Stenotype to Digital completed.

Bob Ross

Jan 28, 2015, 5:15:05 PM1/28/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
I managed to complete the stenotype to digital.

I was asked to post some pictures of the process. This is the 1st. This is the one I will
start learning with.

My total conversion cost was about $30.

If I add the cost of the Stenotype I have a fully working setup for less than $75.00.

I found the stenotype on ebay delivered for $28.00. I'll be ordering another to incorporate
updates I want to make to it. With the cost being this low it won't be expensive at all
to have a backup system.

The hardest/longest thing was taking the keyboard code and testing every pin on the Arduino Mega
to find out what letter it produced. The author didn't want to tell anyone what they were.

100_1435.JPG
100_1438.JPG
100_1439.JPG
100_1442.JPG
100_1445.JPG
100_1454.JPG

Mirabai Knight

Jan 28, 2015, 5:18:32 PM1/28/15
to ploversteno
Nice! Do you mind if I post these pictures on the Plover Blog?
> --

Mirabai Knight, CCP, RDR
StenoKnight CART Services
917 576 4989
m...@stenoknight.com
http://stenoknight.com

Bob Ross

Jan 28, 2015, 5:21:46 PM1/28/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Not at all. I have a few more pictures but the Group wouldn't allow the other three.

Bob Ross

Jan 28, 2015, 5:23:24 PM1/28/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Here is the other three the group wouldn't allow in the original post.
100_1451.JPG
100_1453.JPG
100_1456.JPG

Mirabai Knight

Jan 28, 2015, 5:24:13 PM1/28/15
to ploversteno
Excellent. Thanks!

Bob Ross

Jan 28, 2015, 5:27:07 PM1/28/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Doing this also shortened the key stroke by better than 3/4 of the distance. I lowered the bar the keys push against to turn the
paper wheel and that made them very light to the touch also.

Tony Wright

Jan 28, 2015, 6:00:21 PM1/28/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
This looks so cool! One thing I have been thinking about is a way to use the print heads' contact with the hard rubber platen of old manual stenotypes to register keystrokes. This would work by slipping some kind of contact switches (like fabric switches, one for each letter) between the print heads and the platen, and then that could hook up to an Arduino. Did you ever consider that idea, Bob, and dismiss it for some reason? Of course your way does reduce the depth of the keystrokes, as you said.

--Tony
--Tony

Bob Ross

Jan 28, 2015, 6:11:28 PM1/28/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony,

Actually I did. They are way to close. They are only 1.23mm in size each, and have barely 1mm in spacing.
You would need to do some very high end fabrication for that.

Not to mention the numbers. When you press the space and letter it raises the numbers to the same spot
as the letters.

I was originally thinking of optical sensors but they are 5mm in size.

When I order another I want to make plastic clips that will go to the keyboard switches and look nicer.

On 01/28/2015 04:00 PM, Tony Wright wrote:
> This looks so cool! One thing I have been thinking about is a way to use the print heads' contact with the hard rubber platen of old manual stenotypes to register keystrokes. This would work by slipping some kind of contact switches (like fabric switches, one for each letter) between the print heads and the platen, and then that could hook up to an Arduino. Did you ever consider that idea, Bob, and dismiss it for some reason? Of course your way does reduce the depth of the keystrokes, as you said.
>
> --Tony
> --Tony

> --
> Mirabai Knight, CCP, RDR
> StenoKnight CART Services
> 917 576 4989 <tel:917%20576%204989>
> m...@stenoknight.com
> http://stenoknight.com

Bob Ross

Jan 28, 2015, 6:30:20 PM1/28/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
pulled several pieces out.
IMG_20150128_161310.jpg

Bob Ross

Jan 28, 2015, 7:18:23 PM1/28/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
All I need to do to this one now is figure out how to mount a Tripod to it
or maybe build a table for it.

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 4:11:28 PM UTC-7, Bob Ross wrote:

Chris Mostek

Jan 28, 2015, 7:45:57 PM1/28/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
My first thought for mounting a tripod is to use one of those quick release plates.  If you have a quick release tripod you could possibly permanantly attach a 3D printed plate.  Looks like there are such things on thingiverse already. You'd have to affix the plate to the keyboard with bolts or epoxy or something.

Bob Ross

Jan 28, 2015, 8:45:05 PM1/28/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Do you have the link?

Searching their site for it didn't return anything.

I wish I could find one of those. I'd weld, or pop rivet the thing on.

Mirabai Knight

Jan 28, 2015, 8:47:31 PM1/28/15
to ploversteno

Does your steno machine not have a tripod mount on the bottom?

Bob Ross

Jan 28, 2015, 8:47:52 PM1/28/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
I already have a Tripod, but not sure the plate that would work with it would be available anywhere.

Might have to pick up a piece of iron plate and make one.

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 5:45:57 PM UTC-7, Chris Mostek wrote:

Bob Ross

Jan 28, 2015, 8:51:31 PM1/28/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
No it does not.

On 01/28/2015 06:47 PM, Mirabai Knight wrote:

> Does your steno machine not have a tripod mount on the bottom?

Chris Mostek

Jan 28, 2015, 8:53:30 PM1/28/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5087

This one is for a targus tripod, it seems the quick release plates are unique from manufacturer to manufacturer.

I did another serach and I think this might be the way to gol it's a quick release tripod adapter.. if I understand what i'm looking at it screws on to any non-quick release tripod (the bolts are pretty standard AFIK) and then gives you quick release)  of course you'd probably want to fab your own plate for the bottom of the machine.

Bob Ross

Jan 28, 2015, 9:12:04 PM1/28/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
I was hoping to find a way to use the Steno Tripod I already have. I thought about these but
most are plastic and figured they would break too easy.

Bob Ross

Jan 28, 2015, 9:18:50 PM1/28/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Than again, since I'm just starting the learning process, I could just make sure the next one I order has
the mount on the bottom.

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 5:45:57 PM UTC-7, Chris Mostek wrote:

Bob Ross

Jan 28, 2015, 9:24:18 PM1/28/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Mirabai,

No it does not. But it's not a big deal. I'm just getting ready to start the learning process.

I'll just make sure the next one I buy has the mount or I go with a totally new model.

Bob Ross

Jan 29, 2015, 9:02:05 AM1/29/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Here is a circuit update.

This puts all the wires into 4 ribbon cables. 2 with 4 wires, 1 with 8, and one with 7.
The object was to get them next to each other. The mess with all the single is no longer
there. The red circles show each group.

Update2.3.png

Bob Ross

Jan 30, 2015, 9:05:09 PM1/30/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Another quick update. The local Home Depot was selling the dual Halogen shop lights with telescoping Tripod for $18.00.

It's yellow, so all I have to do is paint black or silver but for home it's perfect.

Drilled a 1/4" hole on the bottom and put 1/4 bolt and double nutted it. Mounted perfectly.

Now I have a Tripod. The Steno doesn't fit in it's case right now, but I'll protect it with a plastic bag when not in use
until I build a little table for the Tripod. Then I'll have it.

Bob Ross

Feb 2, 2015, 2:02:09 PM2/2/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Quick update.

I don't know how it works on Windows, for those that try to use this conversion. If you setup a laptop with Ubuntu Linux to run Plover and use this conversion you also need to download the Arduino program and install it on the laptop so it makes the needed group updates unless you manually edit your groups files and add the needed Arduino to your username or plover will not connect to it.

Bob Ross

Feb 20, 2015, 10:50:07 AM2/20/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
UPDATE

On the Keyboard Switches. The Open Steno Project Crowd Supply has just offered keyboard switches what they say
are more quite. The ones I ordered from the same company $37/Delivered for 110. The nice part is they are $0.01 ea
less. Just ordered my batch from them.

I will put them to a sound test like I did to the ones I ordered from Matias in a studio sound proof room.

The insides look exactly and the mechanical drawings are the same ones used on the switches I purchased.
Same travel, case design and so on. All measurements are exact.

I'll know more once they get here but they look to be the same with the difference of using a red tab instead of white
and they are $0.01/ea less. So it's an over all $1.50 savings.

I hope if they are not different than the ones I already purchase they will take them back.

Bob Ross

Feb 20, 2015, 11:13:54 AM2/20/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
I should have said if they are not better or the same as the ones I already ordered I hope they will take them back.

I have already converted three stenotypes for other people to learn on. Saves a bundle during learning or if they
are wanting to see if it's something they would like to do.