PMJS Publication Announcement: September 2021

Tariq Sheikh

Sep 9, 2021, 11:04:35 AM9/9/21
to pm...@googlegroups.com

Dear colleagues,

We are excited to bring you our first monthly publication announcement. This is a monthly bulletin compiling information on the latest publications by PMJS members. All details below were submitted through the PMJS Publication Announcements online form.

  1. Publication type: Book

Title: Picturing the Floating World: Ukiyo-e in Context

Author: Julie Nelson Davis

Affiliation: Professor, History of Art, University of Pennsylvania

Summary: Picturing the Floating World: Ukiyo-e in Context is designed as a critical yet accessible analysis of ukiyo-e, “the pictures of the floating world,” and reconsiders the genre as under construction in its own time and into the present. Opening with an analysis of period documents to establish the terms of appraisal brought to ukiyo-e in late eighteenth-century Japan, the book tracks how artistic practice and commercial enterprise were intertwined throughout ukiyo-e’s history, from its earliest imagery through the twentieth century.

Release Date: August 31, 2021

Website: https://uhpress.hawaii.edu/title/picturing-the-floating-world-ukiyo-e-in-context/

Contact: jnd...@upenn.edu

Other info: Available for preorder.

To be included in future announcements, please submit all relevant information to our online form by the 20th of each month.

We look forward to promoting the work of our community!

Best regards,

Tariq Sheikh (with Abigail MacBain)

Tariq Sheikh, PhD
Assistant Professor (Japanese Studies)
English and Foreign Languages University
Hyderabad, India.

Chris Kern

Sep 9, 2021, 11:18:24 AM9/9/21
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the update; I really like this format. It may be a bit more impersonal, but that can also be a good thing since people often seem a little sheepish or uneasy about promoting their own books and articles.

Sincerely,
-Chris Kern, Auburn University

--
PMJS is a forum dedicated to the study of premodern Japan.
To post to the list, email pm...@googlegroups.com

Paula R. Curtis

Sep 9, 2021, 11:25:18 AM9/9/21
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks to Abby and Tariq for the first publication bulletin!

As Chris said, we hope this is a great way to offer an alternative format to those who do not wish to announce their work personally. We of course welcome folks to continue to post separate announcements if that is their preferred method and also to submit new work by others that they hope to see more recognition (but who may not submit the form or email themselves). Reminders to post to the publications form will be sent before the deadline of the 20th each month.

All the best,

Paula

--
Paula R. Curtis
Postdoctoral Fellow and Lecturer in History