Greetings esteemed list members,
I would like to humbly submit to you an interview with Dr. Ross Bender on my podcast, "Sengoku Daimyo's Chronicles of Japan":
Also available on YouTube (audio only) or wherever you listen to podcasts; a written transcript is also included at the bottom of the blogpost and in the episode description.
In the interview Dr. Bender talks about his experiences, from his early days getting interested in the study of Hachiman and the Dokyo Incident to his translation of the Shoku Nihongi and his body of work around the history and the Nara period. We also talk about the study he did to be able to accomplish his task and what drove him, including those who have encouraged and supported him in his efforts over the years. I really enjoyed listening to him describe the journey he has been on, which has brought him to this place.
The podcast itself is just my project of running through a chronological history of Japan. I started with prehistory and, about 7 years and over 150 episodes in, released twice a month, I am just coming to the end of the reign of Jito Tenno and the material in the Nihon Shoki. As I transition into the period of the Shoku Nihongi, which I'm looking forward to getting into, I am very grateful to Dr. Bender for giving of his time for this interview.
Regards,
Joshua Badgley
Podcast host, admin, and lover of history