Correct TRRS cable for Georgi.

mm jj

Feb 9, 2021, 2:04:03 AM2/9/21
to Plover
Hello.

I just got my Georgi and was all excited to start learning Plover, but I realized I ordered the wrong TRRS cable. The cable I have is TRS - TRRS. It appears I need TRRS to TRRS. I'm in South Korea, and the only option appears to be to order it from abroad. Is this type of chord that rare? TRS to TRRS chords are easy to find, but there is nowhere to buy the TRRS-TRRS locally. Do I have something confused here? This seems odd to me.

Also, are the keycaps on the Georgi removable? One of the keys is sticking out of the box, making it impossible to chord. I was hoping I would be able to remove the keycap and figure something out...

Best,

Max

Ted Morin

Feb 9, 2021, 9:39:04 AM2/9/21
to Plover
Hi Max,

TRRS cables aren't too uncommon online, but they can be hard to find in store. I've had success ordering from Aliexpress. Just a quick look on Coupang and I found an option: https://www.coupang.com/vp/products/4947427495
It helps to look at the photo and make sure that there are four lines on both sides.

The key caps on the Georgi are removable. It helps to pull up on both sides of the key, go slow, and wiggle it slightly. You may also consider purchasing a keycap puller which makes this a little easier.

Ted

mm jj

Feb 9, 2021, 9:41:21 AM2/9/21
to Plover
Hi Ted,

Thanks for the reply. It looks like that one on Coupang is coming from abroad as well. I ordered a similarly priced product off Gmarket. It should be here in two weeks! Also, thanks for the tip on the Georgi.

Max

Robert Winkler

Feb 10, 2021, 11:10:15 AM2/10/21
to mm jj, Plover
Hi Max:

For connecting the two halves, actually 3 cables are required: VCC, Grnd
and Serial (please correct me when I wrong, but I am assuming standard
QMK configuration). In fact, any three cables should do, if you are not
afraid of messing around with the plugs. I e.g. use RJ9 for connecting
halves of a manuform split keyboard (I am in Mexico, and telephone
cables are much easier to get and cheaper than TRRS).

The keycaps should not stick out. Have you tried to push it in
properly?

Best regards,

Robert

Excerpts from mm jj's message of 2021-02-08 23:04:03 -0800: