Pneuma Informer July-August 2009

Pneuma Foundation

Jul 31, 2009, 1:42:25 PM7/31/09
to Pneuma-...@googlegroups.com

The July-August 2009 PNEUMA INFORMER

In this issue

What's New at www.PneumaFoundation.org

     http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2009/pi_0708_2009.xml#N65545

    New Online Articles

    New Links and Content Worth Noticing

Reports from Around the World

     http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2009/pi_0708_2009.xml#N65592

     Study reveals Iraqi television viewing habits

     Lebanon: Hezbollah's power wanes

     Uzbekistan: Censorship and enormous fines for religious activity continue

     Egypt: When President Obama addressed Muslim world he called for religious freedom

     Mexico: American Christians let fear halt ministry

     Pakistan: Christian refugees need prayer

     India's vote a resounding shout against extremism

     News and Headlines

     Report the News

One-Sentence Sermons

     http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2009/pi_0708_2009.xml#N65787

Resources You Can Use

     http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2009/pi_0708_2009.xml#N65806

     Find a Bible Translation Quickly

     Sharing a gift with Muslims opens door to share Jesus

     Using Popular Culture

     Church Websites that Reach Outsiders

     Powerful Missions Video

     Online Note and Bibliography Composer

     Free Tract explains Protestants to Eastern Europeans

Excerpts from the PNEUMA REVIEW

     Power Evangelism and the New Testament Evidence

          http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2009/pi_0708_2009.xml#N65918

     Book Review: Leading on Empty

          http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2009/pi_0708_2009.xml#N65934

     Periodical Review: Would the Real Apostles Please Stand Up?

           http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2009/pi_0708_2009.xml#N65950

Upcoming Conferences

     http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2009/pi_0708_2009.xml#N65967

Prayer Requests

     http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2009/pi_0708_2009.xml#N65991

Condolences

     http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pi.jsp?pi=/2009/pi_0708_2009.xml#N66053

Supporting the Pneuma Foundation

     http://www.pneumafoundation.org/supporting.jsp

What's New at www.PneumaFoundation.org

New Online Articles New Links and Content Worth Noticing

Reports from Around the World

Study reveals Iraqi television viewing habits
Violence in Iraq is as effective as a night curfew in keeping people at home. David Harder with SAT-7 says there's a natural audience for television. A recent study of viewing habits had some very interesting results for the ministry. "This survey found 97-percent of people in that country have satellite television, and 5.3 million people out of 28 million Iraqis are watching the broadcasts and receiving the good news of Jesus." SAT-7 is providing desperately-needed support to the struggling Christian community in Iraq. "I spoke with an Iraqi pastor who told me that years ago they had no material to give out to people, so having television was such an important tool for them." Keep praying for the believers in Iraq. "We know that within Iraq, churches are growing. They're also facing tremendous pressures and persecution. We're excited that as a satellite television broadcaster, we can be part of that growth and can be an instrumental tool for local churches to use."
Source: Mission Network News, 25 March, 2009. Full story: http://www.mnnonline.org/article/12468

Lebanon: Hezbollah's power wanes
Hezbollah's challenge for power in Lebanon has failed. The March 14th coalition, a U.S.-backed group, retained its hold on the government. David Harder is with SAT-7, a Christian television satellite ministry to the Middle East and North Africa. He says, "The coalition led by Prime Minister Hariri has a more Western outlook and has been supported by a majority of Christians within the country. That party has been the one that has been more Western looking, and I think most of the Christian community is pleased that this is the way it has gone." Their staff is relieved because of Lebanon's turbulent history. "That there is peace in the country and that the losing side seems to be accepting the results, is really a wonderful thing for that country that's been so divided." As for ministry, Harder urges continued prayer. "That's a very good thing for all of the Christians and certainly for our operations there. It means that Lebanon is remaining peaceful. At least, that's the way it appears at this point."
Source: Mission Network News For 9 June, 2009. Full story: http://www.mnnonline.org/article/12773

Uzbekistan: Censorship and enormous fines for religious activity continue
Uzbekistan continues to impose enormous fines on people exercising their freedom of religion or belief, Forum 18 News Service has learned. In total, 33 people are known to have each been fined up to 100 times the minimum monthly salary in April and May. Fines have been imposed by courts throughout the country, and in some cases appeals against fines have resulted in a reduction. An example was a reduction of fines against six Baptists from 50 times to five times the minimum monthly salary. However in most other cases reductions have not been as significant, for example fine reductions from 80 times to 60, 50 or 40 times the minimum monthly salary. Official hostility continues towards religious literature, in one case literature was ordered to be destroyed after an "expert analysis" from the state Religious Affairs Committee stated that religious books can "only" be used within the confines of the registered religious communities. "Believers are deprived of their right to hold any Christian literature in their homes," Baptists complained to Forum 18. No state officials were willing to discuss the cases.
To read the full story: http://www.forum18.org/Archive.php?article_id=1307
Source: F18News Summary: "Belarus; Kazakhstan; Moldova; Tajikistan; Uzbekistan", 8 June 2009

Egypt: When President Obama addressed Muslim world he called for religious freedom
On June 4, following up on one of his campaign promises, U.S. President Barack Obama addressed the Muslim World from Cairo, Egypt. Several days prior to this speech, Open Doors USA President and CEO Carl Moeller challenged Obama to address the issue of religious freedom for all in the Middle East. Obama did mention the issue, urging Muslims to accept all religions in their "tradition of tolerance." Pray that this will take place.
To learn more, including a transcript of the speech, visit: http://www.mnnonline.org/article/12758
Source: Mission Network News, 5 June, 2009.

Mexico: American Christians let fear halt ministry
Youth for Christ canceled half of their summer missions trips to Mexico, losing at least 300 opportunities to share the Gospel. Why? Media reports on the swine flu and drug-related violence scared Christians away from Mexico. YFC's David Schultz says the church needs to re-evaluate the way it makes decisions. "All the hoopla and the media reports over the last three or four months have revealed that since there's nothing being talked about now, it was a situation in which the violence and the swine flu was blown out of proportion." The trip cancellations impacted relationships with Mexican Christians.
"Our folks in Mexico live with whatever problems they have down there, and they don't understand the fact that the American church can make a spontaneous decision based on one or two news reports that they hear, and not trust our indigenous hosts when they say it is safe."
Source: Mission Network News, 11 June, 2009. Full story: http://www.mnnonline.org/article/12787

Pakistan: Christian refugees need prayer
Pakistan's conflict with the Taliban has displaced almost one and a half million people. Some of these people are Christians, and Todd Nettleton with Voice of the Martyrs says they are especially vulnerable. "They become sort of lost in the shuffle: we have even heard reports that while the government is helping to relocate Muslim citizens out of these areas where the Taliban is taking over, they're not giving that same assistance to Christians." Voice of the Martyrs is working to help the Christian refugees. Difficult circumstances may give them opportunities to share the Gospel. "This is really a time of great upheaval in Pakistan, and that can be and often is a time of revival as well. There's so much going on, and people are threatened; they are open to the Gospel, they're open to the good news of Christ's love." Ask God to give the Christian refugees protection and courage.
Source: Mission Network News, 22 May, 2009. Full story: http://www.mnnonline.org/article/12695

India's vote a resounding shout against extremism
India's election results indicate a vote against religious-based extremism. The United Progressive Alliance, a secular coalition led by the Congress party, swept the elections. Dave Stravers with Grand Rapids, Michigan-based Mission India calls it an answer to prayer. "There really is a spiritual battle going on for the soul of the country." Stravers notes that the animosity believers endure has continued. "There was another attack against a relief camp. Christians who were forced into relief camps have been living in these horrible conditions for six months. Now they're being attacked in the camps." A major question hangs in the air: will there be more tolerance for believers? "Be praying for peace. Be praying for authorities who are willing to protect the rights of minority Christians as well as Muslims and others who are attacked by Hindus." Stravers says their ministry is seeing fruit. "We don't even understand why there are so many new churches being planted and new believers coming by the millions into the church. We think that the Lord is moving in a remarkable way."
Source: Mission Network News, 20 May, 2009. Full story: http://www.mnnonline.org/article/12680

News and Headlines
Visit links.jsp for Current News and Links

See other news to pray and praise God about in the Prayer Requests department below.

Report the News
We are looking for stories about what God is doing in the world, reports about the persecution of Christians, and information about significant trends and ministry opportunities. If you have a news item to report, please send an email to the PNEUMA INFORMER. http://www.pneumafoundation.org/contactus.jsp

One-Sentence Sermons

Compiled by Charles Carrin

Over the years I have collected bits of wisdom from different sources. I share a few of them with you. When known, authors are named. From the June 22, 2009 newsletter, "Things Most Surely Believed Among Us"

"There are none so enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"When people regard a portion of the truth as if it were the whole truth it becomes more dangerous than an untruth." Jack Taylor

"Most preachers would make good martyrs; they are so dry they would burn well." Charles Spurgeon

"Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin." Grace Hansen

"The danger is not that God has set the 'bar too high' and that we will miss it–the danger is that we have set the bar too low and will make it."

"A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him first to find her." Maya Angelou

"The church must feed people the food–not merely show them the menu."

"We make a living by what we get; We make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

"Patience is the weapon that forces deception to expose itself."

"Americans will die on their feet before they will live on their knees." George Washington

"The task ahead of you is never as great as the Power behind you."

"People like us who believe in physics know that the distinction between past, present, and future, is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." Albert Einstein

"Pray that people will meet Christ before they meet the church."

Bumper Sticker: "I love Jesus–I just don't like some of His Fan Clubs."

"Sanctification is an impartation–not an imitation." Oswald Chambers

"Find out what you are following–compare it to Christ–you will find your's to be inferior." Perry Comas

"Do not lower God's word to the level of your experience." Randy Clark

"The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth."

"We better find out what God is doing today less we be found arranging chairs on the deck of the Titanic tomorrow."

"The Bible is a verb; not a noun." Rick Cross

"It takes a steady hand to hold a full cup."

"The Bible was not given to replace direct revelation or the miraculous but to correct abuses." Martyn-Lloyd Jones

"Demons are like rats at the garbage dump. Unless you get rid of the garbage they will be back."

"One who judges others proclaims himself to be God."

"Burnout is operating outside your anointing; it is a breakdown–not a breakthrough." Tod Zeiger

"Success is never permanent; failure is never final."

"When the tide comes in all the ships in the harbor rise with it."

"Jesus is 'Lord over the Church'; The Holy Spirit is 'Lord in the Church'." Derek Prince

"Follow the cloud–or follow the crowd." James Robinson

"'Tradition' is the living faith of a dead past; 'Traditionalism' is the dead faith of a living past." Jack Taylor

"The one who kneels before God can stand before anyone."

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin

"Life is too short to be too little." Benjamin Disraeli

"Truth is in the Scripture; Power is in the truth." C. Carrin

"Private victories precede public victories." Stephen Covey

"Appeasement is like feeding the alligators–hoping they will eat you last." Sir Winston Churchill

__________

Charles Carrin has served the body of Christ for over 50 years. Today his ministry centers upon the visible demonstration of the Spirit and imparting of His gifts. Read his biography at www.charlescarrinministries.com/biography.html.

Source: Gentle Conquest June 2009. Used with permission. www.CharlesCarrinMinistries.com

Resources You Can Use

Find a Bible Translation Quickly
The Forum of Bible Agencies International recently announced the launch of Find A Bible, an innovative and interactive website that gives easy access to Scriptures in more than 3,000 languages. According to the release, the Find A Bible site www.findabible.net provides the most comprehensive and current database of Bibles and portions in majority and minority languages available. "Through Find A Bible," it explains, "users now have a single place to search, download, view, or listen to these Bibles through links to Forum member agency websites." The Forum of Bible Agencies International is an alliance of more than 25 leading international Bible Agencies and other missions organizations with a shared vision: "working together to maximize the worldwide access and impact of God's Word." For a list of Forum members, point your browser to www.forum-intl.net
Source: Brigada Today 2009/05/24

Sharing a gift with Muslims opens door to share Jesus
Fouad Masri with Crescent Project says millions of Muslims in North America need to know about the hope of Christ. Many Christians are unsure of how to converse with Muslims and are intimidated by the unknown. However, Masri says, "The way to do it is to do it the Jesus way: one person to reach one person. Our goal, as a ministry, is to help local believers and local churches reach out in love to their Muslim neighbors and give them a gift." It's easier than you might think. "Many Muslims in America are pious, and they are open to talk about Jesus because they hear about him. But they don't know much about him." The Outreach Packets are a gift that moves conversation about Christ in the right direction. "It's a packet of material that includes a movie on the life of Christ. It includes a booklet on why Christ died for our sins called Adha in the Injeel. It also includes a book which explains why the New Testament has not been corrupted, along with a card explaining how to receive a free New Testament; individuals can go to our Web site and get one for free." http://www.crescentproject.org
Source: Mission Network News, 22 May, 2009. Full story: http://www.mnnonline.org/article/12704

Using Popular Culture
Suppose God sent you a letter. And in it, He offered you a gift - a simple evangelistic approach similar to the parables that Jesus used. Something that would engage with people's interests, and employ a common language and experience. Would you want to use it?
Internet Evangelism Day is convinced that this is exactly God's heart, and that He does indeed offer us a resource which is grossly under-used for ministry: contemporary culture - the world of film, TV, music, theater and books. www.internetevangelismday.com/popular-culture.php

Church Websites that Reach Outsiders
In the last year, over 500 churches have used Internet Evangelism Day's church website self-assessment tool and received the free evaluation report that this provides. Each report provides a comprehensive list of suggestions for action that will enable a church's website to better engage with outsiders in their community. www.internetevangelismday.com/church-site-design.php

Powerful Missions Video
"This morning I spoke in a church in northeastern Ohio. I used the missions video, 'A Thousand Questions.' Whoa. It had a huge impact on this church of 220. After the video, you could have heard a pin drop... except for some lingering tears people were choking back... Someone was sobbing over at the side. I prayed, then asked if anyone had anything to share after watching the video. There was great feedback: 'Overwhelmed,' 'Challenged,' 'Sobered,' ... the feedback went on. One long-time member testified that he was at first critical of the church's investment in missions. Now he had concluded it was the smartest thing they ever did. Highly recommended."
Watch it on Youtube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiNBmNl88Pk
Then if you like it, download either a Flash or a Quicktime copy at: https://www.willowcreek.com/events/leadership/2009/summitsunday.asp
Source: Brigada Today 2009/05/17

Online Note and Bibliography Composer
NoodleBib claims to be "The Web's most comprehensive and accurate MLA, APA, and Chicago/Turabian bibliography composer with fully-integrated note-taking."
Try NoodleBib Express without logging in: http://www.noodletools.com/noodlebib/express.php
http://www.noodletools.com
Special thanks to Steve H. for suggesting this resource.

Free Tract explains Protestants to Eastern Europeans
The tract "Protestants: Who are they?" is available as a free download in Russian, English, Ukrainian, Georgian, Romanian, Macedonian or Bulgarian at the site: http://web.me.com/kerbyrials1/Booklets/Free_booklets.html
The non-denominational tract explains what evangelical Protestants believe, since they are often confused with non-Christian cults in Eastern Europe, or are accused of having departed from true Christianity (e.g. Eastern Orthodoxy or Catholicism). Versions are in both PDF and Word formats allowing you to modify the tract to meet your needs.
The site also makes other adaptable tracts available, written by a missionary from a classical Pentecostal perspective.
Source: Brigada Today 2009/05/24

Excerpts from the PNEUMA REVIEW

For a full index of the contents of all Pneuma Review issues, visit: http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pr_archive.jsp.

Power Evangelism and the New Testament Evidence

From the Summer 2009 issue

Part 1 of 2. By Gary S. Greig and Kevin N. Springer

The claim is made by some evangelicals that "the New Testament does not teach that evangelism is to be done by cultivating miracles"[1] and that "we are never told that they are God's means for converting unbelievers or that we should seek to perform them."[2]

But such statements seem to completely contradict all the New Testament evidence. Countless New Testament scholars have noted over the last century (see references below) that power evangelism is the normative form of evangelism seen in the New Testament. The New Testament evidence shows, these scholars point out, that miraculous healing, signs, wonders, and manifestations of miraculous spiritual gifts regularly accompanied preaching as the standard form of evangelism practiced by our Lord and by the apostles and Early Church laity (Stephen, Philip, Ananias, the Corinthians, Galatians, Jewish Christian churches, etc.): Mat. 4:23; 9:35-36; 10:1, 7-8; 11:5; 12:15, 18; 15:30; 19:2 (cf. Mk. 10:1); 21:14 (cf. Lk. 21:37); Mk. 1: 38-39; 2:2, 11; 3:14-15; 6:12-13; 10:1 (cf. Mat. 19:2); Lk. 4:18; 5:17, 24; 6:6-11, 17-18; 7:22; 9:1-2; 10:9, 13; 13:10-13, 22, 32; 14:4, 7ff.; 21:37 (cf. Mat. 21:14); 16:15-18, 20; Jn. 3:2; 7:14-15, 21-23, 31, 38; 10:25, 32, 38; 12:37, 49; 14:10, 12; Acts 1:1; 2:22; 3:6, 12; 4:29-30; 5:12-16, 20-21, 28, 42; 6:8, 10; 8:4-7, 12; 9:17-18 (cf. 22:13), 34-35; 10:38; 14:3, 8-10, 15ff.; 15:12, 36; 18:5, 11 (cf. II Cor. 12:12; I Cor. 2:4-5); 19:8-12; Rom. 15:18-19; I Cor. 2:4-5; 11:1; 12:1-11, 28-31; 14:22-25; II Cor. 12:12; Gal. 3:5; Phil. 4:9; I Thes. 1:5-6; Heb. 2:3-4; 6:1-2; Jas. 5:13-16.

Such biblical evidence has been cited and laid out at length already by Wimber and Springer in their seminal works on power evangelism and healing ministry.[3] But critics of power evangelism seem largely to ignore the evidence.

The Biblical Evidence

The following passages, selected from the list of passages cited above, illustrate how the power of Christ demonstrated through healing and gift-based ministry is, according to Scripture, an integral part of the proclamation of the gospel and a manifestation of the power of Christ and His Cross to save sinners. When Jesus preached "The Kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news" (Mk 1:14-15; Mat. 4:17; Lk. 4:14-15), His preaching was inseparably linked to His healing sickness and driving out demons. The same is also true of the apostles and the Early Church:

Mat. 4:23 - "Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people."

Mk. 1:39 - "So he traveled throughout Galilee, preaching in their synagogues and driving out demons."

Lk. 4:40-43 - "The people brought to Jesus all who had various kinds of sickness, and laying hands on each one, he healed them. Moreover, demons came out of many people... . They tried to keep him from leaving them. But he said, 'I must preach the good news of the kingdom of God to other towns also, because that is why I was sent."

Lk. 5:15 - "Crowds of people came to hear him and to be healed of their sicknesses."

Lk. 5:17 (Mat. 9:1ff.; Mk. 2:1ff.) - "He was teaching... . And the power of the Lord was present for him to heal the sick."

Mat. 9:6-8 (Mk. 2:10-12; Lk. 5:24-26) - "'But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins... .' Then he said to the paralytic, 'Get up, take your mat and go home.' And the man got up and went home. When the crowd saw this, they were filled with awe; and they praised God, who had given such authority to men."

Lk. 6:17-18 - "A great number of people ... who had come to hear him and to be healed of their diseases."

Mat. 9:35 - "Jesus went through all the towns and villages teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness."

Lk. 9:1-2 - "When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases, and he sent them out to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick."

Mat. 10:1, 7-8 - "He called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out evil spirits and to heal every disease and sickness. ... As you go, preach this message: 'The kingdom of heaven is near.' Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give."

Mat. 13:54 - "Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?"

Lk. 9:6 - "So they set out and went from village to village, preaching the gospel and healing people everywhere."

Mk. 6:7, 12 - "Calling the Twelve to him, he sent them out two by two and gave them authority over evil spirits. ... They went out and preached that people should repent. They drove out many demons and anointed many sick people with oil and healed them."

Jn. 7:17-23 - "If anyone chooses to do God's will he will find out whether my teaching comes from God... . Why are you angry with me for healing the whole man on the Sabbath?"

Lk. 10:9 - Jesus says to 70 of His followers, obviously including many more than the twelve apostles: "Heal the sick who are there. Tell them, 'The kingdom of God is near you."

Lk. 13:22, 32 - "Jesus went through the towns and villages, teaching... . 'I will drive out demons and heal people today and tomorrow, and on the third day I will reach my goal.'"

Mat. 21:14 - "The blind and lame came to him at the temple, and he healed them"; and Lk. 21:37 - "Each day Jesus was teaching at the temple."

Acts 3:6-8 - Peter heals the crippled beggar, and in 3:11-26, he preaches the gospel to the crowd.

Acts 4:2, 10 - "The apostles were teaching the people and proclaiming in Jesus the resurrection of the dead... . 'It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth whom you crucified and whom God raised from the dead that this man stands before you healed."

Acts 4:29-30 - "Now, Lord, consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness. Stretch out your hand to heal and perform miraculous signs and wonders through the name of your holy servant Jesus."

Acts 4:33 - "With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and much grace was upon them all."

Acts 5:12, 15-16, 20-21 - The apostles performed many miraculous signs and wonders among the people. And all the believers used to meet together in Solomon's Colonnade... . People brought the sick into the streets and laid them on beds and mats so that at least Peter's shadow might fall on some of them as he passed by. Crowds gathered also from the towns around Jerusalem, bringing their sick and those tormented by evil spirits and all of them were healed... . 'Go, stand in the temple courts," he [the angel of the Lord] said, "and tell the people the full message of this new life. At daybreak they entered the temple courts, as they had been told, and began to teach the people."

Act 6:8-10 - "Now Stephen, a man full of God's grace and power, did great wonders and miraculous signs among the people... . These men began to argue with Stephen, but they could not stand up against his wisdom or the Spirit by whom he spoke."

Acts 8:4-7, 12-13 - "Those who had been scattered preached the word wherever they went. Philip went down to a city in Samaria and proclaimed the Christ there. When the crowds heard Philip and saw the miraculous signs he did, they all paid close attention to what he said. With shrieks, evil spirits came out of many, and many paralytics and cripples were healed ... . But when they believed Philip as he preached the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. Simon himself believed and was baptized. And he followed Philip everywhere, astonished by the great signs and miracles."

Acts 14:3 - "So Paul and Barnabas spent considerable time there, speaking boldly for the Lord, who confirmed the message of his grace by enabling them to do miraculous signs and wonders ."

Acts 14:7-10 - "They continued to preach the good news. In Lystra there sat a man crippled in his feet, who was lame from birth and had never walked. He listened to Paul as he was speaking. Paul looked directly at him saw that he had faith to be healed and called out, 'Stand up on your feet!' At that, the man jumped up and began to walk."

Acts 18:1, 5 - "After this Paul left Athens and went to Corinth... . When Silas and Timothy came from Macedonia, Paul devoted himself exclusively to preaching, testifying to the Jews that Jesus was the Christ" and II Cor. 12:12 - Paul speaks to the Corinthians characterizing his ministry in Corinth as follows: "The things that mark an apostle - signs, wonders and miracles - were done among you with great perseverance."

Acts 19: 8, 9, 11-12 - "Paul entered the synagogue and spoke boldly there for three months, arguing persuasively about the kingdom of God... . He took the disciples with him and had discussions daily in the lecture hall of Tyrannus... . God did extraordinary miracles through Paul, so that even handkerchiefs and aprons that had touched him were taken to the sick, and their illnesses were cured and evil spirits left them."

Rom. 15:18-20 - "I will not venture to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me in leading the Gentiles to obey God by what I have said and done - by the power of signs and wonders, through the power of the Spirit. So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ. It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ was not known, so that I would not be building on someone else's foundation."

I Cor. 1:6-7 - "Our testimony about Christ was confirmed in you. Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift, as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed.

I Cor. 2:4-5 - "My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power."

II Cor. 12:12 (RSV) - "The signs of a true apostle were performed among you in all patience, with signs and wonders and mighty works."

Gal. 3:5 - "Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard?"

I Thes. 1:5 - "Our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction."

Heb. 2:3-4 - "This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him. God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will."

I Pet. 4:10-11 - "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen."

The New Testament evidence is quite clear, then, that preaching and healing were the standard form of evangelism practiced by Jesus, the apostles, and the Early Church. And New Testament scholars around the world have recognized this fact about the evidence.

. . .

__________

Footnotes appear in the printed version of this article excerpt.
This chapter is from Gary S. Greig and Kevin N. Springer, eds., The Kingdom and the Power: Are Healing and the Spiritual Gifts Used by Jesus and the Early Church Meant for the Church Today? A Biblical Look at How to Bring the Gospel to the World with Power (Ventura, CA: Regal Books, 1993). Used with permission.
Some Scripture quotations are direct translations by the authors and contributors. Scripture quotations, unless otherwise indicated, are from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION (Copyright 1973, 1978, 1984 International Bible Society, used by permission of Zondervan Bible Publishers). All italicized words and phrases in Scripture quotations are added by the authors for emphasis and clarification.

Read the rest of this article and many other articles in the Summer 2009 issue of THE PNEUMA REVIEW www.pneumafoundation.org/intro_pr.jsp

Book Review: Leading on Empty

From the Summer 2009 issue

Wayne Cordeiro, Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion (Minneapolis; Bethany House, 2009), 213 pages, ISBN 978-0764203503.

I know this author well. He is my pastor, and I love him. I am 22 years his senior and have been on his pastoral staff since 1995, longer than any other pastor still serving at New Hope Christian Fellowship in Hawaii. New Hope is the largest church in Hawaii with a weekend attendance exceeding 10,000.

When we first started the church in 1995, Wayne taught (and still does) a course on doing ministry at 5:30 on Tuesday morning. Early starts tend to separate the serious student from those less inclined. I took the course three or four times, and learned several things about Wayne: the first was that my Bible came alive as he taught. I saw wonderful things that I had never seen and my Bible's pages were aglow while class was in session; the second was that Wayne was an unusually disciplined man who started early every day and on every task. I envied his discipline and drive. I still do.

When Wayne started this church, I was his backup speaker, and had a sermon all ready to go should he not be able to preach on any Sunday. I was never needed. He never missed a service. The number of our 90 minute Sunday services rapidly grew to five each weekend - two on Saturday evening and three on Sunday morning. Wayne's ability to communicate led to invitations to speak beyond our church and he traveled far and wide to satisfy the demands that came his way. He began to write to meet the demands he faced.

I have read all or most of Wayne's earlier books, and I have listened to him in person, on the radio and television countless times. I probably write 50 articles a year for newspapers and magazines, and the lead thought for most of these comes from something Wayne says on a Sunday morning.

A few years ago, Wayne ended up against the wall. His energy level was zero, and the demands he faced were overwhelming. I knew it was coming, and tried any number of times to suggest or hint at ways to diminish the draining I knew he had to be facing. But like so many of us in our late 40s and early 50s, we can do it all and better than anyone else. I know I felt that way, and I ended up with a stroke at 58, a heart attack at 61 and a triple by-pass at 67.

Leading on Empty is Wayne's story of how his tank ran dry, and what he did to renew his passion for the Lord and life. Its content is excellent, he writes well, transparently and his principles are applicable to professions and careers beyond the ministry.

Wayne sought professional help and learned many things we really all know but so often ignore. He learned that solitude and silence are where you refine your soul, where you learn the difference between a concern and a responsibility. We must learn to take our concerns to Jesus, and invest our emotions and energies in our responsibilities.

We must settle that for which we are accountable if we are to be significant to others and to ourselves. We need to define what comprises the five percent of our life which only we can do, and then to do those tasks well since the condition of that five percent will determine the validity of the other 95 percent of our effort.

Wayne teaches us to list six items that comprise that five percent, and notes your choices will shape your soul before God. If you or I could do life or a portion over again, what would we do differently? And then, what will we do so that the next 10 years brings us a sense of fulfillment and not emptiness?

Toward the middle of the book, Wayne writes that "Faith is living in advance what we will only understand in reverse". I stopped to think about this sentence - the highlight of the book to me.

I found myself thinking about my calling. What did God call me to in the beginning? How about you? Have you answered that call? Will you and how should you? How do you? What can I, might I, and should I do at my point in life?

Wayne concludes by presenting four courses we face in life and the challenge to choose the best one: "A Life of Reaction;" "A Life of Conformity;" "A Life of Independence" and "A Life of Intentionality." He stresses that there are some things on which we should never give up.

He ends with recommending that we plan sabbaticals and Sabbaths as part of our lives. If we really trust God as our provision, we can spend some time with Him, to learn to take the time to do things that we love the most, to sleep when we should sleep, to stop trying to correct those things which are not our concern, and to trust Him.

I am the old man on Wayne's staff, and I love him because I learn so much from him. I learn all the time. I miss him when he is off somewhere and not in my pulpit. His book is a gem, a resource that - if lived out - will add to your joy, your value and longevity. Taste and see.

Reviewed by H. Murray Hohns

__________

H. Murray Hohns is a retired civil engineer and technical writer. He is an ordained Foursquare minister, an instructor at Pacific Rim Bible College in Hawaii, serves on his denomination's national financial council, and is a regular contributor to THE PNEUMA REVIEW and PNEUMA INFORMER.

Read more reviews and other articles in the Summer 2009 issue of THE PNEUMA REVIEW www.pneumafoundation.org/intro_pr.jsp

Periodical Review: Would the Real Apostles Please Stand Up?

From the Summer 2009 issue

Stephen W. Hill, "Would the Real Apostles Please Stand Up?: The truth about apostles, authority and the kingdom of God" Ministry Today (Jan 2009), p. 68-72.

This rather brief article is an attempt by Stephen Hill to question the pre-eminence given to apostles in churches today. Hill begins this task by recalling for the reader a story of, what he views as dishonorable, introductory comments of a leading apostle standing as the main speaker at a recent apostolic conference. He uses this as a platform to question the contemporary understanding not only of the role of the 'Apostle' but also the role of all church leaders. What proceeds is a passionate argument whereby Hill insists that the abuse of apostolic authority is an issue that is at the center of a widespread misunderstanding of true leadership in God's kingdom. The argument concludes with a proposal of a solution to this problem to be found by adopting a church structure of 'functional ministry' whereby there is no hierarchical leadership in place but instead each believer takes on the mutual responsibility of serving 'one another'. This review will present the strengths and weaknesses of the key elements of Hill's reasoning and briefly suggest how such elements could open further areas for discussion regarding church leadership.

An obvious strength of Hill's argument is his willingness to address problematic areas of ethical leadership - an issue that seems to be of growing concern in the church today. Arguing for a re-ordering of the understanding of true leadership within God's kingdom, Hill asserts that leadership authority should be given by invitation. Likewise, leadership should always be exercised by example in order to ensure that leaders sustain a heart of servanthood. Hill states his reason for this model is that God always desires obedience through "free conviction rather than any form of coercion" (p.69).

However, instead of developing his ideas regarding ethical leadership within the church, Hill quickly divides his focus between discussing how leaders are meant to lead and what a leader should be in the first place. Evidence for this distraction can be seen from the outset in the tone of his writing. Also, while Hill's criticisms of an unnamed apostle and an unnamed apostolic body seem to implicate 'apostles' in general, we would do well to remind ourselves that this correlation is not necessarily the case.

In equating the concepts of apostleship and kingship, Hill makes the mistake of using one aspect of inappropriate leadership as justification for questioning the position of apostles, and all leaders in general, and their overall place in God's kingdom. The resulting anachronistic 'mixing' of the terms and definitions for kingship and apostleship (it is not immediately obvious how these terms relate to each other to form a leadership model) leaves the reader searching for their relevance to the practicality of church leadership. Hill argues that apostleship should not be based on an Old Testament model of kingship because true theocracy is based on the authority of the priest and prophet. In other words, kingly authority is essentially a "benevolent dictatorship" that controls by coercion and oppression whereas the authority of the prophetic and priestly office is supposedly inspired by the Spirit of God. But this does not entirely agree with biblical evidence. In the Old Testament, priests had the responsibility of teaching God's law (Lev 10:11, Mal 2:6-7), yet in the book of Hosea we find a situation where the more the priests increased, the more sin increased among the community. As a result, God blamed the priests for the people's lack of faithfulness (Hosea 4:7). Likewise, even though kingship is an example of an ungodly use of leadership authority (as argued by Hill) we find that David's main purpose as Israel's king was to shepherd God's people (Psalms 78:70-72). If the importance of this notion of kingship in the establishment of God's Kingdom was ever in doubt, one may find that the Davidic covenant (established in 2 Samuel 7) is of utmost importance in the prophetic foretelling of the coming of the Messiah as the ultimate fulfillment of a King who will be the ultimate Shepherd over His people. Furthermore, while Hill seems to disproportionately favor a New Testament perspective over an Old Testament one in determining the proper characteristics of godly leadership (p.71-72), he would do well to note that a number of dishonorable characteristics can be found among the leadership of the early church, which proves His argument to be inconsistent (Acts 15:36-41; Galatians 2:11-14; 2 Timothy 4:10, 16; Philemon 1:14, 17-21). Hill's logic, therefore, is scripturally imbalanced.

A vital conclusion that one has to draw from this is that there is no such thing as a perfect leader, regardless of their title. Yet while this highlights the need for each believer to be responsible for their own issues of personal discipline and holiness (p.70-71), it does not automatically follow that the role of leadership within the church is unnecessary, as is the strong implication of Hill's argument.

Despite the fragility of Hill's logic, any worthwhile interaction with the content of his article should acknowledge his main concerns about the ethical use of authority in leadership and encourage the need to understand the theological, social and practical roots of problems within this area. Hill calls for a re-evaluation of the Christian ideals that govern how a leadership position is supposed to benefit the wider community. His proposed solution is for the hierarchical order within churches to be replaced with a more congregational style of functional ministry, whereby everyone has the same level of authority with the same level of responsibility toward one another (p.70-71). This, supposedly, would guard against any temptation to misuse one's position by asserting it over another.

Yet it is possible that the heart of this problem is not found within the mechanics of a 'leadership position' but rather concerns the concept of 'power' and how it is used.[1] Hill's proposition for purging the church of leadership structures that are predisposed, or at least vulnerable, to the misuse of authority is self-deceiving because it assumes that abusive power structures will cease to exist in a leadership vacuum. However, problems involving a misuse of power are just as prominent within churches that operate with a model of 'functional ministry'. They may not result from an authoritarian leadership structure, but would nonetheless exhibit other factors distinct to their specific context. Therefore, it is not viable to claim that the problem of a manipulation of power within churches would be solved if leadership structures were disposed of altogether. Rather, what is needed is an open and explicit recognition among church leaders of the dangers regarding the use of power, irrespective of the authority structure in place within the local church, be it congregational or hierarchical.

Having said that, the motivation behind Hill's article is to create awareness for the reader that there must be an emphasis placed upon ethical responsibility within church leadership. To what extent does the role of a leader need to be redefined? How can the church come to appreciate the essence of leadership as service? How can the church guard against abusive authority? These questions should be on the minds of all church leaders who take seriously the privilege and responsibility of shepherding God's people. These questions would be a worthwhile starting point for further discussion on this topic as it generates many implications for leadership practice - implications that Hill introduces but does not address in any detail. These might include, for example, the position and honor given to apostles in terms of the purpose and use of tithing for the financial support of apostolic leaders in contrast to other needs within every church congregation (Acts 4:32-37; 1 Corinthians 16:1-4).

Hill's article represents an effort to address an increasingly prominent and controversial issue for churches in the 21st century. While one may question the methodology chosen for this task, it has to be said that Hill is correct when he urgently calls for church authority to become more ethical and for leadership to become more like servanthood.

Reviewed by Trevor W. Martindale

At the time of writing, Hill's full article is available to be viewed online at: http://bluetoad.com/publication/?i=9061
For further reading, more of Stephen Hill's writings appear online at: http://www.harvest-now.org

Notes
[1] Stephen Sykes argues that it is not credible to attempt to dissociate the Christian faith from the phenomena of power. This is because history has always been impacted by a world of overlapping and intersecting influences of power. Hence, the church itself is not immune to the dangers of adopting abusive practices of power that damage its proclamation of the good news equally as much as it cannot be reticent of proclaiming a God of power and might, whose authority is exercised over all of creation. See Stephen Sykes, Power and Christian Theology (London/New York: Continuum, 2006).

__________

Trevor W. Martindale has been involved in supporting church-planting ministries in South Africa, where he grew up, and in England and in Scotland, where he now lives. Currently, he is completing a Bachelor of Arts, Honors degree in Theology at the International Christian College in Glasgow, Scotland.

Read more reviews and other articles in the Summer 2009 issue of THE PNEUMA REVIEW www.pneumafoundation.org/intro_pr.jsp

Upcoming Conferences

Asian Pentecostal Society Conference
Where: Bible College of Malaysia in Kuala Lumpur
When: Sept 4th & 5th 2009
Theme: "Spiritual Warfare: Revisited." This topic will be approached from various Asian contexts or those perspectives which address Pentecostal practice in Asia.
More information: http://www.asianpentecostal.org

The Great Commission and the Non-Christian Religions: A Renewal Approach to Missions in a World of Many Faiths
Where: Regent University School of Divinity in Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
When: February 27, 2010
With the growth of Christian faith around the world as well as a resurgence of Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism in various regions, some observers have predicted a coming "clash of cultures" or "clash of civilizations." Certainly, if the fundamentalist elements of each of these traditions were in charge, that might well be the case.
However, what if the Holy Spirit were to lead and Christians were to follow in their encounter with other faiths? Or what if at the vanguard of the global Christianity were pentecostal, charismatic and renewal movements with Spirit-filled people engaged in fulfilling the mission of the church? Would that make any difference, and if so, what difference would that make for the encounter between Christianity and the world religions in the twenty-first century?
More Information: http://www.regent.edu/acad/schdiv/newsandevents/world-religions-great-commission/home.shtml

Prayer Requests

  • While North Korea launches missiles, Christians launch prayer campaign. As missiles fly over North Korea, Christians are praying for their beleaguered nation. Spokesman for Open Doors USA Jerry Dykstra says even though North Korea is focused on the international community, Christians face even more danger. The spread of Christianity is one of the greatest fears of North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il. "He feels that the fall of Eastern Europe, the fall of communism, was caused by Christians, and he feels this could also happen in North Korea. That's why there's an increase in surveillance of house churches and Christians." Despite the threats, North Korean church leaders have started a prayer campaign. "They're praying they can evangelize inside North Korea. And they really feel something is going to happen in North Korea. It maybe the fall of the current regime, and they have to be ready." Some believe the North Korean society is unstable, and now is the time for Christians to pray. They're asking you to stand with them in prayer.
    Source: Mission Network News. Full story: http://www.mnnonline.org/article/12719
  • Pneuma Foundation Financial Need. Please join the volunteer staff of the Pneuma Foundation in praying about a recent financial shortfall. A unexpected expense has taken monies budgeted for regular operations and this needs to be resolved quickly. We thank God for our members and friends that stand with us.
  • Nepal: Church bombed. In Nepal, many are celebrating the first anniversary of the abolition of the monarchy. However, religious freedom in the new democracy is far off for the 400 Christians who suffered a bomb explosion in their church the last week in May. According to Voice of the Martyrs Canada, two were killed. Later, a pamphlet was found in the church from the National Defense Army--a terrorist group who wants Hinduism restored as the state religion. Pray that the new leaders will protect Christians.
    Source: Mission Network News, June 1, 2009. Full story: http://www.mnnonline.org/article/12736
  • Pastor David writes: "Calvary greetings to you. We are fine in Uganda and we had a wonderful service today. People gathered as never before, there was much joy in praise and worship. Only we don't have a keyboard as the one we had was burnt in our last mission in Juba, southern Sudan. We need more prayers for the provision of the keyboard. We love you and your ministry of prayer." Reference Number: 90036971
  • "My name is Michael W. I am 29 and I am a Kenyan. I have just finished my Master of Theology from Daystar University. I come from a poor background and I have only come this far by the grace of God. I really want to do a PhD in cross cultural studies or theology but I am unable to pay the fees. Please pray with me that God will help me get to the right Seminary and the funds required. I really want to study so that I can come back and help my people. They are in darkness. I also feel the urge to serve God better.
    "I am also currently doing ministry among the youth here in East Africa. God has called me to help develop youth leaders for effective youth ministry. East Africa and particularly Kenya has faced a lot of violence and other human evils. All these things are done through the youth. If the youth and their leaders would be told the principals of Christian leadership, these countries would change. Bearing this in mind, I have decided to hold youth leader seminars, conferences and short courses on leadership to help develop their leadership skills and to curb crime. Please pray with me for wisdom and the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Pray also for me and the organization I founded as we seek for partners and financial supporters towards this worthwhile undertaking."
  • "Greetings from Radio Light, Istanbul Turkey! Would you pray for our radio ministry - which received the year 2009 NRB (National Religious Broadcasters) International Radio Ministry Award - so that we would have the spiritual, financial and technical support to be able to continue our service in the future? We would be very glad. We need the Lord's support and yours as well." www.radiolight.net (site is available in English and Turkish).

Condolences

  • The volunteer staff extends our deepest condolences to the Mike Knowles family at the passing of his wife, Kelly (35), on June 17, from complications that arose during a 41-day battle with Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome.

Support the Pneuma Foundation

The Pneuma Foundation is supported by the generous gifts of its members and friends. If you would be interested learning more about how you can support the Foundation, please visit:

 http://www.pneumafoundation.org/supporting.jsp

Secure online contributions can be made through these reputable organizations:

 - PayPal https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=sendfunds%40pneumafoundation%2eorg

 - JustGive http://www.justgive.org/giving/donate.jsp?charityId=16700
 [If you are giving from somewhere other than N. America or Europe, we recommend using JustGive]

Mention of a ministry or organization in this publication does not mean that the Pneuma Foundation recommends that organization or its resources to you. Mention of an organization or its news or resources is for informational purposes only. Please exercise appropriate wisdom before utilizing resources or otherwise receiving any assistance from an organization mentioned within this publication.