Opportunity: Bilingual Japanese Art Collections Researcher at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Asian Art

Frank Feltens

Jun 26, 2024, 6:51:51 PMJun 26
to pm...@googlegroups.com

External Email - Exercise Caution

Dear colleagues,

The National Museum of Asian Art in Washington, DC is looking for a contract researcher to work on the recent gift of the Mary and Cheney Cowles Collection of Japanese painting and calligraphy. (By “bilingual” we mean working fluency in English and Japanese.)

Please feel free to send any questions off list to me or my colleague listed below. And please forward this call for applications to whoever might be qualified and interested.

With many thanks,
Frank

Subject: Request for Quotes: Bilingual Japanese Art Collections Researcher at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Asian Art

Dear Interested Applicants,

Qualified individuals are invited to submit a proposal for the Bilingual Japanese Art Collections Researcher contract at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Asian Art, working closely with the Curator of Japanese Art.

This project aims to enhance the internal cataloguing and documentation of the Mary and Cheney Cowles Collection, which consists of over 300 works of Japanese painting and calligraphy.

Key components of the SOW include:

  • Conducting detailed research by examining primary and secondary sources for information on the Cowles Collection, performing provenance research by contacting vendors and previous owners, and clearing rights for these objects.
  • Updating museum collection records with research findings to ensure accurate and comprehensive documentation in the museum's database.
  • Holding regular progress meetings with the Curator of Japanese Art.
  • Working within a specified period of performance from August 19, 2024, through May 26, 2025, with an optional extension period if funding allows.

The Request for Quote (RFQ), Statement of Work (SOW), and supporting documentation are available in Dropbox. Please review all documents carefully.

Please submit your quote and materials by 11:59 PM, Eastern Standard Time, on Friday, July 19, 2024, to Sarah Yarrito, Head of Institutional Project Management, at Yarr...@si.edu. Please note that quotes submitted after that time cannot be considered.

We look forward to your thorough review and are available to address any questions or provide further clarification as needed. Questions should be directed to Sarah Yarrito no later than Monday, July 8, 2024.

Frank Feltens, PhD

Curator of Japanese Art

he/him/his

felt...@si.edu

O: 202.633.0485

USPS mail:

PO Box 37012, MRC 707

Washington, DC 20013-7012

Package and courier deliveries:

1050 Independence Ave SW

Washington, DC 20560

signature_691063453

signature_3915036177signature_2745651569signature_1019534868signature_3585739667signature_1260862129signature_2898674098signature_3077577773

@NatAsianArt

#SmithsonianAsianArt

asia.si.edu