Intro to Historical Kambun 2022; Kambun Workshop 2022, Reading Fujiwara Tadazane's Denryaku (1098-1118)

Joan R Piggott

May 12, 2022, 7:40:23 PM5/12/22
to pm...@googlegroups.com, Center for the Premodern World, USC East Asian Studies Center, Shinso Ito Center for Japanese Religions and Culture, Reischauer Institute of Japanese Studies, japans...@interational.ucla.edu
Late spring greetings to all!

The Project for Premodern Japan Studies at the University of Southern California is happy to announce its summer Kambun Workshop plans for 2022.

Earlier in the summer there will be a two-week Introduction to Historical Kambun taught by Dr. Sachiko Kawai of the National Museum of Japanese History from June 20 to July 1. Sessions will be held on Zoom, likely in the mid-to-later afternoons PDT. The program is fully funded and therefore free of charge for participants. Since texts are read in Japanese and much of the reference material is in Japanese, a high level of Japanese language competency and previous training in classical Japanese is required for participation.

Later in the summer, from Monday July 11 to Friday August 5, we will read selections from Fujiwara Tadazane's journal, Denryaku. Led by Professor Piggott with the assistance of Dr. Jillian Barndt and Emily Warren, the group will meet three hours daily, Monday through Thursday (11 AM-2 PM), for reading and discussion. We will also meet with Professor Ônoe Yôsuke of the University of Tokyo's Historiographical Institute on Fridays, to ask questions and receive advice on the week's reading. All of this will be done via Zoom.

As we have done in past, members of the workshop will produce translated and annotated texts as well as glossary entries for the Historical Glossary Project, which happily has been funded once again at the University of Tokyo's Historiographical Institute.

If you are interested in joining either of these programs, please contact Professor Piggott, Director of the Project for Premodern Japan Studies at USC. If you'd like more information on the work of the Kambun Workshops and the translations they have produced, see our archive at <uscppjs.org>.

Best,
Joan R. Piggott,
Gordon L. MacDonald Professor of History and Director of the Project for Premodern Japan Studies at USC