Question on Study Materials for the "New" Test

repar...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2020, 2:33:01 PM8/31/20
to SCU PLSO CIPP Study Group

Hello all,

I had wanted to take the CIPP/US by today, before tomorrow’s updated test gets rolled out, but was unable to do so. So now I’m resuming my preparation and realize that I have the Second Edition of the U.S. Private-Sector Privacy textbook, not the Third Edition. I’m not sure if anyone knows (and I hope this is not a totally ridiculous question), but given some comments I’ve seen that the updates to the exam are pretty minimal, is it unadvisable to just use the Second Edition and read up on the 8 additional bullet-pointed content areas listed on IAPP’s website (understanding that biting the proverbial bullet and buying the Third Edition is the optimal course)? I like having a book to study from (i.e., "old school") and the IAPP site cautions that there are delays for the print edition.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and congrats to all of those who took and passed the test before the changeover!

Best,

Rich

Lisa Douglas

Aug 31, 2020, 2:37:16 PM8/31/20
to repar...@gmail.com, SCU PLSO CIPP Study Group
Hi Rich.  I am in the same position as you - 2nd edition, 3rd edition materials.  I was hoping to independently research the subjects the IAPP notes will be on the new test, and fill in my outline from there (which I'm happy to post to the shared drive).  Maybe someone with the 3rd edition can look it over and fill-in where necessary?  I hope to have my outline on the shared drive by the end of the week.

Thanks,
Lisa

msd229

Aug 31, 2020, 2:39:01 PM8/31/20
to SCU PLSO CIPP Study Group
Hi all,

I'm retaking the exam second week of September having recently taken it, I'd be happy to help come up with outline items for the new bullet points if someone wants to make a collaborative document.

Let me know!

Best,
Michelle

Lisa Douglas

Aug 31, 2020, 2:41:06 PM8/31/20
to msd229, SCU PLSO CIPP Study Group
Thank you Michelle!!  I'll let everyone know when my outline is posted.  Since it is only Monday, and I'm finishing Ch. 10, I hope to have it uploaded to the shared drive by Wednesday evening.

--
Thanks,
Lisa

Dara Gibson

Aug 31, 2020, 6:40:31 PM8/31/20
to Lisa Douglas, msd229, SCU PLSO CIPP Study Group
Thank you all so much. I too will be taking it again in September. The group has had a lot of success over the past couple of weeks, so let's continue on this positive trend! Thanks again.
 Dara

Charlyne T. Braga

May 27, 2021, 3:33:28 PM5/27/21
to SCU PLSO CIPP Study Group
Hi all,

I also used the 2nd edition as I prepare for my upcoming the CIPP exam. So just checking, since other people asked, if someone has been able to determine the differences?

Kimberly Wallace

May 27, 2021, 6:03:24 PM5/27/21
to Charlyne T. Braga, SCU PLSO CIPP Study Group
Hi Charlyne,

We have a few threads on this, you can sample them here: https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/plso-cipp/search?q=3rd%20edition