[MJHA] Call for chapters for a volume on heroism and villainy in modern Japan

Rotem Kowner

Jun 27, 2024, 9:17:17 AMJun 27
to MJHA, 'Colton Runyan' via PMJS: Listserv, Nick Kapur, Alisa Freedman
Dear Colleagues,

We are in the process of editing a volume tentatively titled "The Nobility of Success? Heroes and Villains in Modern Japan.” As we approach the fiftieth anniversary of the publication of Ivan Morris’ book "The Nobility of Failure: Tragic Heroes in the History of Japan,” our volume aims to re-examine the concept of heroism and villainy in modern Japan by exploring a wide array of personalities from both premodern and modern Japanese history.

Featuring contributions of leading scholars in the field, we are still seeking chapters on the following personalities and their portrayals and commemorations in modern Japan and overseas:
1. Hosokawa Gracia
2. Iva Tuguri D’Aquino

If you are interested in contributing a chapter on either of these personalities, please send us an abstract (approximately 200 words) and a brief bio (100-120 words) by July 15, 2024.

Rotem Kowner <kow...@research.haifa.ac.il> and Alisa Freedman <ali...@uoregon.edu>