LibrePlanet 2021: live captioning with Plover, anyone? :)

Sebastian

Mar 4, 2021, 2:32:03 PM3/4/21
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Dear all on the Plover mailing list,

I'm writing to you representing the LibrePlanet 2021 conference, the
annual event for discussions and lectures about freedom and ethics in
computing. The topics range from free software all the way to computer
hardware that respects your right to tinker and repair.

Plover is really interesting to me - indeed it seems to be the perfect
example of a project that has empowered users, which is the theme for
LibrePlanet 2021!

One of the challenges of running such an event is making it accessible
to as many people as possible, and for this year's conference I am
looking into the possibility of live captioning for the talks.

Would anyone here like to volunteer for live captioning? Anyone is
welcome; the schedule is at https://libreplanet.org/2021 so please take
a look at the list of talks to see which ones take your fancy. Having
had the experience of doing live captioning myself I know what an
intense activity it is, so you'd certainly have my appreciation to add
to that of our hard-of-hearing attendants!

Please let me know if you are interested in making the conference more
accessible and to share in the community spirit of LibrePlanet. I am
more than happy to answer any questions sent here, to me personally, or
to the libreplanet-dev mailing list:

I'm looking forward to reading your replies!

Best wishes,

Sebastian

--
IRC nickname: 'seabass'

Noelia Ruiz

Mar 4, 2021, 3:27:39 PM3/4/21
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Hello:

This is great. I use Plover in Spanish in a company which is proprietary of the machine used by me to make captions, so I cannot contribute, but at least I"ll share the link of LibrePlanet 2021 on Twitter. My username is @norrumar
Kind regards
Enviado desde mi iPhone

> El 4 mar 2021, a las 20:32, Sebastian <seabass...@gmx.com> escribió:
>
> Dear all on the Plover mailing list,

jo...@qualdan.com

Mar 4, 2021, 4:40:14 PM3/4/21
to Plover
You could talk to https://whitecoatcaptioning.com/ but if your conference is in less than three weeks I would bet you've left it too late...

Also, what's your budget? IIRC from the last Roguelike Celebration's transparency report the fee for White Coat Captioning was around $200 per hour of captioning -- I suspect that's on the high end, but they're very good at tech stuff and totally worth it.

Sebastian

Mar 6, 2021, 10:59:58 AM3/6/21
to plove...@googlegroups.com
> This is great. I use Plover in Spanish in a company which is
> proprietary of the machine used by me to make captions, so I cannot
> contribute, but at least I"ll share the link of LibrePlanet 2021 on
> Twitter.

Thank you so much for spreading the word about LibrePlanet! That is
really appreciated. You are most welcome to enjoy the conference as an
attendee; it is free of charge and registration is optional - although
that does grant you a special discount for the GNU store! :)

Noelia Ruiz

Mar 6, 2021, 1:52:36 PM3/6/21
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I may attend the conference or some of the talks.
In fact Plover is a good example of free software, so it"s great that you have requested help on this list.
Kind regards

Enviado desde mi iPhone

> El 6 mar 2021, a las 16:59, Sebastian <seabass...@gmx.com> escribió:

Sebastian

Mar 10, 2021, 7:48:32 AM3/10/21
to plove...@googlegroups.com
> You could talk to https://whitecoatcaptioning.com/ ...

Thank you for the suggestion; I've passed this information on. I'm not
aware of any budget specifically for accessibility - hence this request
for volunteers! :) - but if there is in fact some cash put aside for
this, then White Coat Captioning do seem to offer a good service.

I noticed that one of their executives founded the Open Steno Project!
It is great to see people both writing and using free software in this
field.

For the LibrePlanet conference, we will most likely use a special IRC
channel for the entry of captions, which would then be picked up by an
bot to be relayed to our Icecast streaming server. On that topic, does
anyone here use Plover to keep up with fast-paced IRC conversations?! :D

In my first email I neglected to link to the specific schedule page; my
apologies if anyone lost time trying to find it!

https://libreplanet.org/2021/program/