Why FES calculated from meta-eabf is not smooth as that from WT-meta?

Wei Zhang

Jun 8, 2021, 10:03:51 PM6/8/21
to PLUMED users
Dear all,
Recentlty, I was using Plumed-2v.6 with Lammps to calculate the PMF. The coordination number is CV, both WT-meta and meta-eabf method were used. However, I found the PMF calculated from calculated from meta-eabf is not smooth as that from WT-meta. Here follows the input scripts of these method and the output PMF figures.
1. Could anyone tell me how to change meta-eabf parameters to make the PMF line smooth?
2. How to estimate the error in free-energies with meta-eabf method?
#=========================meta-eabf=================
DRR ...
  LABEL=eabf
  ARG=ncoord
  FULLSAMPLES=500
  GRID_MAX=1.1
  GRID_MIN=0.0
  GRID_SPACING=0.02
  FRICTION=8.0
  TEXTOUTPUT
  OUTPUTFREQ=5000
  HISTORYFREQ=100000
  TAU=0.5
  TEMP=673

METAD ...
   LABEL=mtd
   ARG=eabf.ncoord_fict
   SIGMA=0.1
   GRID_MAX=3.0
   GRID_MIN=-0.2
   GRID_SPACING=0.02
   HEIGHT=0.6
   PACE=1000
   TEMP=673
   BIASFACTOR=8

uwalls: UPPER_WALLS ARG=eabf.ncoord_fict AT=1.10  KAPPA=1000000
lwalls: LOWER_WALLS ARG=eabf.ncoord_fict AT=0.00  KAPPA=1000000

#===================================meta========================
METAD ...
   LABEL=mtd
   ARG=ncoord
   SIGMA=0.1
   GRID_MAX=2.0
   GRID_MIN=0
   GRID_SPACING=0.02
#   GRID_BIN=50
   HEIGHT=0.6
   PACE=1000
   TEMP=673
   BIASFACTOR=20
   CALC_RCT
   RCT_USTRIDE=10
#==================================================================

fes.png

fes-eabf.png

Haohao Fu

Jun 9, 2021, 4:53:24 AM6/9/21
to PLUMED users
Hi,

I noticed that you were using a similar Gaussian size for the MtD and WT-Meta-eABF simulations. I suspect that you want to use a smaller size for the WT-Meta-eABF simulation, as the biases from the ABF should dominate, and the MtD part only helps to guarantee a normal distribution of the sampling along the CV.

Good luck,
Haohao

Victor Hue

Jun 9, 2021, 5:38:40 AM6/9/21
to plumed...@googlegroups.com
Dear Zhang,

Hi Zhang. I'm learning how to use PLUMED in LAMMPS at the moment. I'm using the umbrella sampling method for my research.

Since you are using LAMMPS too, do you have any idea how can I use umbrella sampling in LAMMPS? From what I know, I have to run the simulations of each bias potential in parallel for different window stages, and from the trajectory produced, I need to combine all trajectories together, and run the simulation again with all the bias potentials.

I'm not sure how can I implemented this in LAMMPS. Specifically, how to run all simulation in parallel and how to combine the trajectories in LAMMPS.

Appreciate if you know anything about this. Thanks!

Regards,
Victor

Wei Zhang

Jun 9, 2021, 10:09:55 AM6/9/21
to PLUMED users
Dear Victor,
there are some examples of using lammps to do umbrella sampling with wham in the pdf file contained in the website(https://sites.udel.edu/it-rci/2018/02/28/applications-of-high-performance-computing-in-geochemistry/). Hope it will helps. (The pdf file is too larger to upload here.)
Good luck,
Wei

Victor Hue

Jun 10, 2021, 12:19:19 PM6/10/21
to plumed...@googlegroups.com
Dear Zhang,

Thanks for the website provided. I'm actually referring to the umbrella sampling using the PLUMED module (I'm currently using LAMMPS colvars module too) and try to compare both results. Thanks anyway!

Regards,
Victor

Chenghan Li

Sep 15, 2022, 2:21:26 PM9/15/22
to PLUMED users
Hi Wei,

I wonder if you used sum_hills to get the metad pmf. It uses a kernel density estimation by default which makes the pmf smooth. I am not sure about the abf thing.

Best,
Chenghan