Question regarding capital letters in plover

James

Oct 15, 2011, 4:04:14 AM10/15/11
to Plover
Hi

I just picked up Plover and a sidewinder keyboard (which I was going
to buy anyway and Plover just added to the benefit of buying it) and
am loving the whole thing already! I was just wondering how I could
capitalize the start of a sentence if it is the very first thing I
type in a document. The capitalization works fine after a full stop
however the very first word in a new document is lower case for me.

Is it something I am doing, or is it a bug in Plover? I noticed it
worked for you, Mirabai, in your split screen demo.

Thanks,
James

Mirabai Knight

Oct 15, 2011, 3:57:18 PM10/15/11
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Hi, James! This is not a bug; it's just kind of the way steno works.
If it doesn't have punctuation rules to follow, it won't make any
assumptions about capitalization. Sure, you might want to be
autocapped every time you started writing an email or a novel or
something, but people using Plover to write code definitely don't want
their stuff capped unless they say so explicitly. Fortunately,
capitalizing the next word manually is very easy. The stroke assigned
to this command in the default Plover dictionary is KPA; just write
that before you start and it'll capitalize the next word you write.
That's what I did in the split screen video, even though I didn't show
it on camera, 'cause I'm sneaky. This also works for capitalizing
within sentences, of course; if you want to distinguish Pat from pat
but don't feel like making a dedicated dictionary entry for the
capitalized version, just write KPA before pat and it'll come out Pat.

--
Mirabai Knight, CCP, RPR, CBC
StenoKnight CART Services

James

Oct 15, 2011, 9:36:18 PM10/15/11
to Plover
Oh, wow, that makes it easy!

On Oct 16, 3:57 am, Mirabai Knight <askelad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, James! This is not a bug; it's just kind of the way steno works.
> If it doesn't have punctuation rules to follow, it won't make any
> assumptions about capitalization. Sure, you might want to be
> autocapped every time you started writing an email or a novel or
> something, but people using Plover to write code definitely don't want
> their stuff capped unless they say so explicitly. Fortunately,
> capitalizing the next word manually is very easy. The stroke assigned
> to this command in the default Plover dictionary is KPA; just write
> that before you start and it'll capitalize the next word you write.
> That's what I did in the split screen video, even though I didn't show
> it on camera, 'cause I'm sneaky. This also works for capitalizing
> within sentences, of course; if you want to distinguish Pat from pat
> but don't feel like making a dedicated dictionary entry for the
> capitalized version, just write KPA before pat and it'll come out Pat.

Claire Frances

Mar 10, 2021, 9:51:26 PM3/10/21
to Plover
Hello, the theory the class I attend uses requires -FBG to denote capitalization. Is there a way to alter the keyboard letters from *P to -FBG from the dictionary perhaps so Plover knows to create an initial caps? The teacher says she cannot assist with any software (I am using Plover in place of Case CATalyst). Things are getting complicated, other than manually entering every example from the theory book, I was hoping to find out how to use other suffixes like -PLT to add "ment" and -AOS is 's (possessive s, that creates a space between sometimes how I use it without a command),  -AEG is -ing suffix, and so on. However, caps can't come out in text the same transposed as can suffixes that form a word when combined, if I am clear.

Thanks if anyone knows how to create an initial cap command that is not preformatted in Plover (ie., I see the command dictionary has R*R for 'return' command, translates {#Return}{^} - so if I am understanding, I could enter KWR-RBGS for instance to denote return instead of R*R and get the same results? R-R is the word "or" in RW/RT theory.

Thanks for any feedback, sorry I am rudimentary at Plover, python.

Glen Warner

Mar 11, 2021, 12:24:39 AM3/11/21
to Plover
Hi, Claire.

Did you see my response to your original post? If not, take a look and see if that offers any help.

--gdw

Claire France

Mar 11, 2021, 12:50:09 AM3/11/21
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Thank you everyone for the replies. For Cheap and Sleazy, I just wanted to say I actually tried your suggestion to save the dictionary in a shared folder, One Drive but strangely it copied fine, rtf dictionary, and I saw from preview pane that there are lots of entries but then when I went to enter translations it seemed to add that but it had absolutely no entries showing up on the dictionary so I just went back and used the dictionary as I have it.

However good news and many thanks to the responses I will have to re-read to try and see if I can do anything with my limited knowledge but the developer, Benoit, certainly is 👏amazing. I right clicked on the taskbar and saw that it has a little yellow folder icon with the config  file location. I was able to follow that and i
so I was totally thrilled. Thanks for the extra  route Plover, so thank you very much.