[pmwiki-users] Hi! and Help!

Jasyn Jones

Mar 5, 2012, 7:52:52 PM3/5/12
to pmwiki...@pmichaud.com
Hi everybody! New PmWiki user. Just set up the install today:

http://stormknights.jasyn.org/wiki/

I have some configuration questions I'm trying to answer. I went through the help files online, and tried to set my /local/config.php and Site.SiteFooter and Main.GroupFooter to the correct configuration, but it isn't working.

So, I thought I'd describe my desired setup, and then anyone who can offer advice could pitch in.

Desires:

1.) Central content added/editable only by myself.

2.) "Comments" links in every page, save those in the Main Group, that go to a page where people can leave comments. Link from that page, back to the original. (Both links implemented in the Footer of the pages.)

3.) Forms on the "Comments" page (implemented via Fox Comment Box?) to allow users to leave comments.

Progress:

#1 I successfully implemented by setting the $DefaultPasswords['edit'] var in local/config.php. Working.

#2 I tried to implement via a Site.SiteFooter page and a Main.GroupFooter page. Neither worked.

#3 has been delayed for now.

So, is this setup possible? If it is, how should I implement it?

- -
Jasyn Jones
jasynj (at) gmail (dot) com

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
"Ulysses" by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Eric Forgeot

Mar 6, 2012, 2:12:38 AM3/6/12
to Jasyn Jones, pmwiki...@pmichaud.com

Hello,

Welcome new pmwiki user ;)

For #3,  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/FoxCommentBox could be a possible solution, and there are some more candidates at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Forms

For #2 I'd personnally use the (:include ...... :) directive (see http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/IncludeOtherPages )  to include the page with comments in my main article, so I can keep them separated, but displayed on a single page, for ex. (:include Cosms.CoreEarth-comments :) with Cosms.CoreEarth-comments using the form above. If you prefer to really separate te display, you can have a look at how comments ("talk") are implemented on pmwiki.org pages : http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/GroupFooter?action=edit

Jasyn Jones

Mar 8, 2012, 3:32:22 PM3/8/12
to pmwiki...@pmichaud.com
Recap: working on getting PmWiki set up, for the first time.

Address is http://stormknights.jasyn.org/wiki/

I'm running into some problems with FoxCommentBox.

On Mar 6, 2012, at 12:12 AM, Eric Forgeot wrote:

> For #3, http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/FoxCommentBox could be a possible solution, and there are some more candidates athttp://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Forms

So, I'm trying to get FoxCommentBox working. I get it set up so the form displays at the bottom of the pages (ex: Cosms.CoreEarth), and I included all the code it seemed to require.

However, though the form accepts input, and even submits, it will not write to the Cosms.CoreEarth-Feedback page. I double-checked, to make sure each page ref was using the correct -Feedback format, but it still will not write.

I've backed up my wiki to my local computer, and removed the "edit" password, so people can take a look at the config files, to see if I missed something or messed something up.

This is the last bit of basic functionality I need to implement. Any help would be appreciated.

Check out my Torg webpage, Storm Knights:
stormknights.jasyn.org

Jasyn Jones

Mar 9, 2012, 3:56:43 PM3/9/12
to pmwiki...@pmichaud.com
Just a small question about CommentBoxPlus:

Right now the comment form looks like it's centered in the content div.

Example: http://stormknights.jasyn.org/wiki/index.php?n=Cosms.CoreEarth-Feedback

How do I get the comment form to align left?

- -
Jasyn Jones
jasynj (at) gmail (dot) com

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
"Ulysses" by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Check out my Torg webpage, Storm Knights:
stormknights.jasyn.org

Hans Bracker

Mar 9, 2012, 4:47:31 PM3/9/12
to Jasyn Jones, pmwiki...@pmichaud.com
Hi Jasyn,

> How do I get the comment form to align left?

add to css/local.css or to commentboxplus/commentboxplus.css

#message table { text-align:left; width:70%; }
#message th { text-align:left; width:8em; }

#message is the name of the div surrounding the form and the table
holding the labels and controls.
Adjust the width of #message table as you need (it is hard coded to
90%).
Fine adjust the width of #message th to suit your text.

Best regards,
Hans
www.softflow.co.uk

Jasyn Jones

Mar 9, 2012, 5:50:23 PM3/9/12
to pmwiki...@pmichaud.com
Thanks, that worked perfectly.

On Mar 9, 2012, at 2:47 PM, Hans Bracker wrote:

> Hi Jasyn,
>
> Friday, March 9, 2012, 8:56:43 PM, you wrote:
>> How do I get the comment form to align left?
>
> add to css/local.css or to commentboxplus/commentboxplus.css
>
> #message table { text-align:left; width:70%; }
> #message th { text-align:left; width:8em; }
>
> #message is the name of the div surrounding the form and the table
> holding the labels and controls.
> Adjust the width of #message table as you need (it is hard coded to
> 90%).
> Fine adjust the width of #message th to suit your text.

- -

Jasyn Jones
jasynj (at) gmail (dot) com

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
"Ulysses" by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Check out my Torg webpage, Storm Knights:
stormknights.jasyn.org

Jasyn Jones

Mar 11, 2012, 8:35:44 PM3/11/12
to PmWiki Users
I'm trying to get CommentBoxPlus to switch how it displays comments. I would like the "signature" (name, time-date stamp) to appear on the bottom, and the text itself to appear on the top.

I assume this involves hacking the .php file, but I can't decipher enough of it to try it myself. (I don't "speak" PHP.)

Thanks in advance...

- -
Jasyn Jones
jasynj (at) gmail (dot) com

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
"Ulysses" by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Check out my PmWiki, Storm Knights:
stormknights.jasyn.org/wiki/

Hans Bracker

Mar 13, 2012, 6:08:36 PM3/13/12

Monday, March 12, 2012, 12:35:44 AM, you wrote:
> I'm trying to get CommentBoxPlus to switch how it displays
> comments. I would like the "signature" (name, time-date stamp) to
> appear on the bottom, and the text itself to appear on the top.

> I assume this involves hacking the .php file, but I can't decipher
> enough of it to try it myself. (I don't "speak" PHP.)

Indeed. Commentboxplus does not use templates to generate the comment
posts. Sorry, I can't help you with the hacking, it is not trivial.
I recommend another comment system which uses templates, like PmForm
or Fox. Then you can set up a comment template, and there will be no
need to hack the php scripts.

Best regards,
Hans
www.softflow.co.uk

Simon

Mar 13, 2012, 7:49:58 PM3/13/12

See how PmWiki does this, eg http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Uploads-Talk

#1 I successfully implemented by setting the $DefaultPasswords['edit'] var in local/config.php. Working.

#2 I tried to implement via a Site.SiteFooter page and a Main.GroupFooter page. Neither worked.

#3 has been delayed for now.

So, is this setup possible? If it is, how should I implement it?

- -
Jasyn Jones
jasynj (at) gmail (dot) com

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
"Ulysses" by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

____
http://kiwiwiki.co.nz

Jasyn Jones

Mar 15, 2012, 7:19:34 AM3/15/12
to PmWiki Users
I have a Site.SiteFooter.

I would like to create a 1px tall #336633 border at the top of the footer (right now I've got a ---- or <hr>). I can't see that the pagefooter has any way to do this.

I tried putting some CSS in pub/css/Site.SiteFooter.css:

body {
border-top:1px #336633 solid;
}

But this didn't work.

Is there something I'm missing, or is my entire approach incorrect?

- -
Jasyn Jones
jasynj (at) gmail (dot) com

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
"Ulysses" by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Check out my Torg webpage, Storm Knights:
stormknights.jasyn.org

Simon

Mar 15, 2012, 3:45:14 PM3/15/12
to Jasyn Jones, PmWiki Users
Try

#wikifoot {
  border-top: 1px;
  border-top-color: #336633;
  border-top-style: solid;
}

(See pmwiki.css in the /pub/skins/pmwiki directory for an example)

Jasyn Jones

Mar 15, 2012, 6:26:32 PM3/15/12
to PmWiki Users
On Mar 15, 2012, at 1:45 PM, Simon wrote:

> Try
>
> #wikifoot {

Thanks for the advice, Simon, but this doesn't work. Here's why:

#wikifoot holds the "Edit, History, Print" etc. actions. But it never contains a Group.GroupFooter (or Site.SiteFooter).

That is added as regular content, just below the content of the page. There is no DIV or any other demarcation.

For example, on one of my pages, the HTML output looks like:

The <hr /> is the beginning of the Group.GroupFooter content. (Because I added it via ---- .)

"We encourage" is immediately followed by the standard "page closing" HTML:

<!--PageFooterFmt-->

So Group.GroupFooter content is added as if it were regular page content just below anything actually in the page. It isn't demarcated by any kind of separate DIV, and the <p> tags lack the usual 'vspace' declarations (which I don't understand).

What I'd like to do is replace the <hr /> with a 1 pixel high, colored line. So far, I can't find anything that lets me do that.

( CSS is border-top:1px #336633 solid; )

Kathryn Andersen

Mar 15, 2012, 9:20:19 PM3/15/12
to pmwiki...@pmichaud.com
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 05:19:34AM -0600, Jasyn Jones wrote:
> I have a Site.SiteFooter.
>
> I would like to create a 1px tall #336633 border at the top of the footer (right now I've got a ---- or <hr>). I can't see that the pagefooter has any way to do this.
>
> I tried putting some CSS in pub/css/Site.SiteFooter.css:
>
> body {
> border-top:1px #336633 solid;
> }

This won't work for a couple of reasons:
1) Site.SiteFooter.css won't be called, because it's not a page or group
name, it's *included* into every page.
2) putting your border on the body tag won't give you what you want.

To solve the first issue, put the CSS into pub/css/local.css; that will
be included on every page.
To solve the second issue, use a div with a class in your SiteFooter,
and reference that class in the CSS. For example...

In SiteFooter:
>>sitefooter<<
... footer content ...
>><<

In local.css:
.sitefooter {
border-top:1px #336633 solid;
}

That should work.

K.A.
--
_--_|\ | Kathryn Andersen <http://www.katspace.org>
/ \ |

Jasyn Jones

Mar 15, 2012, 9:29:47 PM3/15/12
to PmWiki Users
Beautiful. Worked perfectly. Thank you, Kathryn.

I've not been able to find this anywhere in the documentation, but based on your reply:

>>name<<
...content...
>><<

Makes a div with the class='name' tag?

That is very helpful.

- -
Jasyn Jones
jasynj (at) gmail (dot) com

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
"Ulysses" by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Patrick R. Michaud

Mar 16, 2012, 1:42:09 AM3/16/12
to Jasyn Jones, PmWiki Users
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 07:29:47PM -0600, Jasyn Jones wrote:
> Beautiful. Worked perfectly. Thank you, Kathryn.
>
> I've not been able to find this anywhere in the documentation, but based on your reply:
>
> >>name<<
> ...content...
> >><<
>
> Makes a div with the class='name' tag?
>
> That is very helpful.

Technically, it generates a div with the "name" WikiStyle, which
defaults to "class='name'" if not otherwise defined. See
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/WikiStyles.

Knowing this, one can also avoid the .css entry entirely with:

>>border-top="1px solid #336633<<
>><<

This creates a <div> with style='border-top: 1px solid #336633'>.

You can also do:

%define=hr border-top="1px solid #336633%

and then later

>>hr<<
>><<

whenever you want to have a horizontal rule.

Pm

Patrick R. Michaud

Mar 16, 2012, 1:46:40 AM3/16/12
to Jasyn Jones, PmWiki Users
On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:42:09AM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >>border-top="1px solid #336633<<
> >><<
> [...]

> %define=hr border-top="1px solid #336633%

Hmm. My closing quotes got eaten somehow. :-(

Those should be
>>border-top="1px solid #336633"<<
and
%define=hr border-top="1px solid #336633"%

(assuming that whatever ate them before doesn't eat them again. :-).