References, a question, and bee-keeping in Japan

William Farris

Aug 13, 2021, 1:37:50 PM8/13/21
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Greetings:
    1) I am requesting 2 references
       a)  Does anyone have handy the page numbers for Hotate Michihisa's essay in Piggott's CAPITAL AND COUNTRYSIDE?
      b)  I do not currently have a copy of POPULATION, DISEASE, AND LAND handy.  In the bibliography, I'm pretty certain that there is the bibliographic information for 吉田孝 律令時代の交易.  If someone can send me the full citation with page numbers, I would be grateful.
   2)  On porcelain shards in early medieval Japan:  I have the figures from Bruce Batten's TO THE END OF JAPAN.  He lists a number (I think 4,000) for 1992.  Does anyone know of more recent figures?
   3)  On bee-keeping in Japan, I easily found the following url:  www.beekeeping.org.jp/beekeeping/history/japan
     Apparently, the earliest reference is to be found in the NIHON SHOKI.  The ENGI SHIKI lists the provinces in Japan charged with sending honey to the court.  There are lots of sources for this interesting project.  Apparently, bee-keeping did not really become an important pursuit until the Edo period.
    Wayne Farris

Richard Bowring

Aug 13, 2021, 2:29:19 PM8/13/21
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Wayne.
For 1a. the answer is: 166–208.
By the way, I clicked on your bee-keeping reference but got “no server”.
Richard Bowring

--
PMJS is a forum dedicated to the study of premodern Japan.
To post to the list, email pm...@googlegroups.com

William Farris

Aug 13, 2021, 5:11:14 PM8/13/21
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Hello again:
         As Professor Bowring has pointed out, I got the url wrong.  The correct one is:  www.beekeeping.or.jp/beekeeping/history/japan
         I only skimmed this site, but I believe it says that honey and beekeeping came from (where else?) the 三韓.  Thus the entries in the NIHON SHOKI.  Interestingly, when I was researching the plague in Japan, I had occasion to look at the 貢物 from Parhae and one item was honey.
        BTW, one way to trace Edo-period honey/beekeeping is to look at the industries found in all the prefectural histories.  It's too much for me to do now, but it appears that honey looks like many commodities in Japan:  introduction from the continent, tribute in the Nara/Heian periods, then slow spread in the medieval period, and great growth after 1600.
        I also had a senior memory lapse concerning the Yoshida article.  It's in 日本経済史体系:古代, but the editor wants pp. nos.
        No more recent information on Chinese porcelain shards in Japan around 1200?  My latest is 1992.
Wayne

ken...@uesugi.dk

Aug 16, 2021, 1:20:41 PM8/16/21
to pm...@googlegroups.com

Dear Wayne and all.

律令時代の交易 is not included in the bibliography of  POPULATION, DISEASE, AND LAND.

Regards,

Dennis

Resized_20210814_094036.jpg

kktr...@me.com

Aug 16, 2021, 5:48:53 PM8/16/21
to pm...@googlegroups.com

Dear All,

I apologize for not responding to all about this citation. I found it on NDL online and sent it to Wayne.  https://dl.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/3012382 and it gives page numbers. (Click on the mokuji tab).  Often if you paste part of a citation into NDL online, you will find it.  NDL has digitized most, if not all, of the books in their collection, as well as their journals.  While we cannot get to the full text from libraries in the US (Japanese Studies librarians are eager to be able to provide access but the conditions for using it, at least when I retired a year ago, were not acceptable/ practical for US libraries).  But even the tables of contents are very useful and not just for tracking down full citations, but also for deciding whether you want to buy the book or ILL it.

Kris

---

Kristina Troost, PhD

Raleigh NC

kktr...@me.com

919-218-3865

Christopher Larcombe

Aug 18, 2021, 2:50:46 PM8/18/21
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Dear Professor Farris,

Please note below the bibliographic details for your (2).

吉田孝

「律令時代の交易」in  Ienaga Teizō  弥永貞三他編『日本経済史大系:1/古代』(東京大学出版会: 1965 / 昭和四十), 331-380.

It appears (though I have not been able to confirm) that the piece was reprinted in Yoshida's 1983 『律令国家と古代の社会』(岩波書店).

Yours sincerely,
Christopher Larcombe

Sent from my Galaxy

William Farris

Aug 18, 2021, 3:04:16 PM8/18/21
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr. (Dr.?) Larcombe:
           Thank you for confirming the reference. No more is needed.
           I never did have any "takers" on possible updates for the amount of Chinese porcelain shards in Japan around 1200?  My latest information is from 1992.
           I know that excavations have declined since the early '90s b/c of the slump of the Japanese economy.  Any newer information?
Wayne