mtbf for pm

Shean Kim

Jan 6, 2022, 1:43:34 AM1/6/22
to pmem
Hi,
I'm studying about failure recovery for pm.
I wonder, when I use pm as storage, how often failure occur in pm.
I tried to find some data about this, but I cannot.

Is there something like mtbf (mean time between failure) for Intel Optane Persistent Memory?
Or is there data that I can get about the types and frequency of failures that can occur in pm?

Thanks,
Shean Kim.

steve.s...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2022, 11:58:19 AM1/6/22
to pmem
On Wednesday, 5 January 2022 at 23:43:34 UTC-7 Shean Kim wrote:
Is there something like mtbf (mean time between failure) for Intel Optane Persistent Memory?

Most vendors switched from using MTBF to AFR (Annualized Failure Rate) as it's a more accurate number when dealing with volume products in datacenters. There's a lot of good information on the Internet relating to the differences and why AFR is preferred.

Check the vendor's product specification or data sheet for the AFR/MTBF numbers. For example,  the Intel Optane Persistent Memory 100 and 200 series have an AFR of "<= 0.44%" for all capacities (128GB, 256GB, and 512GB) across both generations. The Optane SSDs and Enterprise NAND drives have exactly the same AFR number.

Data Sources:
Or is there data that I can get about the types and frequency of failures that can occur in pm?

Read this recent thread on this topic where we discuss and show what health metrics are available from the Intel Optane Persistent Memory products and the types of failures one could encounter. As for frequency, there's no data other than the AFR numbers posted. Feel free to ask further questions here or on the other thread.

/Steve