Online Workshop Invitation - Session VII (11/4) of the "Materials Workshop" Series (National Institute of Japanese Literature)

ノット ジェフリー

Oct 24, 2022, 9:08:39 AM10/24/22
to pm...@googlegroups.com

Dear Colleagues,

The National Institute of Japanese Literature (NIJL), together in joint sponsorship

with the Inter-University Center for Japanese Language Studies (IUC), is pleased

to announce the Seventh Session of our "Materials Workshops" series, the first of

two sessions planned for the current (Japanese) academic year.

NOTE: Starting this year, the workshop will be conducted fully in-person,

but will also continue to be streamed (in part) online. Session VII will be held

on November 4th (Fri), from 15:00-17:00 JST. This time the focus will be

on writing manuals (bunreishū 文例集) of the post-Meiji era.

>>Session VII Details:

TOPIC: Post-Meiji Writing Manuals (日本近代の文例集)

LECTURER: Tada Kurahito (NIJL)

DATE: 11/4 (Friday)

TIME: Tokyo 15pm-17pm (JST)

VENUE: NIJL* (& partially streamed online via Zoom)

(*Due to COVID restrictions, for Session VII, in-person participation will unfortunately be limited to staff and students from NIJL and IUC.)

LANGUAGE: Japanese

「「文体」を調べる本-日本近代の文例集」

日本の近代(1868~)は、文章(文体)の激しい変動期にあたります。とくに明治大正期には、新たに

流入した文章ジャンルや古くから存在した文章ジャンルについての作法書や名文集、文例集、語彙集などが

盛んに出版されました。これらの本を文学資料として活用してみると、詩や小説の「文体」を、様々なジャンルで

規範化したスタイルの集積として見直すことができるようになります。styleを実証するための本として、

文例集を活用してみることにしましょう。

Link (NIJL Homepage):

https://www.nijl.ac.jp/activity/International/bunkenworkshop/series7.html

ABOUT:

This series of workshops is designed to orient and instruct interested participants

in the use, handling, and research application of primary-source documents.

We particularly welcome the participation of graduate students and early career researchers.

PROGRAM:

Each 2-hour workshop focuses on a different category of document (scrolls, manuscripts, emaki,

hanpon, etc.), to be discussed by a field expert in its research use, according to the following schedule:

First Half: ORIENTATION (1 hour)    *Note: Hybrid-format (in-person & streamed via zoom)

The first hour involves a presentation by the lecturer, combining general explanation about the type of

document, how to handle it, etc., with concrete illustration through specific examples.

Second Half: OPEN FLOOR (1 hour)    *Note: In-person only

The second hour moves to a more open format under the lecturer’s guidance, allowing participants

to engage hands-on with a variety of texts representing the genre, asking questions freely.

REGISTRATION (for Zoom link to streamed first half):

Please follow the link below to a Google Forms page where you can register.

https://forms.gle/wutrm7aTQuqC3k6b7

We will send the necessary Zoom link to your chosen address by 11/1.

Any other inquiries about this or future workshops are welcome at:

(Please also feel free to contact me directly off-list.)

Sincerely,
Jeffrey Knott
Assistant Professor
National Institute of Japanese Literature

Materials Workshop VII - Poster.pdf