とはずがたり historicity

Chris Kern

Nov 11, 2022, 10:09:37 AM11/11/22
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Dear list members,

I'm currently teaching とはずがたり in a women's lit class. I'm wondering whether there is any current scholarly consensus on whether this is an autobiography of an actual person with some fictionalization in it, or a completely fictional story? Perhaps additional research or information that has come out since Karen Brazell made her translation? The introduction to the translation does not even raise the possibility that it might be a fictional monogatari, but at least according to the Japanese Wikipedia page there have been some doubts raised, evidently based on the 尊卑分脈 as well as the 勅撰集 from around this time.

Sincerely,

Tomasz Majtczak

Nov 11, 2022, 1:21:00 PM11/11/22
to pm...@googlegroups.com

Dear Chris,

can this article be of any help?

Małgorzata Citko
Three faces of lady Nijō, the authoress of Towazugatari

https://www.academia.edu/1165239/Three_faces_of_lady_Nij%C5%8D_the_authoress_of_Towazugatari

Best,
Tomek

Tomasz Majtczak
Wadowice / Kraków
When arguing with a stupid person, make sure that he isn't doing the same.

--
PMJS is a forum dedicated to the study of premodern Japan.
To post to the list, email pm...@googlegroups.com