions. Wipf & Stock will be publishing the different presentations as a book later in the year. Clifton Clarke and Amos Yong are sponsoring the symposium through Regent's Center for the Study of Global Missions and World Christianity. I'm one of the keynote speakers, along with Veli-Matti Karkkainen, Kirsteen Kim, Cephas Omenyo, and Steven Studebaker. I will be discussing a Pentecostal/charismatic approach to Christian mission regarding the Great Commission and World Religions. I am convinced Pentecostal and Charismatic Christians have much to offer in this exciting area. Please see link for more information.
www.regent.edu/acad/schdiv/newsandevents/world-religions-great-commission/presenters.shtml

__________

Tony Richie, D.Min, D.Th. (candidate), a bishop in the Church of God (Cleveland, TN), is pastor of New Harvest in Knoxville, TN and does adjunct teaching at Church of God Theological Seminary (Cleveland, TN) and Church of God South American Seminary (Quito, Ecuador). He also serves the Society for Pentecostal Studies as liaison to the Interfaith Relations Committee of the National Council of Churches. His articles that have appeared in numerous Christian academic journals. www.pentecostalambassador.com

Reports from Around the World

After the tsunami: from heartache to ministry
A Christian couple in India is turning heartache into ministry. In the 2004 tsunami, Paramesvaran and Choodamani lost all three of their children to the Indian Ocean. At first, they focused their hurt and anger at God. However, they realized they were spared for a reason and decided to help kids orphaned by the tragedy. Today, with the help of the Southern Baptist International Mission Board, Paramesvaran and Choodamani have 20 adopted kids, who have all placed their faith in Christ. Without the couple's influence, these children may never have heard about Christ.
Source: Mission Network News, 1 December, 2009. Full story: http://www.mnnonline.org/article/13563

Nepal: Church Bomber Repents
Disillusioned with Hindu nationalists, the leader of a militant Hindu extremist group says contact with Christians in prison led him to repent of bombing a Catholic church in Kathmandu, Nepal, in May 2008.
Full story: http://charismamag.com/index.php/news/25833-church-bomber-in-nepal-repents-admits-india-link

Revival is taking place in Muslim Algeria
Despite laws preventing conversion, Muslims are turning to Christ in what's being called an amazing move of the Spirit in Northern Algeria. Pastor Youssef Jacob with Operation Mobilization reports phenomenal growth. "We have churches that have grown 820% in a year. Many converts come from Islam with no Christian heritage, no Christian background, no resources whatsoever, no training. But they just believe in God." Jacob says the Kabylie region has a church in every village or town. One village has more churches than mosques. With all the new Christians, training is needed. Jacob says funding is desperate. "If we fail to train, disciple, and empower the Algerian church today, I believe it will be one of the biggest mistakes in the history of missions to the Muslim world." Pray that training will be funded and that the Gospel will be heard across North Africa and Europe.
Source: Mission Network News, 10 December, 2009. Full story: http://www.mnnonline.org/article/13606

Landmark Survey of International Religious Freedom
The Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life has released the Global Restrictions On Religion report that says 70 percent of the world lives in areas with high restrictions on religion.
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2009/decemberweb-only/151-33.0.html

India: Hindus fear growth of church
Violence continues plaguing Christians across India. Christians are the targets of violence on a weekly basis. Until now, Christians could only guess that they were being attacked because so many Hindus were turning to Christ. President of Mission India of Grand Rapids, Michigan Dave Stravers says now there is hard evidence from hardline Hindu groups. "We [received] a power point presentation from a Hindu extremist group warning people in the state of Karnataka that the Christians are growing so fast that they're worried the state might actually become a majority Christian state." Hindus also believe Andhra Pradesh could become Christian, and radicals are responding with violence. Just recently they attacked a pastor supported by Mission India. "About 11:30 in the morning, in the middle of the service, a group of approximately 50 men ran into the church wielding clubs. They ran up to the pulpit area and just began beating the pastor." Pray that believers will remain strong in their faith and that the church will grow in the face of this type of persecution.
Source: Mission Network News, 23 November, 2009. Full story: http://www.mnnonline.org/article/13533

News and Headlines

Visit links.jsp for Current News and Links

See other news to pray and praise God about in the Prayer Requests department below.

Report the News
We are looking for stories about what God is doing in the world, reports about the persecution of Christians, and information about significant trends and ministry opportunities. If you have a news item to report, please send an email to the PNEUMA INFORMER. http://www.pneumafoundation.org/contactus.jsp

Conversations with Readers

I thank the whole staff for the good job they have been doing in the whole year. God bless, your reward is big in heaven. I wish you a blessed time when stepping into new year.
God is For You.
— Jared

Dear Tony Richie,
This is just to thank you for your works, especially in the Pneuma Review. I have learned a lot and I just want to say thank you. I admire your work and as a growing African scholar and minister would like to grow to the level you are in.
I have just finished my Master of Theology studies, I am doing ministry with Nairobi Pentecostal church where we are reaching the Asian community here in Nairobi. I am 29 and praying that God will help me go for my PhD to help further His work. Please pray with me ...
Thank you and God Bless
Michael Wambua
Nairobi, Kenya

Hello Michael,
Thanks so much for your kind note. I am glad that my work is a blessing to you. Of course, Pneuma Review is a great periodical for church leaders, ministers, and scholars, and I'm honored to be a small part of its global ministry. I'm making the editor, Raul Mock, aware of your gracious comments and prayer needs. Please be assured that we will continue in prayer for your ministry and studies.
God Bless,
— Tony Richie

Greetings, Tony and Michael. Thank you for the notes of encouragement. I continue to be amazed by what the Lord has allowed some wannabe pastors and Bible teachers from West Michigan (where we got started in the 1990s) to be able to accomplish through the Pneuma Foundation.
As you become aware of resources that can help or have helped to connect growing scholars with further educational opportunities, please let us at the Foundation know about it. We regularly receive requests for such information and it would be a real service to the global church if we could help connect folks to such opportunities.
In the love of the Father,
Raul Mock
Executive Editor, The Pneuma Review

I know coming to towards the end of year must be miracle that we should thank God for. I know the whole staff must have worked vigorously to attain the best in serving God, In the love that Jesus extended to us, I wish you a blessed new year.
— PA

Resources You Can Use

Book Buying Tool
Doug Lucas of Brigada Today says:
Why do I always use Amazon when Bookfinder4u.com is around? I'm not sure. Because, you see, Bookfinder4u *includes* Amazon in its search, along with about 74 other online stores. www.bookfinder4u.com
If we were asking someone to come fix our roof, we'd get 3 bids. Why do I just take Amazon's price, assuming it's the best. Maybe it is - but Bookfinder4u will always confirm that in an instant. Brigada reader Jim, in Chicago, wrote, "After much research in spring 2007, before buying 50 commentaries covering the Bible, I researched book-shopping comparison search engines. By far the best seemed to be www.bookfinder4u.com. I highly recommend it for saving money on books. It compares the best prices available from Amazon, eBay, and 128 other sites, then arranges them in price order."
Source: 2009/11/08 - Brigada Today

Starting a Church Bookstore
Sean Fowlds, "How to Start a Church Bookstore" (MinistryTodayOnline) http://ministrytodaymag.com/index.php/ministry-facilities/equipment/5481-how-to-start-a-church-bookstore

Chinese Pentecostal Library Project

Promoting Theology from a Pentecostal/charismatic Perspective in the Chinese-Speaking World

The Pneuma Foundation Board of Directors urges our members to participate in this special project. We are grateful that The Foundation for Pentecostal Scholarship is championing this opportunity to equip believers around the world.

Each day in China 28,000 people enter a Christ-less eternity. A sustained Pentecostal revival is needed to stop this hemorrhaging of souls in this nation of 1.3 billion people. Your help is vital.

Observers of the Chinese church, particularly the burgeoning house church movement, have been impressed by its vitality and largely Pentecostal orientation. However, the Chinese church is entering a new era, one marked by fresh opportunities and unique challenges.

The house churches in China are rapidly emerging from a period of forced isolation (praise God!) and are now actively interacting with Christians from other parts of the world. As they interact with these Christians, Chinese Pentecostals are often confronted with new theological perspectives and different approaches to the Bible. New questions are being raised which demand fresh answers. Generally, this interaction represents a healthy development.

There is, however, a potential downside to this new opening for the Chinese church. Their Pentecostal experience and theology are often criticized and called into question by their new friends. This is particularly the case in the scholarly books many Chinese Christians are beginning to read, books that obscure or berate the possibility of a Pentecostal empowerment for believers. The problem is the lack of scholarly material that is supportive of Pentecostal theology and practice.

With this need in view, The Foundation for Pentecostal Scholarship, in conjunction with friends serving in China, would like to publish and/or distribute to a wider audience a number of scholarly Pentecostal books that are currently available in Chinese. The goal is to make these important books available to key Chinese Bible schools, libraries, and church groups throughout the region (China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Malaysia).

According to one estimate, there are 100 million Christians in China. Probably eighty million of these are Pentecostal/charismatics. This project offers us a chance to support our brothers and sisters there and to insure that the message of the power of Pentecost is not diluted or erased in these formative years but that it will continue to be preached and taught in the higher circles of Chinese academia.

This inexpensive project has the potential of significantly impacting the future church in China and beyond. Please visit www.tffps.org to see how you can help.

Excerpts from THE PNEUMA REVIEW

For a full index of the contents of all Pneuma Review issues, visit: http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pr_archive.jsp.

Stephen M. Vantassel, "Defending Charismatic Theology to Non-Charismatic Believers"

From the Winter 2010 issue

Defending Charismatic Theology to Non-Charismatic Believers
By Stephen M. Vantassel

In one sense, charismatics have finally achieved a certain level of respectability within the Evangelical movement. Today, we have academic societies and publications[1] dedicated to the study of charismatic and Pentecostal issues in which even non-charismatics participate. Our books can now be published outside of denominationally-based publishing houses.[2] One could reasonably argue that the movement has finally found a seat at the Evangelical table.

While it is gratifying that much of the overt and bitter opposition to charismatic theology has diminished in recent years[3], charismatics still confront pockets of theological opposition. In the spirit of having answers for those that question (1 Peter 3:15) and rebuttals for those that doubt (Titus 1:9), I have several tips to help defend and propagate charismatic beliefs.

Before delving into the tips, I must lay a little ground work. First, this article deals with apologetics within the Christian community. Although elements of the following tips may be helpful for responding to non-believers that purpose is secondary to the goals in this article. Second, apologetics is a dangerous game not just because of the important theological and spiritual issues at stake, but also due to the emotions and pride that can accompany debates. Certain personalities are drawn to the challenge of ideological conflicts. If this trait characterizes you, I want to caution you to avoid the error of being more concerned about winning the argument than helping a brother understand the truth. Spiritual maturity is a critical element in responsible apologetics. We must always remember that our debates with fellow believers should have a different tone and spirit than our work with non-believers. Furthermore, one must employ wisdom when selecting among the following tips. Just as a golfer chooses different clubs for different situations, so apologists must select the right tip for the particular situation.

Third, understand that non-charismatics fall into two main groups, belligerent and non-belligerent. Those that are hostile to charismatic theology, I call anti-charismatics. They can be identified by their public and vocal opposition. Their statements may range from those showing great theological care and nuance to those dripping with venom and derision. Thankfully, most non-charismatics fall into the non-belligerent camp, which I call the non-charismatics. Non-charismatics are not hostile to charismatics as they do not consider charismatics to be heretical, just mistaken or a system that does not fit their personality. I suggest that non-charismatics are more likely to open to change than anti-charismatics. However, do not underestimate the power of the Holy Spirit to break the hard-heart of anti-charismatics.

Tip #1. Ask the anti-charismatic to tell his/her testimony and experience in Christ. It may sound strange but I believe that many anti-charismatics took this position because of a bad experience. In other words, their bias against charismatic theology stems from experience not exegesis. Whether their negative experience was legitimate, or simply a misunderstanding on their part, is ultimately irrelevant. The point is that their negative experience with charismatic theology or behavior has colored their understanding and view of charismatics. I discovered this truth during a conversation with a non-charismatic minister. He recounted a sad story of how his charismatic mentor ultimately failed him. I could sense that his emotional pain still lingered even though many years had passed. I can only wonder how this brother's theology would have developed if his charismatic mentor had treated him differently.

The upshot of this tip is three-fold. First, do not debate with someone whose views have been adopted due to a negative emotional experience. Facts rarely trump emotion. If you have any doubts, consider how parents react when told that their child is below average due to a lack of ability rather than lack of effort. Even though everyone knows that 50% of the population must have below average intelligence, everyone thinks they are not part of that group. Second, personal stories will help you understand not only your interlocutor but others who have had similar experiences. Frequently, just listening in an empathetic way will be cathartic for anti-charismatics. Your openness will let them know that "not all charismatics are alike" and thus stimulate them to reassess their opinion of the movement. Finally, their stories will assist you in avoiding unnecessary offence with other non-charismatics. You should also privately commit yourself to live your life in a manner that will avoid adding to his list of charismatic failures.

. . .

__________

Stephen M. Vantassel, Ph.D. theology (Trinity Theological Seminary), M.A.T.S. Old Testament (Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary), B.S. Biblical Studies (Gordon College), is an instructor of theology at King's Evangelical Divinity School in the U.K. He is also the Assistant Editor for the Evangelical Review of Society and Politics, and author of Dominion over Wildlife? An Environmental-Theology of Human-Wildlife Relations (Wipf and Stock, 2009). He lives with his wife in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Footnotes appear in the printed version of this article excerpt.

Read the rest of this article and many other articles in the Winter 2010 issue of THE PNEUMA REVIEW www.pneumafoundation.org/intro_pr.jsp

Niehaus' ANCIENT NEAR EASTERN THEMES IN BIBLICAL THEOLOGY, Reviewed by Tony Richie

From the Winter 2010 issue

Jeffrey J. Niehaus, Ancient Near Eastern Themes in Biblical Theology (Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2008), 203 pages, ISBN 9780825433603.

Jeffrey J. Niehaus (PhD, Harvard University) is professor of Old Testament at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary. His previous publications include God at Sinai: Covenant and Theophany in the Bible and Ancient Near East (Zondervan, 1995) as well as commentaries on Amos and Obadiah (Baker, 1992-93) and numerous journal articles. In the text now under discussion, Ancient Near Eastern Themes in Biblical Theology, Niehaus draws on research into ancient Near Eastern contexts to compare numerous parallels in (especially) the Old Testament (OT) and the Bible as a whole. Carefully researched and yet written in quite readable language, it is well organized and has a short but good bibliography and Scripture and subject indexes. This work should be an excellent resource for students, teachers, pastors, and Bible readers interested in understanding more deeply the cultural and spiritual background of the Holy Scriptures.

The Preface and first chapter identify Niehaus' guiding principles. He writes reverently. He is convinced of God's sovereignty over history and human cultures, and therefore contends that God has "allowed a variety of parallels to arise between theological concepts and practices in the ancient Near East and their counterparts in the Bible." However, he thinks "there is not only a parallelism between certain themes in the Bible and its world, but there is also a structure of thought that is common to them both and that forms the theological backbone of the Bible." Niehaus defends a strong doctrine of truth rooted in the biblical revelation. Yet he also defends the idea that ancient myths can contain elements of truth more plainly manifested in the Bible itself. Some try to account for this strange fact by positing some universal aspect of human nature and others simply see the Bible as dependant on pagan literature; but Niehaus looks at pagan literature through the lens of the Bible rather than the converse. In a word, Niehaus parts company with much of contemporary ancient Near Eastern and OT scholarship. He plainly does not see the Bible as dependant on pagan literature. Rather, he thinks the biblical revelation draws on preexisting and widespread cultural thought constructs to communicate divinely revealed eternal truth.

Niehaus argues, first, that the OT preserves true and accurate accounts of major events (e.g., Creation, the Flood), but that extra biblical sources may also "preserve the memory of such events", albeit in distorted forms. Second, he argues that the OT uses literary and legal forms current in surrounding cultures as vehicles of special revelation. Third, he argues that the parallels between these appear "because God allowed concepts that are true of him and his ways to appear in the realm of common grace." Accordingly, the Old and New Testaments complete and fulfill "the shared theological structure of ideas" that already existed in the ancient Near East. He goes farther, however, insisting that this shared theological structure provides "the theological backbone of the whole Bible." He readily admits that in the ancient Near East the shared structure eventually became "blurred" and that in modern western cultures it has been "abandoned"; it is only "kept alive" in the Church, "God's people, who continue to be his temple and to advance his kingdom, until he returns to establish it once and for all, for all time, and for all who believe in him."

In the next several chapters, Niehaus compares and contrasts specific parallels between the pagan literature of the ancient Near East and the Bible. Chapter Two is on "God and the Royal Shepherd," three on "Covenant and Conquest," four, "City, Temple, Image," five, "City and Temple: Abandoned and Restored," six, "The Covenantal Household: Destruction and Salvation," and finally, seven, "The Restoration of All Things." In each of these chapters, Niehaus surveys an abundance of ancient Near Eastern pagan literature, Sumerian, Assyrian, Babylonian, Hittite, etc., but especially, Egyptian, on the specified topic and then carefully draws correspondences with the biblical material. In each case, he aims to show both that the biblical revelation drew on prevalent, and to an extent, true, themes in surrounding cultures and also that the biblical revelation is itself uniquely complete and true. In the process, Niehaus manages to open up incredible insights into the breadth and depth of Sacred Writ.

In the final chapter, "Conclusion: A Symphony of Parallels," Ancient Near Eastern Themes in Biblical Theology suggests that demonic influence and activity was responsible for parallels between ancient Near Eastern pagan literature and the Old Testament and whole Bible. Yet it also suggests the parallels are "rooted in truth: revealed truth in the Old Testament and the Bible, and distorted truth in the ancient Near East." Denying that the parallels may have been coincidental, Niehaus argues that the nature of false religions inevitably leads to the conclusion that demonic powers must have been behind them. However, he also argues that God in his providence used the parallels in ancient Near Eastern thought to prepare people for truth, albeit in "darkened and polytheistic forms." Such truth could have no saving power but God could still use it to bring saving truth to light. Niehaus concludes that in this way God was glorified even in pagan religions "for even in their darkness the pagans had retained or obtained common grace reflections of his truth." Of course, it is the fuller revelation of this truth in Christ that now makes salvation possible, and all Christian theology as well.

Overall Ancient Near Eastern Themes in Biblical Theology by Jeffrey J. Niehaus is great work. The undergirding argument that neither pagan literature nor biblical revelation is dependant on the other but that both are the results of God's providence and power, albeit in vastly differing ways, is consistently and cogently presented. Thus, Niehaus commendably and remarkably unravels threads of theological meaning latent in the structures of the background of biblical culture. Yet his reverence for the unique inspiration and authority of the Holy Bible is everywhere evident. Therefore, the result of reading Ancient Near Eastern Themes in Biblical Theology is a deeper, fuller, richer appreciation and understanding of the Scriptures and their central themes. As such it is a highly recommended read.

However, Niehaus somewhat clumsily tries to combine the theological category of "common grace" in the revelatory process with a doctrine of total demonic inspiration of non-Christian religions. In other words, frequently he explains parallels between the ancient Near East and the Bible by appealing in the same breath to God's gracious activity and to demonic activity. It ought to be one or the other or even here the one and there the other; but it ought not to be both together indiscriminately. At the very least, one should carefully explicate the distinctions. Unfortunately, Niehaus argues simultaneously for preparation through divine inspiration and distortion through demonic inspiration. Of course, Scripture does teach that pagan sacrifices were demonically inspired (e.g., 1 Co 10:20-21). And the universality of God's grace is certainly biblical (Titus 2:11). However, the two are certainly not synonymous. Integrating the two indiscriminately is ill advised. As for the former, Paul does not seem to be referring to the kind of topics that Niehaus labels "parallels" - e.g., covenant or restoration - but to the horror of idolatry itself as demonic. It does not necessarily follow that recognizable truth from a Christian perspective found in pagan religions is demonically inspired as well. As for the latter, it is inappropriate to identify, even ever so indirectly, God's gracious providence with the demonic. The repulsiveness of this approach shows when Niehaus (inadvertently?) makes God and demons collaborative partners in preparing people for divine truth and scriptural salvation.

Admittedly, part of the problem appears to be Niehaus' a priori commitment to the categorical construct of common grace. Common grace, at its best, recognizes God's goodness in creation and kindness toward all humanity. At its worst, it denies any genuine epistemological or soteriological implications of God's gracious presence and influence, even arguing it only intensifies damnable inevitability, which is, of course, quite contrary to the biblical (e.g., Rom 2:4) and theological understanding of the "grace that goes before" conversion, or "prevenient grace." Accordingly, confusion about the divine and the demonic in "extra-biblical revelation," as Niehaus terms it, becomes common place. Much more clear is that demonic distortions in false religions must be discerned or distinguished (cf. 1 Co 12:10) from the divine light graciously given to all human beings (John 1:9). Of course, there are both divine and demonic elements in many non-Christian religions. The key is for us to learn to discern the difference. Amos Yong has taught us that much in Discerning of the Spirit(s): A Pentecostal-Charismatic Contribution to the Christian Theology of Religions (Sheffield Academic, 2000).

Fortunately, the preceding remarks do not detract from the otherwise excellent features of Ancient Near Eastern Themes in Biblical Theology. Mostly, it is probably indicative of a sincere struggle when the parallels of pagan and Christian truth confronts one so squarely, not only in today's pluralistic society, but even within the inspired pages of the Bible itself. Also, it suggests the unexpected complications that may arise from attempting to superimpose certain theological presuppositions on biblical interpretation. For the most part, especially as far as concerns sound biblical theology, Niehaus admirably analyzes the important parallels of the ancient Near East and the biblical revelation while stoutly maintaining the utter distinctiveness of the biblical testimony. In any case, his study is certainly a commendable contribution to a greater understanding of the world of the Bible and its reality for today.

Reviewed by Reviewed by Tony Richie

__________

Tony Richie, D.Min, D.Th. (candidate), a bishop in the Church of God (Cleveland, TN), is pastor of New Harvest in Knoxville, TN and does adjunct teaching at Church of God Theological Seminary (Cleveland, TN) and Church of God South American Seminary (Quito, Ecuador). He also serves the Society for Pentecostal Studies as liaison to the Interfaith Relations Committee of the National Council of Churches. His articles that have appeared in numerous Christian academic journals. www.pentecostalambassador.com

Read more reviews and other articles in the Winter 2010 issue of THE PNEUMA REVIEW www.pneumafoundation.org/intro_pr.jsp

David Livermore's CULTURAL INTELLIGENCE, Reviewed by Jonathan Downie

From the Winter 2010 issue

David A. Livermore, Cultural Intelligence: Improving your CQ to Engage our Multicultural World (Baker Academic, 2009), 288 pages, ISBN 9780801035890.

What is 'cultural intelligence' and why is it important? In today's multicultural and multilingual world, it is more necessary than ever for church leaders and lay believers to learn how to express "love and respect for people who look, think, believe, act and see differently than we do" (11). This becomes all the more pressing when we realise that several different generations or even nationalities may be present in the churches and communities in which we live and worship. This is the driving force behind David A. Livermore's excellent introduction to cross-cultural work and ministry. This guide is suitable for all leaders who have a heart to "reach across the chasm of cultural difference" (11) and, in this reviewer's opinion, is destined to become a classic in its field and the benchmark against which future works will be based.

The book is split into four parts, covering the four areas of cultural intelligence (shortened to CQ), a new model for cross-cultural work and reflection. In the first part, "Love CQ," Dr Livermore argues that the basis of all successful cross-cultural work must be genuine love for others and not simply "politically correct tolerance" (20). Only once we are sure that this is our foundation can we move on to actually learning about other cultures.

The second part, "Knowledge CQ," maps out the contours of culture as a concept and gives examples of its different representations in everyday life. In chapter 4, for example, the author summarises the typical values of the prevailing socioethnic culture of the USA, while in chapter 5 he wrestles with the complicated task of defining culture. The last three chapters of this part cover the nature of different cultural domains, from socioethnic to organisational culture (chapter 6), the relationship between language and culture (chapter 7) and a general overview of a variety of cultural values, overlaid on a series of sliding scales (chapter 8).

While this part does offer a good framework for learning about our own cultural background and that of others, there are two deficiencies which must be pointed out. The first is the use of the socioethnic culture of the USA as the starting point for this discussion. While this may be excusable if the author intends the book to be read by an exclusively US audience, it will prove much less useful for non-US readers, as the author himself admits (61). For them this chapter will be, at best, a springboard for their own reflections. At worst, in using the USA as a reference point for discussing a range of cultural values (127-140), the author could be accused of subconsciously continuing the same ethnocentric patterns he worries about elsewhere (e.g. 220-225). This problem could easily have been avoided by removing the US as a reference point and keeping to the strategy of illustrating these differences using a variety of cultures.

The second deficiency is that in chapter 5, where he sets out to define culture, no settled definition is actually presented. Instead, we are offered a handful of "useful" definitions and a tour around common metaphors used in discussions of cultures (80-81). While it may indeed be true that the very nature of culture makes it difficult to define, and while previous definitions may not have been too helpful (80), the lack of a settled working definition here is disappointing.

The third, and most theoretical, part of the book is entitled "Interpretative CQ" and asks us to consider the meanings behind the representations of culture discussed in the previous parts. Here, we are encouraged to become aware of what is going on and our own emotions as well as to attempt to empathise with the people we meet who come from a different culture. This will help us avoid the common trap of assuming that cultural cues like body language and word choice have the same meanings in different cultures.

The middle two chapters of this part (chapters 10 and 11) are, to my mind, the most thought-provoking. The topics of how different cultures go about labelling sets of objects and forming categories may seem utterly divorced from everyday ministry realities. However, in these chapters Dr Livermore skilfully shows us that these two areas not only help us towards a greater understanding of how different cultures view the world but also why we might react the way we do to different situations. These chapters also have applications in crucial ministry areas such as the way we view becoming a Christian and how we interact with other churches.

In the fourth and final part "Perseverance and Behavioral CQ," the knowledge and theory from the previous sections are applied to everyday practice. While this section may seem a little short, this is simply because the author's research has shown that ministry leaders tend to be far weaker in the areas covered in previous sections (210). That aside, this section takes us on a journey from examining our own motivation to continually develop our CQ (chapter 13) to practical ways to develop it (chapter 15). This latter chapter contains a gold mine of ideas, not all of which will seem natural or comfortable to readers. However, it would seem that this very discomfort, when analysed and reflected upon, can be a catalyst to greater cultural intelligence.

The Appendices are excellent, as are the short Suggested Reading sections at the end of each chapter. Of the former, the most highly recommended are Appendix B, a self-assessment test of your cultural intelligence (CQ) and Appendix D on forming a culturally intelligent ministry environment. If the Church is to see the manifestation of Galatians 3:28 any time soon, this last Appendix must become a reference point for all churches.

Overall, this book is an absolute must for all ministry leaders and lay believers wishing to reach across the cultural barriers that have divided us for too long. After all, while migration and increased international travel have led to increased linguistic and cultural diversity in towns and cities of all sizes, this has not yet been reflected in the makeup of the churches who serve them. Instead, the congregation of typical American or British churches tends to be monolingual and dominated by a single socioethnic culture. It is therefore very difficult to find a real excuse for any leader in any ministry situation not to read this book. While there are one or two weaknesses and while occasionally the language does lean a little too far towards the academic for some lay readers, this should not be enough to put people off. If the principles found in this book were to be carefully applied by all church leaders and those in ministry then churches and their surrounding communities would stand to reap the benefits.

Reviewed by Jonathan Downie

__________

Jonathan Downie is a professional interpreter and translator, with a research interest in the use of interpreting and translation in Christian ministry. His company, Integrity Languages, aims to provide interpreting and translation services for Christian organizations as well as advice and training on best practice in these areas. He is married to Helen, a graduate of International Christian College in Glasgow, Scotland.

Read more reviews and other articles in the Winter 2010 issue of THE PNEUMA REVIEW www.pneumafoundation.org/intro_pr.jsp

Upcoming Conferences

The Great Commission and the Non-Christian Religions
A conference on world religions and the Great Commission, towards a renewal approach to missions.
Where: Regent University School of Divinity in Virginia Beach, Virginia (USA)
When: February 27, 2010, 8:30 am to 4:00 pm
From the website:
With the growth of Christian faith around the world as well as a resurgence of Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism in various regions, some observers have predicted a coming "clash of cultures" or "clash of civilizations." Certainly, if the fundamentalist elements of each of these traditions were in charge, that might well be the case.
However, what if the Holy Spirit were to lead and Christians were to follow in their encounter with other faiths? Or what if at the vanguard of the global Christianity were pentecostal, charismatic and renewal movements with Spirit-filled people engaged in fulfilling the mission of the church? Would that make any difference, and if so, what difference would that make for the encounter between Christianity and the world religions in the twenty-first century?
Clifton Clarke and Amos Yong write:

This year Regent University School of Divinity will hold a symposium focusing on the important topic of renewal theology of mission in a pluralistic world. In particular, we would like to invite you to consider with us a range of important theological and practical issues related to renewal missiology in a religiously plural world: How do and should Pentecostals and charismatic understand religious others? How do and should Pentecostals and charismatics evangelize and missionize people of other faiths? Are there different theologies and mission strategies required for the various world religious traditions? These and other questions will be engaged and we welcome your participation in our deliberations.
Learn more about this symposium by going to: www.regent.edu/greatcommission

Empowered21: Global Congress on Holy Spirit Empowerment in the 21st Century
Where: Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, Oklahoma (USA)
When: April 8-10, 2010
"A Live event that will help shape the future of the Spirit-empowered movement around the world."

Jack Hayford writes: "I deeply believe in the prophetic significance of Empowered21 and I want to invite you to be a part. Just as the Azusa Street Celebration several years ago celebrated the past, Empowered21 is reaching heavenward in a passionate way that we might reach forward in a Holy Spirit directed way." www.empowered21.com

Prayer Requests

  • Pastor John writes: "Greeting from India. Thank you for your prayers. We need them more and more. We are reaching the unreached rural villages, where people have never heard the name of Jesus even once in their lives. Please pray for them. There are 722 villages never reached by any mission. Please encourage us how can we reach them, how to give them gospel to them. ... Help us to give Jesus to 4 million unreached people in our region. Thank you, Pastor John C." Reference number: 90039347

  • Praying for the Persecuted Church. As you pray for those who suffer just because they are followers of Jesus, be encouraged by the words of a former guerrilla who is now a pastor in Colombia: "It is not easy, but we are certain we are in the hands of the Lord."
    - Pray for the Christians in the precarious Palestinian territories where they face pressure from all sides. Pray that the faith of these believers will not be dampened by the exodus of fellow believers and that they will remain bold witnesses of Christ's love and grace.
    - Pray for believers in Colombia, Mexico and the Philippines as they risk their lives to witness for Christ in communities hostile to God and His Word. Pray that, even when rejected and pressured for their faith, they will put their hope in the Lord as the One who upholds their cause (Psalm 146).
    Source: Adapted from WEA Religious Liberty Prayer News, November 15th, 2009
  • Dr. John Fryters of CHAKAM School of the Bible asks for prayer:
    We have been approved by both the Federal and Provincial government, here in Canada, to build and to initially operate a Construction Trade Training Centre for returnees (returning child soldiers) in Southern Sudan. This major undertaking will take place, starting December 1, 2009.
    As we will be flying into Kampala, on our way to The Sudan, we are contemplating to start a Bible College Campus in both Kampala and possibly Busia. We are currently negotiating with a minister, we have known for about 10 years now, in Mukono, Uganda (suburb of Kampala).
    As soon as we know more details, we certainly will keep you informed.
    Always in the Love of Jesus,
    John
    For more information, visit: www.worldoutreach.ca
  • "Dear Beloved in the Vineyard of our Lord Jesus Christ, My name is Brother Augustine. I am age 33, happily married and father of two kids. I am born again. I am a real estate agent by profession, and a resident of Cameroon. Cameroon is in West Africa. I preach the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ in a small church called Full Gospel Mission. We need musical instruments. Presently we clap our hands during praise time. We want God to provide for us. Please pray for provision. Thank God, may God bless us." Reference Number: 90039416
  • Persecution in Colombia. Twenty-eight indigenous Colombian Christians have been imprisoned since October for refusing to denounce their faith. Logan Maurer with International Christian Concern says the central government gave local governors relative autonomy. "They have devolved power to a governor there who has outlawed Christianity. He has said that if anybody there is a Christian, they're going to go to prison." With that announcement, the local governor over the Kogui (ko-gee) called the Christians together on October 27th. "He was holding a meeting to discuss this issue," said Maurer, "and he surprised these Christians by saying, 'You're all under arrest.'" The governor wants them to maintain more of the traditional identity to the tribal region, which includes animism. The group is still being held because they refuse to reconvert. Maurer says they're concerned about what this means for other believers. Pray. "There are more than 100 individuals that consider themselves Christians and would be affected. If this governor continues to imprison men, women and children, as he has done, you could be looking at up to 100 people in prison for their faith."
    Source: Mission Network News, 23 December, 2009. Full story: http://www.mnnonline.org/article/13660
  • Pray for persecuted believers in the Philippines. Believers in the Philippines are constantly assaulted by two forces: natural disaster and human cruelty. Mindanao is the second largest of three island groups in what makes up the Philippines (7,107 islands in all). Located astride a typhoon belt, it is generally affected by 15 cyclones per year and struck directly by five or six more. Landslides from the mountainous areas, volcanoes, earthquakes, and tsunamis are among the other natural disasters threatening these tiny islands all year long.
    But perhaps the most devastating trial for these people is the cruelty imposed on them by barbaric terrorists, bandits, or communist rebels. They kidnap men, women, or children, in order to extort money from the terrorized family.
    On November 9, 2009, a school principal was beheaded when his family failed to meet their demands. These terrorists strike against anyone, at anytime.
    Source: Missions Insider "AFRICA: Starvation for Thanksgiving." Full story: http://www.christianaid.org/Missionaries/MIR/mir20091120.aspx
  • A pastor is in urgent need of a regular insulin supply. Please pray for him and his congregation. Reference Number: 90039869

Support the Pneuma Foundation

The Pneuma Foundation is supported by the generous gifts of its members and friends. If you would be interested learning more about how you can support the Foundation, please visit:

 http://www.pneumafoundation.org/supporting.jsp

Secure online contributions can be made through these reputable organizations:

 - PayPal https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=sendfunds%40pneumafoundation%2eorg

 - JustGive http://www.justgive.org/giving/donate.jsp?charityId=16700
 [If you are giving from somewhere other than N. America or Europe, we recommend using JustGive]

_____

Mention of a ministry or organization in this publication does not mean that the Pneuma Foundation recommends that organization or its resources to you. Mention of an organization or its news or resources is for informational purposes only. Please exercise appropriate wisdom before utilizing resources or otherwise receiving any assistance from an organization mentioned within this publication.