Sharing dictionary between plover and commercial software

Cristian Illuminati

May 18, 2019, 7:56:22 AM5/18/19
to Plover
Hello.
Does anybody know if there is any dictionary format that can be used either with plover or with commercial softwares (i.e. Case CATalyst) without the need of converting from one format to another?
Thank you.

jessica caudron

May 18, 2019, 8:05:44 AM5/18/19
to Plover
I think there's a plug-in either developed or being developed for that, but I use Case and I just convert my Case dictionary to RTF periodically since I find Plover is not sturdy enough for dictionary work. RTF/CRE is the most universal format currently for dictionaries.

Glen Warner

May 18, 2019, 10:54:35 AM5/18/19
to Plover
Jessica is right -- there are a few plugins available that should be able to convert a Case, Eclipse, or a digitalCAT dictionary into something Plover could use directly, bypassing the RTF step entirely.

Unfortunately, there appears to be some sort of bug in all of the plugins which doesn't allow the converted dictionary to actually appear, according to this bug report.

Hopefully that one will be ready by the time the next release is ... well, released.

--gdw

Cristian Illuminati

May 19, 2019, 10:46:01 AM5/19/19
to Plover
Thanks for your answer. So you have to take care not to modify or add entries to the dictionary from plover, as those will not be visible in your case dictionary. Am I right?
Also I have a json dictionary that would like to use in catalyst. Does anyone know a way to convert that? I've tryed the converter but it doesn't seem to work.
Thanks.

Cristian Illuminati

May 19, 2019, 10:48:19 AM5/19/19
to Plover
Yes, I've tried those plugins and could not make them work.
I hope they can be reviewed.
Thanks for your answer.

jessica caudron

May 19, 2019, 8:50:00 PM5/19/19
to Plover
Correct. Just remember to make permanent dictionary changes to the Case dictionary. I also didn't have much success converting my json to rtf.

Vicente Mendoza

May 19, 2019, 8:59:21 PM5/19/19
to plove...@googlegroups.com
I use an RTF exported from CaseCatlyst.  My RTF dictionary is over 400,000 words and it works fine with Plover.  The only thing I did was tweak the spelling alphabet and got rid of all the speaker colloquy entries.  I use plover for everything from letters, e-mails, anything I do in the office.   I use CaseCatlyst in the courtroom, but everything else in the office is Plover.

Cristian Illuminati

May 19, 2019, 9:40:40 PM5/19/19
to Plover
I could finally convert json to rtf manually, with some manipuation via Excel. Now I have all my dictionaries in catalyst and export from there to use them with plover.
If someone needs to convert from json to rtf, I could tell how to do it.
Thank you.

Tina Owens

May 20, 2019, 6:09:57 AM5/20/19
to plove...@googlegroups.com
I AM reading this without really knowing what is going on but I inferred Jason is a dictionary that is electronic and so it coverts into rtf abs makes a larger dict
I AM indecisive about a machine but I heard WAVE is good for me so there is refurbished ones just not sure on the decisions
Thank for reading happy week everyone

Glen Warner

May 20, 2019, 10:18:33 AM5/20/19
to Plover
On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 3:09:57 AM UTC-7, Tina Owens wrote:
I AM reading this without really knowing what is going on but I inferred Jason is a dictionary that is electronic and so it coverts into rtf abs makes a larger dict
I AM indecisive about a machine but I heard WAVE is good for me so there is refurbished ones just not sure on the decisions
Thank for reading happy week everyone

Hi, Tina.

That's not quite it.

JSON is a format for Plover dictionaries, which commercial CAT software doesn't support -- yet.

You can have your Plover dictionaries in either .json format or .rtf format, but if you plan on moving those dictionaries to commercial CAT software someday, it will have to be in RTF format.

For instance, Stan Sakai created a Spanish dictionary, complete with all the carets and other weird symbols ... and that dictionary is in .json format, because the .rtf dictionary cannot handle all those extra characters. Check the screenshot:

stanz_spanish_dictionary.png

... so an RTF dictionary wouldn't be able to display many of those dictionary entries.

As for your writer question, I would probably start searching on Stenoworks, then Acculaw, and finally, eBay

The good thing about eBay is that some of the steno repair techs sell their used writers there ... and as for which ones to avoid, I would steer clear of anything below a Stentura 500, anything made by "Xscribe," or anything made by Baron.

The Wave is probably okay, but as a rule, I never recommend student writers, because of the small amount of memory they have (usually enough to hold about 50 pages).

If you go for one of the old writers that use paper, you seller should be able to make them paperless -- which is important because the company that made the ribbons for those writers now exclusively make paperless writers, and therefore no longer make the ribbons.

Oh, and it might be a good idea if you were to check to see if there was a steno repair shop in your area. That way, you could probably pick one up today!

Good luck!

--gdw

Claire Frances

Jan 24, 2021, 9:02:17 PM1/24/21
to Plover
Hello, I am supposed to begin my first theory class tomorrow. I spent all morning yesterday attempting to install Python, reinstalling, and Googling the error (not uncommon) but with no resolution, I was very interested in the Plover dictionary, wanting and hoping to find a useful way to study for class. I have a Stentura, can't afford to experiment with the great looking Qwerty emulations out there Plover adverts, even wrote the developers HRUF, et al. Anyway, my situation is I saw the dictionary convert Python based Plover download at Github but ((sigh))http://plover.stenoknight.com/2012/12/dictionary-converter.html  no python! (attempted all 3 versions from Microsoft store and another separate download). It is very frustrating. I am older, experiencing issues with dexterity now and fear not being able to hold my own for this class. I am more interested in learning scoping at this point due to the reality base of my osteo issue. Anyway, I tried to convert VIM which seems really intriguing and is a downloadable python based file, but it does not convert from the free conversions I located online.

I am going about it longwinded but extraneously thought of the program I was able to use (CaseCAT is offered free student version with this class, so though the teacher wants paper screenshots, my writer Stentura200 came modified so as not really able to use paper, or using it but have to manually remove the expensive cartridge every time. I know CaseCAT can print the notes, but to practice I was hoping also to possibly utilize anything I can, including VIM commands, and Anki (I did get the import downloaded dictionary but it seems very limited on my machine, the one that offers images of the Steno writer, and though the same download also worked on my Android, the images do not show up,

 the VIM commands from the download at http://www.openstenoproject.org/stenodict/dictionaries/vim_di.html  - but no Python, and appears there is no other way to use this feature, though it seems more for experienced writers.

It appears I am stuck with fearing bentendian (bent finger syndrome!), so anyway, I also am able to use GlobalCAT which a teacher at another California college freely installed for me (available still with dictionaries viewable at GC subfolder - http://web.archive.org/web/20040612032151/http://www.globalcat32.com/ ) - a DigitalCAT precursor, (teacher told me the original developer got lost on a mountain in 2000, demised). Too, it accepts, easily, dictionary imports and offers many good features including a good study tool, reverse transcription via the Notereader feature; and which happens luckily to offer in the C:/GC/GC installation subfolder a copy of my upcoming theory teacher's theory (Realwrite/Realtime, which is also included in CaseCAT), but I don't know how to get it into Plover as a separate dictionary.

Well, not true fully, I actually attempted that today also, maybe it worked, but I do not view how to designate the 'typist' working dictionary as only the Realwrite/RealTime theory dictionary, (I very much appreciate Plover, but can say my chords do not come out the same, frustrating when not using the modern key-writing NKRO boards but new to steno writer/old steno machines), not using Plover's StenEd based dictionary (again, anyone with any suggestions/instructions for layperson, very welcome). Seems I am getting dead-end work, but none of the needed practice.

I did 'discover the Android version of Ankiweb (https://apps.ankiweb.net/) now on my desktop but again the downloaded dictionary is limited, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1veKeXHjt2363C4RCNiZB9ScYZgKnfHMv/view. Maybe I am doing something wrong, no 'stories' just the partial alphabet it seems - but there is also an OpenGL error read on my PC, which I saw there are downloads for 4.6, but not the 2. something they say is missing, and I can't find further info on updating it). I had thought the apkg file for desktop Anki with 'stories' I really hoped to view would install, maybe I need to attempt it again from https://github.com/mkrnr/stenostories/blob/master/lists/ngsl.tsv

But it's not the theory we have to learn, or at least not dictionary ready for Realtime/Realwrite - or I am not sure that would even be possible, would it, to have apkg files like stenostories (which will only render one "Dummy" file without the list via readme file, but I managed the download from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i-1symPTfaZ3Xh9yZLcNTVxEk6RQMlad/view) be translated in Plover using the installed (which I did, I think?), the Realwrite/Realtime theory?

I know the original question offered was very concise, the issues not problematic, and I just wanted to say I started off with that simple set up in my mind, just wanting to get a head start on study, with 4 hours/daily practice expected (starting yesterday) but I am running the hampster cage from here, and getting nowhere (lol, f-a-s-t).

Thanks for your patience, but I did think the GlobalCAT might assist the person who posted initially. They have the manual I believe on that website. if not post, and I can provide attachment or link (what was shared with me).

Thanks again!
Claire (present and fearing pandemic student of steno)