McGill Premodern Japanese Studies Conference October 25 2024

Mikael Bauer, Dr.

Jul 4, 2024, 7:47:18 PMJul 4
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Call for submissions

McGill Premodern Japanese Studies Conference October 25 2024

Buddhism and Material Culture

Keynote Speaker: Prof. Pamela Winfield (Elon University and McGill Numata Visiting Scholar 2024). Other presenters TBD.

We are pleased to announce a call for submissions from graduate students for our one-day conference themed ‘Buddhism and Material Culture.’ We had to postpone our conferences for a few years due to Covid but I am glad we can now return to our annual conferences here at the School of Religious Studies, McGill, in beautiful Canada.

We invite proposals from Phd students working on the material aspect of Buddhist ritual in the pre-modern period. This may include studies on particular objects, relics, production of texts, and various arts such as sculpture, painting, textiles and architecture related to certain rituals. Topics concerning shrines and kami are equally welcome.

We will invite three graduate students to McGill and provide hotel, lunch, dinner and airfare from North America. The participants will present a 30 min paper and receive questions and feedback from faculty.

Please submit a 500 word proposal before August 15 to:

Best wishes,

Mikael Bauer

Mikael Bauer

Associate Professor of Japanese Religions (Buddhism), School of Religious Studies

Graduate Program Director SRS

Associate Member Department of East Asian Studies

McGill University

Birks Building 004

3520 rue University

Montreal, QC H3A 2A7