Classical Japanese SIG this Friday 7:30 PM, Fens Room, Sheraton Boston

Jack Stoneman

Mar 14, 2023, 5:43:05 PM3/14/23
to PMJS: Premodern Japanese Studies

Dear Colleagues,

Just a quick reminder of the Classical Japanese Special Interest Group meeting which will be held this Friday in conjunction with the AATJ/AAS conferences. Details are below, including an introduction to this year’s topic by our three presenters, Marjorie Burge (UC Boulder), Jeffrey Niedermaier (Brown U), and Pier Carlo Tommasi (U of Hawai’i). Many thanks to Marjorie, Jeffrey, and Pier-Carlo for putting together what promises to be a wonderful presentation and discussion. I would also like to thank in advance my esteemed colleague Paul Warnick (BYU) for agreeing to host the event in Boston. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to attend in person. For any others who can’t be in Boston, we plan to record the meeting and make it available afterward. If you would like to access the recording, just drop me a line and let me know.

Thank you!

Jack Stoneman

Friday, March 17, 7:30-9:00 PM

Fens Room, Sheraton Boston Hotel

Reflections on the “Intercollegiate Classical Japanese Poetry Contest”

Marjorie Burge, University of Colorado Boulder

Jeffrey Niedermaier, Brown University

Pier Carlo Tommasi, University of Hawaii

On December 6, 2022, we held what we hope is merely the first “Intercollegiate Classical Japanese Poetry Contest” (also known as 令和四年三校十三番歌合), between our students at Brown, University of Hawaii, and University of Colorado. This uta-awase, conducted on Zoom, paired original tanka by first-semester bungo students, with the three faculty members serving as “judges” who offered evaluative comments on each poem, but left the voting up to the audience via a Zoom poll. Students had each been given a topic, which were selected to be accessible to students living in very different climates: Falling Flowers/Falling Leaves 落葉・落花, Landscapes 山水, Moon , Love Embittered 恨恋, Travel , and Hometown 故郷. Students were encouraged to look at “precedents” for their topic, but to compose as they liked based on their own real or imagined experience. This exercise was intended as a capstone for their first semester of classical Japanese, where they could apply their now vast knowledge of auxiliary verbs and particles, for the first time actively using the language that they had thereto only approached as readers/interpreters. Preparing an original uta for this event allowed students to approach what they had learned in a new way, exploring the expressive potential of an ostensibly “dead” language. In this presentation, each of the organizing faculty members will discuss their experience in including this event as part of their introductory bungo course. Following the presentation, we hope to have an open discussion about bungo pedagogy and the ways in which an event like this might be improved/expanded as a capstone for first semester/first year students.

Laffin, Christina

Mar 15, 2023, 10:20:49 AM3/15/23
to pm...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jack.

I would love to hear the recording later.

I lost my father on Wednesday, March 8 and am will be home with family for a while. He lived such a full life, from conscription at 16 and soon becoming a POW of the US and then the UK to more than half a century of creating beauty things for his island community. He lived incredibly simply (imagine being a potter and using only rainwater) and I am so grateful for all he left us.

Christina

Mar 15, 2023, 10:27:21 AM3/15/23
to pm...@googlegroups.com

Dear all,

I apologize for having failed to moderate my own message on PMJS. As you can see, I recently lost my 96-year-old father. I was not intending to inform the list but since I have done so, please allow me to thank fellow moderators David Eason, Nadia Kanagawa, Hanna McGaughey, and our trusty editor Paula Curtis for stepping in while I take some time out.

Sorry for taking the list off track—please feel free to write me directly if you are getting in touch so we can go back to regular PMJS content.

Christina