I wonder why!

HosAdeeb

Jun 4, 2009, 7:29:56 PM6/4/09
to PMW_Music
Why on earth can I not find one single graphical notator that supports
exporting to PMW, while almost all of them (Rosegarden, NoteEdit,
NtEd, MuseScore) support LilyPond, MUP and even MusixTex??!!!!

On my part, I tried contacting NtEd author, offering the possibility
of cooperation (I used to be a professional programmer some years
ago), but so far got no reply.

What do you think we can do to encourage the addition of PMW to some
of those notators?

Hosam Adeeb Nashed

HosAdeeb

Jul 5, 2009, 4:22:29 AM7/5/09
to PMW_Music
Last take on the subject:
I recently contacted MuseScore (http://www.musescore.org), a budding,
very efficient music notator, to suggest the addition of a new
feature: a PMW export filter, as usual offering to help.

They told me that their policy is to concentrate on MusicXML rather
than anything else, and proposed I should work on a standalone
programme that would accept MusicXML as input, ultimately converting
it to PMW code. I have already started investigating the possibility,
but not the coding.

On the other hand, I'm pondering whether it makes good sense, in the
long run, to use a graphical notator as an intermediate step. Will it
result in loosening my grip on coding in PMW (or any other text-based
system, for that matter)?

Admittedly, a graphical notator is quite important while still in the
gestation phase of composing, if only for the direct feedback it
offers. But for producing small excerpts, in the form of PostScript
snippets, for example, or for inclusion within a document, or a myriad
other uses, it just isn't enough.

I was just thinking aloud, so, as usual, your suggestions are more
than welcome.

Hosam Adeeb Nashed