Buddhist Studies position at the University of Edinburgh

Halle O'Neal

Oct 31, 2022, 9:02:53 AM10/31/22
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Dear colleagues,

The University of Edinburgh is hiring a full-time, 3-year fixed-term Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Buddhist Languages and Cultures to join Edinburgh Buddhist Studies (EBS). The post holder will teach classical Buddhist languages (Sanskrit plus one other) as well as thematic seminars and lecture courses in their research area. For further information, please see below:

We are seeking to hire a three-year Lecturer in Buddhist Languages and Cultures responsible for delivering a portfolio of courses in Sanskrit and another classical language, as well as in an area of Buddhist culture such as literature, visual/material culture, history, or anthropology.

This post is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the growth and development of Buddhist Studies at the University of Edinburgh through teaching, research, and leadership. In particular, the post, which is part-funded by the Khyentse Foundation, is designed to trial new ways of teaching classical Buddhist languages in a sustainable and inclusive manner. Subject to the successful demonstration of an economically viable and academically fruitful approach to teaching Buddhist languages and cultures, there is a possibility that this position could be converted to an open-ended contract at the end of the three years. EBS will do all it can to help our new colleague achieve a permanent contract.

Closing date: 23rd December 2022
Start date: 1st August 2023

Please see the job page here for a detailed breakdown of the role and its requirements. I'd be grateful if you could share the ad with any interested colleagues.

All my best,
Halle

Dr Halle O'Neal

Reader in History of Art
Co-Director of Edinburgh Buddhist Studies
University of Edinburgh
(she/her/hers)

Word Embodied: The Jeweled Pagoda Mandalas in Japanese Buddhist Art (Harvard University Press 2018)