Ritsuryō Question

Ross Bender

Aug 9, 2022, 9:57:15 PM8/9/22
to pmjs
While the Kan'iryō provided the hierarchy of court ranks and provided the corresponding offices (Junior First for the Daijōdaijin, Junior Second for the Sadaijin and Udaijin, etc.), it apparently did not specify the amount of land or stipends for each rank.

I had always assumed this was the case, but when I tried to find it I came up short. Can anyone help?

Currently I am looking at the assignment of court rank to Parhae diplomats and to Shinto deities. In both cases these must be honorary, but especially in the latter case it seems that conferral of high rank must have meant something in terms of sustenance land, etc.

Ross Bender

mariachiar...@unisalento.it

Aug 10, 2022, 12:38:03 PM8/10/22
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ross,

for stipends, you have to read the 禄令(ろくりょう). As for the assignment of court ranks to Parhae diplomats and to Shinto deities, and to other occasional events,  I think  that you should check not the laws, but the edicts in the Annals, or in the kyaku collections.

Best regards,
mc

Maria Chiara Migliore
Associate Professor
Department of Humanities
University of Salento
Piazzetta Rizzo, 1
73100 Lecce, Italy

--
PMJS is a forum dedicated to the study of premodern Japan.
To post to the list, email pm...@googlegroups.com

William Farris

Aug 10, 2022, 12:38:13 PM8/10/22
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Ross:
         Check out 田令位田条 (#4) and 禄令給季禄条 (#1).
Wayne Farris

Ross Bender

Aug 10, 2022, 3:00:09 PM8/10/22
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much to everyone. As Wayne Farris points out the allotments of land can be found in 田令位田条 (#4) and stipends in 禄令給季禄条 (#1). For those following along at home, these are on pages 240 and 304 respectively in Inoue Mitsusada's 1976 edition of Ritsuryō .

The allotments of land correspond to those in the charts provided by Yoshihiro Man'i. (http://www.sol.dti.ne.jp/hiromi/kansei/r_hokyu.html). However, I cannot find where in Ritsuryō the figures given in the 品封 for 戸  are to be found. The  戸令  has 45 dense articles but as far as I can see there is nothing specified according to rank, the way land and stipends are given.

Again I am probably missing something; any further help is appreciated.

Ross Bender

William Farris

Aug 10, 2022, 5:46:33 PM8/10/22
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Ross:
        Check out 賦役令封戸条 (#8), p. 253.
WWF

--
PMJS is a forum dedicated to the study of premodern Japan.
To post to the list, email pm...@googlegroups.com
For the PMJS Terms of Use and more resources, please visit www.pmjs.org.
Contact the moderation team at mod...@pmjs.org
---

William Farris

Aug 10, 2022, 5:46:36 PM8/10/22
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Addendum:
        There appear to be no laws stipulating numbers of 封戸 by rank.  If you look at the case of Prince Nagaya and Princess Kibi, I think that this will be seen to be very much ad hoc.
WWF

Ross Bender

Aug 10, 2022, 9:29:45 PM8/10/22
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again, but I'm not sure  賦役令封戸条 (#8), p. 253 helps much.

ritsuryo - furyakyryo (2).jpg
However, there is some data in Shoku Nihongi about what Prince Nagaya  (and others) received. But as you say, it seems to be ad hoc.

《和銅七年(七一四)正月七年壬戌(庚申朔三)》七年春正月壬戌。二品長親王。舍人親王。新田部親王。三品志貴親王、益封各二百戸。従三位長屋王一百戸

《養老六年(七二二)五月己丑【二十】》○己丑。賜右大臣長屋王。稲十万束。籾四百斛。

《神亀元年(七二四)二月甲午【四】》○二月甲午。... 従二位長屋王正二位。正三位多治比真人池守益封五十戸。

Ross Bender

On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 5:46 PM William Farris <wfa...@hawaii.edu> wrote:
Addendum:
        There appear to be no laws stipulating numbers of 封戸 by rank.  If you look at the case of Prince Nagaya and Princess Kibi, I think that this will be seen to be very much ad hoc.
WWF

On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 2:49 PM William Farris <wfa...@hawaii.edu> wrote:
Ross:
        Check out 賦役令封戸条 (#8), p. 253.