Chromebook steno extension

Brent

Jun 16, 2016, 2:51:28 PM6/16/16
to Plover
With the recent popularity of Chromebooks, I have been playing around with CloudReady's free ChromiumOS on an old laptop, but was disappointed to see that you can't run Plover on them, without installing a second OS.

But it turns out the Chrome Extension framework contains pretty-much everything you need to write a Chrome extension with similar functionality.

I've had some time-off recently, and was intrigued, so I began to see what I could create.  I have attached the preliminary version so far.  (Unfortunately it only works on ChromeBooks).

To install, open chrome://extensions, and drag the .crx file on to the page.  Then in order to enable it, you need to open your settings page, search for "Keyboard", select "Language and Input settings", and check "Steno Keyboard" under "Input Method".  Once it's enabled you can select your input method by clicking in the Status Area (bottom right).

I was wondering if there are any experienced JavaScript programmers out there that want to help me develop this?  If so, the code is at: https://github.com/brentn/Steno-Chrome

Steno-Chrome.crx

Brent

Jun 18, 2016, 5:06:18 PM6/18/16
to Plover
I have uploaded the latest version of the extension to the Chrome Webstore.  Use this link to find it (it is currently unlisted, so you can't search for it): https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/immagadhjngfopbgndmnpcmbjcohicpp

Mike S

Jun 19, 2016, 3:23:43 PM6/19/16
to Plover
Thanks for making this. I played around with it and I like it. I like that I can quickly go between using qwerty and steno. I'll probably make better use of this when I order a Soft Hruf from Scott. This week i might order a Steno Mask to play around more with voice dictation and I might even try the student version of a CAT voice app.

Not having to load Linux, even if it is just in another tab is a God save.

Quill James (aqwek_)

Oct 7, 2023, 12:18:15 AM10/7/23
to Plover
sadly, this extension is outdated, and Chrome no longer accepts manifest v2. I have tried to update it, but the code is too complex for me. I'm attempting to make my own, but testing will only be a windows computer, as to use it on my chromebook, I have to upload to the webstore, as it is a school-managed chromebook.  This is an awesome extension, by the way. The only reason I'm even attempting something this big is because of ChatGPT. Big props to you on making this yourself!