Intel Core(2) Fixed Function CAPS Question

1 view

ajray

Jul 7, 2009, 1:01:32 AM7/7/09
to PMCTools Discuss
Hello again,

My question now is concerning a problem I just tracked down in my
PMCTools port.

Part of the the iaf_allocate_pmc (hwpmc) function checks the CAPS
(capabilities?) on the struct versus those provided.

Of note, iaf_allocate_pmc(libpmc) as well as the man page pmc.iaf(3)
says that it's caps are: INTERRUPT, READ, SYSTEM, USER, WRITE.

On the hwpmc side of things the IAF_PMC_CAPS that it checks
capabilites against is defined in hwpmc_core.c (line 50) to be:
(PMC_CAP_READ | PMC_CAP_WRITE | PMC_CAP_INTERRUPT)
Which is missing the USER and SYSTEM caps.

I'm not sure this is a problem, but I thought I'd point it out
anyway. For my own system I added the caps to IAF_PMC_CAPS to match
whats in the man page pmc.iaf(3).

Thanks again,
~Alex

Joseph Koshy

Jul 8, 2009, 10:15:56 PM7/8/09
to pmctools...@googlegroups.com

Good catch.

I will fix it in the FreeBSD tree after the code freeze lifts.

Koshy