View this page "PMW vs LilyPond"

HosAdeeb

Jun 9, 2009, 7:15:23 AM6/9/09
to PMW_Music

Click on http://groups.google.com/group/pmw_music/web/pmw-vs-lilypond
- or copy & paste it into your browser's address bar if that doesn't
work.

Neil Killeen

Jun 9, 2009, 7:55:35 PM6/9/09
to PMW_Music
For many years I used the Tex-based software (MusixTex, PMX, MT-X) but
finally I
decided to look for something else. This was largely because of
integration
issues (the layers are all written by different people) and
unpredictable output (because
of TeX).

I tried Lilypond for a little while but its interface is so obscure
and arcane I rapidly
looked again. That was when I found PMW which addresses all of my
needs,
has a well-designed interface, is robust, well documented, well
supported
and the output is predictable.

The fact that it has never had a user group suggests to me that it
didn't *need* one...

regards
Neil

gseaman

Jul 21, 2009, 10:58:32 PM7/21/09
to PMW_Music
Noteedit still exports PMW files. I've never used PMW, but I use
Noteedit to export ABC files and abcm2ps to create .ps files. Noteedit
is no longer being worked on, so I've tweaked it a little and made a
package for PCLinuxOS. (ABC music is also extremely easy to edit text
files).

Galen

HosAdeeb

Jul 23, 2009, 7:25:44 PM7/23/09
to PMW_Music
I never knew NoteEdit could export to PMW. The version I have dates
back to 2007, and when I tried to install it on Mandriva 2009 some
libraries were lacking, and I had to give up. Are you absolutely sure
it can export to PMW, not just to PMX?!

Hosam Adeeb Nashed

galen

Jul 23, 2009, 8:50:03 PM7/23/09
to pmw_...@googlegroups.com

You are right! I mistook PMW for PMX. I'm sorry.

Galen