Filesystem POSIX with PMEM

JF

Sep 14, 2021, 11:50:15 AM9/14/21
to pmem
Hello all,

I'm trying to do a basic comparison of latency performance of an SSD to Pmem modules after setting it to FSDAX  mode (ext4). This is done using the basic Python File API write methods.

However,  I'm finding that the performance is favoring SSD which is something I don't believe should be happening. I'm new to using PMEM so what type of issue does this appear to be? Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
TJ

Ranjan Sarpangala Venkatesh

Sep 14, 2021, 3:06:32 PM9/14/21
to JF, pmem
Hi TJ

I am curious as to why you are building your own benchmark, there are several recent studies which have characterized PMEM performance. What kind of workload do you have and how are you running them? Are the PMEM modules on the same socket as the workload generating threads or remote NUMA? Cross NUMA writes at high concurrency levels are known to have degraded performance, especially when mixed with reads.

Regards
Ranjan