Archiving some PMDK projects

ppbb...@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2022, 7:59:30 AM11/3/22
to pmem

Following Intel’s Q2 earnings call announcing the wind-down of Intel’s Optane business, Intel will also be winding down its investment in new feature development on Persistent Memory Development Kit (PMDK) libraries and adjusting long-term support and maintenance plans accordingly.

As part of that plan, we are going to archive (marking as read-only on GitHub) specific projects that will receive no further support from Intel. This has been done after careful assessment of impact this decision might have on existing PMDK users.

Starting in December, we plan on archiving the following repositories:

https://github.com/pmem/kb.pmem.io
https://github.com/pmem/libvmem
https://github.com/pmem/libpmemobj-cpp
https://github.com/pmem/libpmemkv
https://github.com/pmem/vmemcache
https://github.com/pmem/pmemfile
https://github.com/pmem/libminiasync

Additionally, we are also going to be removing the pmemset library from the PMDK repository.

This action will allow us to focus our time and effort on the most actively used libraries while clarifying the maintenance status of the impacted projects. If you’d like to provide feedback on these steps, please reach out to me at piotr....@intel.com.

gro...@o2.pl

Feb 8, 2023, 8:13:37 AM2/8/23
to pmem
Following the previously announced changes regarding the archiving of some PMDK repositories (https://pmem.io/blog/2022/11/update-on-pmdk-and-our-long-term-support-strategy/
we have decided to make further changes to focus exclusively on libraries critical from the point of view of PMDK users.

The changes will be applied mainly to libraries within the pmem/pmdk repository. Starting in March, we plan to:
- archive the https://github.com/pmem/pmemstream repository
- archive the source code of libpmemblk and libpmemlog libraries and remove them from future releases
- remove support for the miniasync library from libpmem2
- remove support for btt from the libpmempool library
- move the libpmempool and libpmemobj libraries (along with associated tools) to a new repository with a plan for minimal support for them in the future.

With these changes, the 'pmem/pmdk' repository will include:
- libpmem and libpmem2 libraries
- daxio and pmreorder tools
and related tests and examples.

Additionally, Intel will cease to support for Windows and FreeBSD operating systems.

If you'd like to provide feedback on these steps, please contact me at tomasz.g...@intel.com.

Janek Mi

Jul 19, 2023, 9:00:05 AM7/19/23
to pmem